Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: This song is a departure for me

Post Thanks / Like

Default This song is a departure for me

The folks who have known me awhile, like Pappy and Strum, know that I'm basically a hack. When I picked up the guitar, all I wanted to do was to be able to play a few songs, and connect with my daughter. Then CB got it involved at it became a family thing.

But 95% of my songs are just strumming. And when I talk about working on a song I'm usually working on new chords.

My son played this song for me, and I started listening to it, and it didn't sound all that freakin' hard. It's a pretty basic picking pattern all the way through the song. I just have to get used to playing a little higher on the fretboard, and learn to play smoothly.

Found tabs today, and started working on. I think I can get this one, I'm real slow right now, but I know the speed will come later.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWapziQ2mAk
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Getting a message that the video is no longer available. Post the complete address and we can just go to youtube.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about that Strum, should be fixed now.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

It says it's not available in my country.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Dang Robert, I'm having no luck tonight. So much for the dramatic suspense.

The song is "Never too Late", Three Days Grace.

Post Thanks / Like

The link worked for me Shiner

The song sounds awesome : I'm sure you could do it

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Let's try embedding it...

Nope, don't worky for me.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GG!

Post Thanks / Like

Shiner's linky worked for me...Robert's embed showed a frame, but when I push play, no worky...

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, try this one and see if you have any better luck.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBwCFiDCtpI

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd be seeing and hearing Shiner! Ripoff!
    That's the modern stuff kids these days listen to, eh? Call me old fashioned. That intro is a little tricky with the timing I suspect, but it sounds nice.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I like it Shiner! Go at it bud, you can do it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Steve.

Robert, I think you're absolutely right about the timing. The problem is going to be when I start trying to sing it (and no, I won't make y'all suffer through that). I won't be doing that for awhile. I think I need to get it down pat, until it's second nature, and then I'll start trying to sing. But if I try to do both at once right now, it won't be pretty.

Post Thanks / Like

I dig that song... Go for it Shiner!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Curious, what is it a departure from? Don't say KC.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Nah, he was working on a Shatner/Nimoy medley/retrospective...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Nah, he was working on a Shatner/Nimoy medley/retrospective...
    I'm still working on that one Kat, only I'm making it an acoustic tribute to a spoken version of a vocal interpretation of . . . oh, never mind.

Post Thanks / Like

Spent most of the weekend working on the song and it's coming along pretty well. I still need to work on keeping it fluid, if that makes sense, but I'm getting there.

So last night I thought I'd try singing it while playing, and sure enough Robert's observation about the timing hit me like a frying pan in the face. Do you remember when you were a kid, and you would try to pat your head and rub your tummy at the same time? I'll keep working at it though. I'll get this sucker down eventually.

Post Thanks / Like

Shiner, Good on ya for trying new things. Singing along with a complicated piece is a big challenge. At least for me. I usually try and break it down into manageable parts. Get a verse down, or even just a line or two. Then expand. I use the break it down system a lot when learning guitar/harmonica parts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast