Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
New David Gilmour CD!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New David Gilmour CD!

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation New David Gilmour CD!

I know there's a lot of Pink Floyd fans on our forum, so I just thought I'd mention that David Gilmour's new album "On An Island" is set for release this coming Tuesday, 3/7/06.

David Gilmour has one of the most instantly recognized guitar tones and playing styles in all of rock, and truly, has been at the forefront of modern rock music for well over (30) years. It goes without saying that he's influenced millions of guitarists around the world, including myself.

I probably speak for every Pink Floyd fan in that I will always remember the very first time & place I ever heard their music. The song was "Money", and I distinctly remember being totally mesmerized as soon as those first opening chords hit my ears. I was speechless, dumbfounded, excited, and mystified - all at the same time. My life hasn't been the same since.

I have David's two other solo albums, "David Gilmour", and "About Face", and they're both fine efforts by a songwriter / guitarist / musician par excellence'. If you're looking for a Pink Floyd album, however, I will warn you that while David guitar's and vocals are a big part of the Pink Floyd sound, his solo material tends to stay a safe distance away from it. Not that you won't hear cool, Floydian-type stuff going on. I mean, it's bound to happen. But don't expect another "Dark Side of the Moon", or "Wish You Were Here". My initial take on it is that the style of it will be closer to the more recent Pink Floyd releases, i.e. "Momentary Lapse of Reason" and "The Division Bell". All things being considered, I can't remember many CD's in the last (5) - (10) years that I was as excited about coming out as this one!

Anyways, here's the Amazon.com link to David's page. They have a cool mini-rockumentary type video available, too, so for sure check that out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=glance&n=5174
    Last edited by Nelskie; March 5th, 2006 at 08:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

i'm with you nelskie....i'll be getting it on tuesday!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Looks pretty swish. I've always loved Pink Floyd, ever since I heard Time, and because Gilmour is the genious behind the guitar the I have come to love the sound of, I'm going to have to get this album.

regards

Matt
    Guitars: Squier '51, Fender Classic Player's 60s Strat, Epiphone Dot, Ibanez SA260FM (Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Trilogy Suite p'ups)

Pedals: Fender Pt100, Tech21 Double Drive, BYOC Mighty Mouse, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss DD-20

Amp: Blackstar HT-20 Studio, Fender Blues Jr

Post Thanks / Like

Streaming is being offered on a few things from his web site. I found out about this last week. Check it out.
    http://www.davidgilmour.com/island.htm

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Swish, eh? I like that term, Matt. I just may have adopt that word for my own use. Cheers!

Post Thanks / Like

Gilmour has had to have influence on just about every guitar player since his days starting with Floyd one way or another. He can just stun the hell out of you with his feelings runing through those strings... Check him out on his Acoustic DVD "David Gilmour In Concert" also.... The man just has the gift!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Geez, you guys are really making me feel old now, because nobody even mentioned the original Floyd guitarist and frontman, Syd Barrett. I bought their original release in 1967, "Piper at the Gates of Dawn". It was just a little too strange for my delicate teenage sensibilities at the time, and I really didn't listen to them much until Gilmour replaced Barrett, due to the latter's unfortunate mental breakdown. "Dark Side of the Moon" was the next Floyd album I purchased. Yes, a new Gilmour release is certainly cause for eager anticipation.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Swish, eh? I like that term, Matt. I just may have adopt that word for my own use. Cheers!
    By all means, nab it! It's a perfectly promulent word

and Voodoo, theres a reason why I didnt mention Syd: After hearing Bike, my views on him where somewhat lessened But the simple fact is, Gilmour was the better musician, and the songs he created with them were absolutley fantastic. High Hopes and Time are just a few of my personal favs

regards

Matt
    Guitars: Squier '51, Fender Classic Player's 60s Strat, Epiphone Dot, Ibanez SA260FM (Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Trilogy Suite p'ups)

Pedals: Fender Pt100, Tech21 Double Drive, BYOC Mighty Mouse, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss DD-20

Amp: Blackstar HT-20 Studio, Fender Blues Jr

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo - I'll have to agree with Matt on that one. Gilmour, IMHO, is a far better, more rounded musician. I also have "Piper...", but it was a purchase that I made only to complete my Floyd catalog. Like you, I felt it was a bit "out there" for my personal listening tastes. "Dark Side of the Moon" is, and will always be, my favorite Floyd studio release, if for nothing else that it was the very first Floyd album I purchased, and also, that "Money" was the song that started it all out for me. By and large, the Floyd catalog is an amazing collection of music, and certainly, it would be my opinion that every guitarist should own at least one Pink Floyd album.

Tuesday evening is already bench-marked for the release-day listening session, and I've invited over some friends to share in the revelry. We're planning on spinning the "Momentary Lapse" live DVD following our debut listen of the CD. It should be a lot of fun. Maybe I'll even dial in a few Floydian tones on the Cyber Twin, and call my MIJ Squier Strat into duty for a little impromptu Floyd jam session?!!

Looking forward to hearing everyone's take on the CD post-Tuesday.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    Voodoo - I'll have to agree with Matt on that one. Gilmour, IMHO, is a far better, more rounded musician.
    No arguments, from me, fellas! Just mentioned ol' Syd 'cuz he always comes to mind when somebody mentions Floyd. He had the reputation of being something of a musical genius, but one with a head full of demons, too, it seems. We'll never know what his true potential was due to the mental illness that cut short his musical career. Sad story....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I know absolutely what you're saying, Voodoo, and agree totally. Syd Barrett, sadly, is a musical *footnote to the Pink Floyd legacy, and perhps due to good cause. If Syd hadn't the problems he did, perhaps we would have never experienced the total awesome-ness of David Gilmour, or basked in the glow of his mucisal contributions to Pink Floyd. Given the circumstances of Syd's "uncertain" capacity to deal with conscious thought, it may have been the best thing for all parties considered.

It is with great elation that I say that the Pink Floyd story "blossomed" after Syd left the band, and that has been a good thing for all of us Pink Floyd fans in general.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the full album stream for the new Gilmour CD.
    Enjoy.
    http://www.whas.com/cc-common/mfeatures/davidgilmour/

Post Thanks / Like

Default i just got the cd...

and have listened to it once. Very nice...alot of the songs are (obviously) pink floydish. That Gilmore sound is definately still there!

"This Heaven" has a totaly different vibe and starts out with some acoustic licks. Great tune.

"Then I close My Eyes" starts off with some acoustical country/bluegrass licks....then mellows out with some gilmore tone with some slide in the background....interesting.

anyway....as with any gilmore/pink floyd tunes i'll need to listen to it many times to pick up on all the small nuances and such that are going on...

definately worth getting.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the FULL ALBUM stream!!! Saved me from waiting to hear this or buying it... I really dig Gilmour... loved Floyd.. Really Enjoy Gilmour's Concert DVD.. but this left me flat... One song.. the very first one.. Castellorizon (excellent) , it sounded like Gilmour was going to let go and "Give Those Screaming Solos" and then The rest just Fluttered out to me like the Amph was gone.. I have seen ads for Insomnia Music and could see a market there for this... I am laid back.. but this put me to sleep trying to listen.. maybe I am wrong... but just to much arrangements for me... Most songs in the 5 to 6 minute range , he wont have to worry about air play.. I have to give it a thumbs down... and hope for his next release.. sigh
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 8th, 2006 at 02:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    I have to give it a thumbs down... and hope for his next release.. sigh
    So, as a very big fan of David Gilmour, I'm a little bit disappointet, too. It starts well but then it has no tension. And definatley far too less guitar. There were outtakes of jamming in the studio on his homepage, and that jams were much more interesting.

So the base structure and sound of the songs is good, but there's something missing.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Keep listening. I have the album and yes it "has no screamin solo's". It is still pretty good in it's own right. Don't compare it. Just appreciate it for what it is. Laidback, Yes. Good production though. There are some special moments on the record.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Keep listening.
    Of course we will, supdman. At all, it is not really bad music. But the expectations were high. An mine were not fullfilled. There are parts of the album, that compare to "Animals" or "Obscured by clouds", some to "Meddle" but most of all without the highlights of theses albums.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Chris, I also felt the "Animals" in this album.... I can't keep listening..It's not the Gilmour I was looking for.. although the first cut will be played a few times on the computer...

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Tough crowd. The absolute last thing in my mind following my debut listen to the new Gilmour CD was was that it was disappointing. Different? Sure, I think one could only hope so. But then again, I remember when "About Face" came out a few years back, and there were more than enough critical comments about that release, many very similar in nature to what I've read here.

For an even comparison, I dug out "About Face" and "David Gilmour" this past weekend (both on pristine vinyl!), and listened to both of them side to side. Like I said in my initial post, Gilmour's sound and style are very Floyd-based. But in my mind, the flow, feel, and dynamic of his solo material comes across on a totally different wavelength. Playing within the context of band setting is also much different from creating music as a solo artist / arranger. Personally, I like the fact that David collaborated with so many other artists on his latest release. It not only provided an avenue to infuse some other kinds of things into his music, but also proved that his musical foundation, even at this point in his career, is still expanding.

I would also suspect that David is only too familiar with pitfalls of being a member of Pink Floyd. With its notariety, it also brings the staggering weight of the Floyd catalog to bear judgment on every note of every song. Really, it's little wonder that his output as a solo artist has been minimal. And that's sad for us, because he is such a tremendous talent.

You know, I hear this same kind of thing every time the Stones release a new album, too, so you'd think by now I would become indifferent to it. But the fact that these artists continue to create great music well into their formative years should bear witness to their stature as revered, vital performers, and certainly, a modicum of respect from us as fans for having given so much wonderful music to enjoy. Hence, I cast my vote for "On An Island" as a solid, interesting, and creative effort by one of rock's best.

I believe someone once told Ferdinand Magellan that the world was flat. And the Wright Brothers that they'd never fly. One hears what they want to hear.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast