Thread: Ebony tailpiece

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ebony tailpiece

Hello folks,,

I am considering changing out the stock metallic tailpiece on my Wash J6.

I have an ebony fretboard and headstock with ebony buttons. Ebony colored pick guard. Thought that one of those ebony tailpieces would look pretty good.

Went to Stewmac to look at the Bennedetto item. $100.00 seems a little high for a cosmetic change. Found an almost identical piece on Ebay for $9.00.

Has anyone here had any experience with this kind of upgrade?

Looks like, by losing the stock piece, I will have two visible screw holes on the back of the guitar, near the end pin.

Any help???

Steve

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Steve, do you have a pic of the tailpiece you are considering?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

No Strum. Stewmac has one in their online catalog.

The others I found by searching for tailpieces on the old e bay.

Stew mac did send me an email with a diagram and a tip or two.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

For $9, I would get the used one from ebay right away.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Steve, I'm going to throw in with Adrian here. For nine bucks you can't go wrong. If you don't like it, or it doesn't work out, you're out the cost of a set or two of strings.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, 100$ for something you can get for nine, kinda expensive.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

I suspect that there's a signficant difference between the two. I assume the ebay ones are from Bruce Wei and/or Inlaid Artist and from what I've heard their work, while beautiful, can usually use some final touches. I'd risk the nine bucks and plan to do some fit and finish work.
    Dreadman
    My Guitars

I didn't hear ya, there was something bluesy in my ear

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Dread,,

I heard from a guy who changed out a tailpiece on a J9 and said that he lost a lot of tone and sustain in his guitar.

Not knowing much of the physics involved, I just assumed that the tailpiece was an anchor point and that the tone and sustain occured between the nut and the saddle.

He also said that by painting the original tailpiece black could cause some sonic changes?

Just want as much info as I can gather, before I start taking things apart.

And yeah, the $9.00 piece comes from some kind of inlay artist from Taiwan. I think that I have to do some measuring first, as to string spread.

although the stewmac item is just what you see. Buy it or don't.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Steve206
    He also said that by painting the original tailpiece black could cause some sonic changes?
    Steve, with no intentions of playing an expert here, I think the thickness of the layer, and the actual material/base of the paint (poly, nitro, epoxy, acrylic, or something else) have a greater chance to affect the tone than the actual pigment/color. If the tailpiece is unfinished, you can always go with Tung oil, or other alternatives that will give you a very thin and transparent finish. Ebony is a beatiful wood. Anyway, there are quite a few knowledgeable fretters that can elaborate in this topic deeper than I can.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.