Thread: Tried some nice guitar amps yesterday

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Tried some nice guitar amps yesterday

Marshall 1974x - sounds insanely good - just like my 18 watt Heatseeker! The cabinet in the 1974x is great and so is the tremolo - very sweet. The amp is top notch, but mine sounds almost the same but costs a lot less...:

Marshall Vintage Modern 50w combo - this amp does both vintage tones as well as modern tones. I really liked this amp. It's a one channel amp but it has a sort-of boost function, which I think kicks in an extra tube. The results is "ooomph-to-the-bone!" This amp is killer. Check it out guys.

Orange Tiny Terror - nice, but I played it through an Orange 1x12 and it sounded very boxy and "tiny" (excuse the pun). I bet it would sound big through a 4x12. It had a nice tone, but you had to pretty much max out the amp volume wise to get those happening tones. On the other hand, it didn't seem very loud, so it's not gonna blow your ear drums. This amp is 7/15 watts (switchable) but even at 15 watts, it's way quieter than my Heatseeker. It didn't impress me at all on the 7 watt setting (no "terror" happening... ).

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe - great little amp with lots of volume and great clean tones. Great grab and go amp. Personally, I'd pick a good Marshall though (like those mentioned above), just because I'm a bit tired of the Fender sound.

There you go; my little mini-review from my guitar store hogging trip! ude:
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

You need that 100 watt Marshall amp more than ever Rob.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I was expecting the Orange to be the best in the bunch....damn that sucks. That 1974X is a great little amp....the aged greenbacks make that combo sing.

I agree, the Orange amps that I have played their cabs have sounded bland and deff. not alive IMHO.

Man....you make that heatseeker sound awesome. How does it compare to marshal/brit rock'n'roll sound?.....I might want to get one.
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

The Heatseeker sounds like an old-school Plexi. Not that much crunch with single coils, just a big fat tone. Definitely not like JCM-800. No, it sounds very much like the Blues Breaker or 1974x. With humbuckers, it will roar.

Now THIS is what we boys all need .... -> Marshall 1959SLP
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Nice collection of amps! :

The 1974x as well as the head version are perhaps the best Marshalls in production, at least for my taste. You can sit down with just a guitar and a damn cable, and discover that you are too busy savoring the TONE, to notice that 2 hours have passed.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, abraxas, that's why I love my Heatseeker... cause it sounds just as good as the 1974x, only less expensive and no tremolo.