Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Flat-out cool rock n' roll photo

Thread: Flat-out cool rock n' roll photo

Post Thanks / Like

Default Flat-out cool rock n' roll photo

My fellow Fretters: I came across this photo while doing an image search for John Mayall on Google.com (and I have Tone2thebone to thank for that). Anyways, it was just so totally cool, that I though I'd just have share it w/everyone.

The line-up (left to right) is as follows: Eric Burdon (Mr. Animal himself); John Mayall (rear) (Professor, British University of Killer Blues Rock et al); Voodoo Child Jimi Hendrix (dig those crazy blue crushed-velvet pants); a youthful Steve Winwood (Traffic's golden pipes and killer Hammond); and Carl Wayne (*see below). Killer snap, don'tcha think?

Anyways, I can hear a few whispers in the background, "Who is Carl Wayne?" Well . . . OK, me too. Anyways, I was curious, and found that Mr. Wayne used to be the frontman for a band called "The Move", and let me tell you right now, this wasn't no ordinary front-man, or band, in any sense of the word. If you thought David Lee Roth was a total wildman, check out Carl Wayne and The Move's rap sheet:

One of the most distinctive and versatile voices in music, Carl achieved major recording success with The Move, whose many hits include Blackberry Way, Fire Brigade, Curly, I Can Hear The Grass Grow and Flowers In The Rain, the first ever record played on BBC Radio 1 by DJ Tony Blackburn.

An exceptional stage performer and vocalist, Carl was The Move's front man and spokesman during their most dynamic and controversial years. Their live shows, while musically thrilling and accomplished, have been remembered for Carl's frenzied demolitions of televisions, instruments and stages with an axe, chain-sawing a Cadillac to pieces at London's famous Roundhouse during Fire Brigade, resulting in Soho being jammed with fire engines. So shocking and fiery were The Move live, that, for a while, the group were banned from every theatre venue in the UK. They even threatened Harold Wilson's 1960's English Labour government with the furore surrounding Flowers In The Rain's promotional campaign. Away from the controversy and violence, The Move scored top ten success in the UK and European charts with Roy Wood's classic songs and performed with The Jimi Hendrix Experience, Cream, The Pink Floyd and many more. Shazam, Carl's final album with The Move, was described as "a masterpiece" by Rolling Stone magazine and contained one of his finest vocal performances on the Wood-penned Beautiful Daughter.

So how about that for rock n' roll cred?!!! Did'ja catch that bit about threatening the government? My friends, THAT is rock n' roll. Carl Wayne is someone I definitely want to know more about!

If you want to check out a bit more about Carl Wayne, and his band of merry savages in "The Move", here's a web link:

http://www.themoveonline.com/index.html

Me, I'm off to Amazon.com to probe further.

Enjoy the photo!

Post Thanks / Like

VERY cool photo. Whoa, there's an incredible amount of rock history tied up in a few pixels there! Thanks for posting it, Nelskie....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, sweet find there Nelskie. That is totally cool!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Dig the vibe from those groovy cats man. Far out Nelskie!
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

When I did a show with Eric Burdon I wanted to talk to him about his past connections with Hendrix and the like but he was too busy hitting on the babes to make time for me. The man is a true rock star.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

...and Steve Winwood is no slouch on the guitar, either (though certainly not in Jimi's league)!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I found this jem. Who Woulda thunk?
    Last edited by Spudman; October 19th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    I found this jem. Who Woulda thunk?
    i think that is a still from the dvd "The Rolling Stones Rock & Roll Circus"

it's a cool dvd and john lennon, clapton and keith richards play on the dvd as the Dirty Mac.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. I hadn't heard of that one.

Post Thanks / Like

Dirty Mac
    John Lennon, Keith Richards, Eric Clapton, Mitch Mitchell

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqWK7p8DX-Y&NR

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Spud. I've heard the CD before, but never watched the DVD. Too cool!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I was reading some comments for a "Best of" album for the move. They went on to morph into another group, the Electric Light Orchestra. Read the first comment at the link below.

Great Move
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Holy f*&$ Batman. I loved ELO as a kid. I haven't heard them in forever.
    I pick a moon dog.