View Poll Results: What size of screen would you go for on a new laptop?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • 13 inch

1 6.25%
  • 15 inch

7 43.75%
  • 17 inch

8 50.00%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting a laptop

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Getting a laptop

Ok, I need to get a better computer, so I'm thinking why not a laptop. Probably will to the PC route in order to keep the costs down a bit (I know the Powerbooks are really good).

What about Dell? See this one - http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

I am going to use it for recording my music and videos. No gaming.

Any tips or suggestions appreciated.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an expert on what is the best, but I have a Dell Latitude D820 and really enjoy it. It's wirerless which makes it great at home, office or anywhere I can pick up a signal.

I purchased a Dell Vestro 1500 laptop for my son and he has no complaints. When I purchased it, they only offered it to Small Businesses. I actually had to call and fight for the thing and demand to speak to one supervisor after another until they agreed to sell it.

So, I like Dell. I have heard that they aren't as good as they use to be, but I've had no problems with them and have owned 5 or 6, plus we have about 150 Dells at work.

Since you can build what you want, I would suggest going to their site and putting a couple of models together and see what you get.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

For work we use Dell exclusively. I've had my notebook in dusty,hot and cold. Cold like on the roof of a college comissioning controls Dec.23 while it's snowing !
    I just got my Mom an Inspiron 1721, she is very happy with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Toshiba is pretty good too? This one looks like a good deal -
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3334088
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Toshiba is pretty good too? This one looks like a good deal -
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...?EdpNo=3334088
    I've heard decent things about Toshiba, but when I was shopping for my son's laptop, I compared a number of makes side-by-side and Dell always came out the least expensive. I did look at Toshiba, but I don't remember the model, although it wouldn't matter since they change model numbers about every three months.

There are a number of good ones out there, so I guess I would stress to compare every feature side-by-side.

Another thing, I have yet to hear anything good about Windows Vista. Now they may have worked out the bugs, but when I purchased my last two computers from Dell, I insisted on XP. Just MHO.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

The good thing about Dell are their warranties. Just about all laptops available on the market nowadays are identical in build quality. After sale support is what makes the big difference.
    Guitars (All Lefty): Fender MIM Wine Red Telecaster
    Washburn D10SCELHBK
    Greg Bennett (Samick) Avion AV3/LH/CS
    Franken-Strat (Maple Neck / Black Body & Pickguard / 2-Point Tremolo / GFS Alnico Single-coil Pups / Gold Hardware)
    2 Fullerton Standard Strats; Sunburst w/ GFS Overwound P'ups and Black w/ GFS Lil Killer Rail 'Buckers
    Fullerton Deluxe Dreadnought
    Amp: Blackheart BH1HS Killer Ant Half Stack (Bitmo Ant Eater Kit)
    Crate V18-112 (Goodsell RGM Speaker / Accutronics Tank / Switch R4 - R10 Mod)
    Pignose G40V (Jensen MOD Speaker / DC Heater Mod / Pentode:Triode Switch)
    Fender Champion 30 Reverb (Accutronics Tank / Jensen MOD Speaker)
    Speaker Cab: Lopo 1x12 Tweed Convertible w/ Eminence GB128 Speaker
    Pedals: Korg ToneWorks AX1000G, AX5G, & AmpworksG Modeling Signal Processors
    Boss DS-1 (Rectifier Tri-Gain Plus Mod); CS-3 (Opto Plus Mod); SD-1 Super (GT Mod); GE-7 (Plus Mod)
    Fender PT-100 Tuner
    E.H. Big Muff Pi (US)
    S.D. Pickup Booster
    Ibanez CF7 Chorus/Flanger
    Alesis NanoVerb
    ART Tube MP Studio (OPA2604 Op Amps) (On Champion 30)
    Behringer NR100 & OD100

Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I know that you said that you´d like to take the PC route once again, but I would really recommend that you check out Apple´s powerbook line. You are going to LOVE the operating system (all unix based). It comes with GB and iMovie which are two excellent applications that would suit your needs perfectly. You get MORE with a Mac

Sorry, please go on with the PC discussion...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

If your getting a laptop for recording/video work a couple of tips lots of ram 1-2 gigs preferred, 2 if its running Vista, fast processor and fast hard drive not one of those pokey 5400 rpm unit they like to put in laptops
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

I have a 500 gig external drive that is 7200 rpm. I use Firewire to record on it. Wouldn't going this route solve the problem with a typical laptop's 5400 rpm only internal hard drive?

I know the Mac's are great. They cost a lot more though...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Robert,

I know that you said that you´d like to take the PC route once again, but I would really recommend that you check out Apple´s powerbook line. You are going to LOVE the operating system (all unix based). It comes with GB and iMovie which are two excellent applications that would suit your needs perfectly. You get MORE with a Mac

Sorry, please go on with the PC discussion...
    I'll just second that. I am not nearly as advanced as SS on recording with one, but I have run a law office for over 10 years on that platform. They do cost as you say, but if you compare the specs directly, they compare pretty well with similarly equipped PCs according to articles I have seen. Plus, the experience is just that much better. The law office I share space with regularly has a tech in working on their network, drivers, whatever. I never have. I have had on warranty repair done on a sound card. That's it in all those years. I know you are trying to limit the discussions to PCs, but I think you should at least go and check out the comparisons for yourself before making a decision.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I am good at fixing PCs', I have worked as a repair guy and I used to be way into repairing and building PC's.

It's hard to decide! The Dell XPS look awesome! http://www1.ca.dell.com/content/prod...hs1&l=en&s=dhs

Post Thanks / Like

I will be watching on which one you end up with Robert..
    I don't know if the brand name matters...

Duo core2 is a must...
    2 gb memory..
    and although your not into games.. I would suggest GeForce or ATI as the graphics..
    the speed on which the screen updates will still rely on this...
    the intergrated intel based graphic machines just don't do it for me..
    I also like external drives.. so thats not an issue to me either..
    Oh..you realize you probably will be using Vista after a new purchase?

And if SS can talk you into it...go MAC... he will be happy..

Edit: I just looked up the reviews on Dell site.. looks like one user agrees..

quote:
    Pros
    Very good design and features. After searching and looking at many different laptops and comparing styles and features, I think this is probably the best deal in price/performance/design. It is very portable, thin and fast. LED screen is a nice addition. Highly recommned.
    Make sure you get 2GB memory with Vista if you get anything else.
    Cons
    So so graphics performance.
    end quote:

He probably got the stock graphics chip..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    I know the Mac's are great. They cost a lot more though...

2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    Ships: 1-2 business days
    Free Shipping
    $1,449.00 Canada Dollars.

That would be a SWEET recording/video station, no viruses, no funky windows problems. Just a SMOOTH user experience... Swooshh..

- "Mr. Malmsteen, take us into Orbit..."
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

I know absolutely nothing about MAC, but I do know I never heard an owner complain and that has to be a major selling point.

Swooshh???
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    2.2GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    1GB memory
    120GB hard drive
    Double-layer SuperDrive
    Ships: 1-2 business days
    Free Shipping
    $1,449.00 Canada Dollars.

That would be a SWEET recording/video station, no viruses, no funky windows problems. Just a SMOOTH user experience... Swooshh..

- "Mr. Malmsteen, take us into Orbit..."
    it's a 13" monitor and no firewire...
    change it to 17 inch with firewire and your at $2000.00

Price has always stopped me when it comes to MACS.. I don't have that kinda money.. sigh.. as for the system..they always seem good..
    You probably don't hear many people complain about them for two reasons..
    1) not as many people use them.. but: http://tonyvirtual.blogspot.com/2007...as-it-too.html
    2)who really cares?

Im kidding...Im kidding!!!!
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; November 3rd, 2007 at 12:48 PM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    it's a 13" monitor and no firewire...
    change it to 17 inch with firewire and your at $2000.00

Price has always stopped me when it comes to MACS.. I don't have that kinda money.. sigh.. as for the system..they always seem good..
    You probably don't hear many people complain about them for two reasons..
    1) not as many people use them.. but: http://tonyvirtual.blogspot.com/2007...as-it-too.html
    2)who really cares?

Im kidding...Im kidding!!!!
    Grrrr *my best Leopard-style roar*

Thats 13 point THREE inches of lovely glossy top-of-the-line display mind you, and:

Slot-loading optical drive
    Built-in AirPort Extreme
    FireWire 400 and two USB 2.0 ports
    Gigabit Ethernet
    Bluetooth 2.0+EDR

I´m sorry Justa.. I just HAD to post this ... friends?

Post Thanks / Like

Well Robert, it looks like you have a lot of info but no defined answer.

Look, I've known you for what must be going on two weeks, have I ever steered you wrong?

Seriously, I would write down everything I want the system to do and then take the time to look at the suggestions, write down or print off comparison sheets and then make your decision. Don't pay extra for bells and whistles you will never use.

Once you've gathered all the info, you know enough about computers that you will make the right decision.:
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

I can't really help because I've never owned a laptop. I know that my next computer purchase will be one though. I'm getting one of the Linux-equipped Dells, the cheapest I can get. Gaming will now take place on a PS3, whenever we get that. I want to get a Dell to support their efforts to offer Linux.

I'd have to read up on some of the sites to see what would be needed for recording, although I've been able to do it with Audacity on my Athlon XP 1800+. Just about anything for sale today would be faster than that.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Robert, I was forced to replace my laptop last February when my old one crashed. It's my primary computer for work so I didn't have much of a choice. I went with a Toshiba, and have no complaints, although I could have saved $500 on the darn thing had I purchased it at an office supply store (where I later saw the price) instead of going to Best Buy. Live and learn.

I will ditto what Strum says. It has Windows Vista and I hate it. If you have to, wipe the hard drive and install XP before using it.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast