Thread: Frank Gambale

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Frank Gambale

I just received my Guitar Player magazine and they noted this guy as the undisputed champ of sweeping. This guy is so fluid it is amazing.

Rather than post on or two videos, here is a link to one and you can bounce around at viewing some others.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=kwnPpU1VDrg&feature=related
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, good ol' Frank! I used to try hard to get into that style when I first heard him 15 years ago. I was never any good at it and I soon tired of him. I bought some of his solo albums, which I thought were abominable as far as composing goes. He sure can do a "clean sweep" though!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I did a Gambale string skipping lesson and thought it was cool, but I'm with Robert his material just gets pretty blah to me after a while. Great guitarist for sure though.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, I thought it was pretty cool guys. He makes it look so effortless.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I know nothing about his composing ability, I was just taken by his fluid, effortless motion.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Gambale is a phenomenal player technically speaking. Is is strange but I like him the most on other people's works (e.g. Chick Corea) or collaborative projects.
    Gearlist:
    Guitars
    - Kramer Pacer Deluxe (’87) with SD pickups
    - EBMM 25th Anniversary hardtail
    - EBMM Axis Super Sport hardtail
    - Squier CV Tele (Reliced!)
    - "Relic Wallpaper Squier ’51 (heavily modded)
    - Custom made Precision type bass with EMG pickup and custom paintjob

Amps
    - THD Univalve
    - Tech21 Trademark 10
    - 2x12” Tube Town "flexi-back" cabinet, with Celestion Speakers

Effects, etc
    Peterson Strobostomp, Budda Bud-wah, BYOC Script Phaser, Proco RAT (original), Boss HM-2 (modded), EHX Deluxe Memory Man, Line6 M13 Stompbox Modeller, Axon AX-100 MkII, Digitech GSP1101/Control2

Visit my page on myspace:
    http://www.myspace.com/thegenusloci

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Same here abraxas, he is a great player and I like him with others too. His own composing seems to really suck though. He played less "sweepy" than normal in this video clip - I thought it was a good video lesson.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember this dude.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Default Frank

My teacher back in the 80's had been one of Frank's students at GIT. My teacher (Jim McCarthy), could sweep amazingly well, and I love the way it looks when someone who can really do it is sweeping. It's like the right hand is hardly moving.

Later, around 1991 I saw Frank play a small club with Chick Corea's Electrik Band. One of the best shows I ever saw.

I can't play like the "Thunder from Down Under", but he is a great player, teacher and musician.

Post Thanks / Like

I remember him most from his work with Chick, which I thought was great.
    Watching clips like this motivate me to really keep working on different ways to phrase things. Same with Robben Ford, I dig his phrasing.

Post Thanks / Like

I never heard of him until I got the magazine yesterday. Prior to Robert's initial post, I thought Frank was a session guy, a good session guy.

Another "learn something new everyday" moment.
    Mark