Thread: moving musical night, Garth Hudson

Post Thanks / Like

Default moving musical night, Garth Hudson

My wife and I attended our local musical awards night at our city's theatre. It was a very moving evening, featuring some of the best of Canadian talent, including Lori Yates (country, alt country), Harrison Kennedy, (blues), a great hard rocking band called High Voltage (listen for them) and others.
    Highlights that might resonate with some: Punk pioneers Teenage Head performed, and still have the nasty. And the marquis was Blackie and the Rodeo Kings doing a tribute to The Band. You probably know several of The Band's members are from this area of Canada, and sadly two met an untimely end (Richard Manuel and Rick Danko). But a survivor was on hand in Garth Hudson and he brought his mystical keyboards and piano to Hamilton for a tribute that consisted of The Weight, The Shape I'm In and I Shall Be Released. Garth's wife Maude sang soulful lead vocals while Rodeo Kings Tom Wilson, Stephen Fearing and Colin Linden provided amazing coverage with a host of other talented regional musicians pitching in.
    A really magic moment came during the Dylan classic I Shall Be Released, when it sounded a lot like Stephen Fearing was channeling Rick Danko in one verse. Goosebump city.
    Garth Hudson is a spry 70-year-old and can still play like that unique talent that was a major part of The Band's sound. Hearing him roll off The Weight, The Shape I'm In and in particular, the Dylan classic, was spooky. He was there for Big Pink. He lived it
    All in all, a wonderful night, much of it dedicated to Richard Newell, aka, King Biscuit Boy, who some experts say was among the greatest blues harp players of all time, also a Hamilton guy.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a memorable experience. They sure make life great.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

man, I wish I could have been there, I love the band!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a great show. The Band is one of my all-time fav bands, and I have a huge amount of respect for Garth Hudson. Wish I could see him play sometime.:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer