Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Greatest American Band?

Post Thanks / Like

I always am scared to get into these conversations becuase first, I'm 25, so I just wasn't around when some bands had thier hayday and really have no way of stumbling over them unless someone reccommends them to me. Secondly, I'm pretty new to music, and in the last year I'm going back and listening to things I wouldn't have given a second thought about and greatly appreciating them.

With that said, I have to think that Van Halen or Aerosmith has to be the greatest American Rock Band. If the new Guitar Hero Aersosmith doesn't prove it, I don't know what does. Sheesh.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I think it just might be Slim Whitman. I remember a heavily played commercial a few years back in which it is claimed that he sold more records than The Beatles and Elvis combined. Now thems some bold words right there. :
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers
    Bob Dylan
    The Band (they might be from Canada not sure)
    Grateful Dead
    Doobie Brothers
    The Eagles

I would rank these all above Aerosmith and Van Halen, but thats just one man's opinion.

Post Thanks / Like

: Lynyrd Skynyrd
    Love the Blues? bluesrepublic.org

Post Thanks / Like

The Grateful Dead
    The Allman Brothers Band
    The Doobie Brothers

Can you just have one :

I would list The Band - but they are mostly from North of the Border

Gil
    Where ever you go, there you are

a 1973 Léro Model 58 Dreadnought; a 1998 Ovation 1861 Standard Balladeer Natural; Taka - a 2005 Squier '51 Black
    Yume - a 2006 Squier Standard Strat Cherryburst; Houbi - a 2008 Fender VG Strat Blizzard Pearl won via fender.com

Pedals: Home made board; Visual Sound 1 Spot Power; Danelectro Chicken Salad, Fab Chorus, Echo & Flange; DVM Phasers To STUN; EHX LPB-1; Fender PT-100 Tuner
    Amps: Fender Super Champ XD; Vox DA-5 in Camo
    Computer: Apple MacBook Pro, PowerMac G4; Line6 Toneport KB37; M-Audio Black Box Pedal Board, Trigger Finger & DX4 Monitors
    Software: Ableton Live Lite; Apple Garageband; Cockos Reaper; Line6 Gearbox/POD Farm with Model Packs
    GAS: Squier Classic Vibe '50s Tele; Barber Tone Press Pedal; DigiTech Bad Monkey Pedal

Post Thanks / Like

can I disect a little of my reasoning?

I don't care much for Aerosmith beyond their 70's period, but theres no doubt that they would have to be atleast in the top 5.
    for anyone who was a teenager in the mid 70's Aerosmith was undeniably huge.and are still huge to a whole new generation today

I like the doobies alot, all of their output, but I can't picture them as the greatest american band. any more than steely dan. both great bands but nowhere near the impact when compared with the likes of Lynyrd Skynyrd,The Allmons,Eagles.Bob Seager.

ZZtop could have been and the early stuff was definatey influential but the moment they went commercial and incorperated samples and drum machines, and the simple repeditive ,almost robotic structures....any major influence dissolved.

The gratefull Dead can be admired for longevity and vibe, but face it they hit the charts 2 mabey 3 times in 40 years. They were a mainstay no doubt but more of extreeme cult status than "greatest band"to the masses pinnacle.

Tom Petty is a quandry to me,He has been around a long time,had many hits and has had alot of sucess backing and dueting with others. But you don't hear alot of people say" the day I heard Tom Petty, I knew I wanted to be a musician" (I do know of people influenced by his guitarist).

Tom is a great songwriter.He takes pieces from every style of music and makes it popular to a wide selection of demographic. but nothing he ever did strikes me as new,fresh or groundbreaking...but he's done enough to deserve atleast the top 10.

If this were a regional question the south would have Skynyrd in the top 3 ....atleast.

ok fire away....lol

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Andy
    can I disect a little of my reasoning?
    I don't care much for Aerosmith beyond their 70's period, but theres no doubt that they would have to be atleast in the top 5.
    for anyone who was a teenager in the mid 70's Aerosmith was undeniably huge.and are still huge to a whole new generation today
    The one thing about Aerosmith that qualifies them, IMHO, is that by the mid-80s they were over. They crashed and burned. But they actually made a comeback in the 90s and became better than ever.

For most bands, when it's over, it's over. There is no comeback.

Just my $.02

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345