Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: What's Your Skill Level

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by t_ross33
    As mentioned in a previous post, I had my first ever guitar lesson today. It was pretty cool. The local guitar teacher has me on a standby list if he has a cancellation or someone misses a class, so I have to jump in on short notice.

He's going to work on some theory, scales, leads/soloing with me which is just what I need. Ran through maj and min pentatonic scales in various positions on the fretboard, some cool little bends and worked a bit on tying them together. : I have some work ahead of me, but it's so much better having someone show me, in 3-D rather than trying to glean it from paper or a DVD.

My skill level may just ratchet up a notch! Look out world, Rawk Star in the making

My teacher is a guitar player/vocalist/songwriter for THIS band.

Trev
    Trev,

Good for you. It would be interesting to get additional reports from you with feedback on how the lessons are going.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

personally i think that im aabout intermediate...i know ALOT of theory i.e. scales, chords patterns keys anything that has to do with music, i probably know...but im slightly lacking in the playing department. ive been playing for about five years and between work, and the rest of my life i dont have nearly as much time as i would like to play.
    "What about making a TACO smoothie?"

2006 Fender Highway One Stratocaster
    2001 Fender Standard Stratocaster, heavily modded with hand wound, custom designed pickups, custom pickguard, phase and kill switches and mid boost (i.e. my baby)
    2005 Schecter C-1 Classic
    2004 Rogue RA 100-D acoustic
    2005 Vox AD-30, modded with Celestion G 10 and custom Birch housing
    Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
    Dunlop Crybaby
    Boss DD-5 pedal
    Ibanez TS9DX (analog man mod)
    Visual Sound Visual Volume Pedal
    George L's cables
    Pedaltrain pedalboard

Post Thanks / Like

I'm OK. Have been playing a long time and can do what I need to do both on rhythm and lead, but I'm more interested in doing original music (whether mine or my bandmates', depending on the band) than being a virtuosic guitarist.

I'm fairly decent at sitting in and faking and can pick up stuff or make up a part on the fly fairly well. Those are strengths. Weaknesses would be anything related to speed or special techniques like tapping or sweep picking, I simply have no interest in those things whatsoever.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I find it really difficult to determine my own skill level. I'm sure others can do that better than I can, since most of us are our own worst critic. Thanks all the comments, guys.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Whats my level? Suck is a level!!!
    I been playing a few years now.. I guess Beginner Plus?
    I can do major and minor penatonics.. open chords.. have trouble with barr chords..
    All I wanted to learn is easy 12 bar blues and some folk type playing of the usual 3 or 4 chords
    in different keys when I started.. that make sense? So I can do that.. sometimes.. most the time
    I still have major trouble with timing..
    I am starting to keep up with recordings if they are not to hard...
    I owe all I know to the internet..which isn't saying much if you hear me!! lol
    I still don't play in front of people..but recording does not bother me!
    I added Plus to Beginner because I am good at G.A.S. !! which is a major Plus!!
    I enjoy buying stuff and figuring out why I did? haha

Latest song I am learning.. is Wilburys Handle me with care..
    Which I suck at.. but I have fun with it all!!

Welp..I still have the fire to learn..and will continue..
    inspite of no talent..lol
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; November 2nd, 2007 at 11:31 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I thought I would resurrect this since we have a number of new members.

I will also add a question - when do you feel a beginner can be classified/identified as and intermediate? There's no right answer, but maybe some comments of what an intermediate player should be able to do that a beginner most likely cannot.

I am clueless, so I offer - NOTHING
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Know what playing in key means be able to play most common chords/scales in a musical manner

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,I would consider myself a beginner with a clue.I really need to play more rhythm with my g-dec(It helps my timing alot).I can string licks together but if I cant jump back in the song (play rhythm) that aint no good.P.S.reading all this good stuff on here has helped me to have one of my guitars in hand 10 times more.I only watch tv about 5 hrs a week now,spend more time with my daughter,so its a good thing.Sumi

Post Thanks / Like

i've been playing for about a year now..
    but just playing... not really "learning" so im not that impressive..

maybe a bit under intermediate?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm good enough for myself to not wanting to stop playing and advancing.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm good enough to hold my own in most situations, and I'm confident in my abilities as a player.

But I'm pretty hard on myself...........................I'm nowhere near the player I want to be. I guess that is what keeps me happily spanking the plank.

Strengths? I have a good ear and I think my touch is pretty good.

Weaknesses? I get lazy and skip personal practice sometimes. I'm not a fast player by any means. My knowledge of music theory could fill a thimble.

All said, though, I'm pretty happy with where I am as a player.

On the Strum's beginner question:

I think you transition out of beginner level when you develop enough feel for it to start playing and working on your own - you start building your own foundation and finding your own direction.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

I think the beginner-to-intermediate shift happens when your focus becomes less about the mechanics of playing the instrument (how to hold the pick, how to finger a G chord, etc.) and more about what you play on it (learning songs, improvising over changes, etc.). At some point you spend more time thinking about playing music and less about playing guitar. IMHO.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Skill Level....

Semi-Pro, 10 years under my belt.
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Intermediate. Been "playing" for 33 years with a 15 year hiatus which impacted my growth!

Post Thanks / Like

I suck therefore I am
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like

Is there a level before novice/beginner?:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Swampy
    Is there a level before novice/beginner?:
    Yea, a nobody.
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Post Thanks / Like

ah, you guys are too hard on yourself.

Plank and Ro3b, interesting answers regarding the transition from beginner to intermediate.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    ah, you guys are too hard on yourself.

Plank and Ro3b, interesting answers regarding the transition from beginner to intermediate.
    Maybe they are but I'll bet y'all are having fun with the instruments.

I enjoy mine whenever I'm good or bad.

_____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast