Thread: Relief Setting On An Acoustic

Post Thanks / Like

Default Relief Setting On An Acoustic

I dusted off my Seagull S6 acoustic guitar this weekend. Boy did I sound terrible. I guess I am use to playing the electric guitars. All I heard was fret buzz coming off the old dreadnought. I am suspecting that I should increase the relief on the neck. Presently it is sitting at .011. Does anybody know if an acoustic should have a higher amount of relief than the present setting? For some reason I remember reading something that acoustics should be around .013 or higher. I think this setting would make for hard playing guitar.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends on the player better ones like it low , blue grass likes the higher action more volume ??
    HOBBIT

Post Thanks / Like

Playing style (strumming vs. fingerpicking for instance) and string guage will also make a difference. Had the action on my old yamaha lowered and it plays great for cowboy chords, but I still have a heck of a time fretting bar cords past the 3rd fret (you can imagine what it was like before I had it lowered ) Still, I can hammer on 'er pretty hard, or flat pick with a set of medium or medium lights and she sounds awesome - no frett buzz whatsoever.

That said, I have no idea what the relief or action is set at
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Hell, I would set it the way you want it!
    If seeting it higher equals more volume, like monradon mentioned, I don't know if that's true or not either, but if it is, you can gain volume, by coating the insides with wood glue, believe it or not, it works!
    Granted I only seen one person do it, but he's done it on 6 acoustics, one of them was even a fiberglass body with a spruce top (Fender Telecoustic).
    He took the strings off, usually when it was time to change the strings, got a rag full of glue and basically mopped the insides. He usually put 3 coats, waiting each coat to dry.
    I'll tell ya what, It makes a huge difference! He just bought a Fender Starcaster at Wallmart for about a buck 59, did the little glue trick(plus a good set of strings), and it sounds almost like a good ole Ovation. I never looked in to it, but it does work. Don't know how well it would work with a really high end acoustic, but it does kind of makes sense to me knowing how wood breathes and how the glue would seal it, but the mass also plays a part in it too. Hmmm, I'm going to have to look in to it more now! LOL
    Zõ§õ
    The power that music has to connect people to each other has always been one of the guitarists driving forces. - John Frusciante

Axes'
    R-Axe Guitars "Black Betty" - 1st Ultimate DIY
    Ibanez X-Series-DT350 (Star Shape)
    Ibanez AEG10E - Black
    Yamaha RBX200F Fretless w/DiMarzio DP127 Pup

Amps
    Peavey 110 Audition

Pedals/FX
    CryBaby 535Q
    DigiTech CF7 Chorus Factory
    BOSS BD-2