Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
John Norum's Gear

Thread: John Norum's Gear

Post Thanks / Like

Default John Norum's Gear

One of my favorite things from Europe's latest 2DVD release is the 2nd DVD which contains a segment on band equipment. On it, all of the members, sans JT, show and talk about their on-stage equipment. John Norum is profiled first on this segment. Here is his equipment for the Start From the Dark Tour:

Guitars:

-1978 Les Paul. Maple Neck w/Seymour Duncan Pickups. This is his main backup guitar.
    -1957 Custom Shop. All Mahagony w/EMG Active Pickups. This is his main guitar.
    -1974 Les Paul. 3 piece Mahagony neck. Uses this guitar for about 7 songs in the set that require D-drop tuning.
    -1980 Les Paul. This guitar is only used for two songs. It's super-light (2Kg). Tuning is real low. E string to B, A string to F.

Amps:

-2 Marshall JCM 800 50 watts. The only modification is changing of tubes to KT-88's instead of EL-34's.
    -2 Marshall Cabinets w/vintage 30 speakers run thru a stereo chorus.
    -Shure 57 mikes.

Effects:

-onstage chord tuner
    -SD Roland 3000 Digital Delay
    -SD Roland 2000 Digital Delay (used as backup)
    -boost on/off pedal
    -chorus ensemble
    -delay on/off switch
    -Jim Dunlop Cry-Baby Pedal

Well, that's it for his gear. Feel free to give you input if you've used any of the above stuff.
    Only a Gibson is Good Enough!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey, cool to see John doesn't use so many gadgets and thangs! I bet he uses older Marshalls from the 70s though?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

On the new DVD, John didn't indicate whether the Marshalls were vintage or not. Either way, they sound absolutely GREAT!!

Of course, don't mention John Norum or Europe to Nelskie. He absolutely cannot stand them!

Oh well, I guess I better get back into Yngwie like he suggested.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey L & C! I don't believe I said anything about not liking John Norum's guitar playing, or Europe in general. While all are fine musicians, and their recent album shows a noticeable re-tooling of their sound, they're still . . . well . . . Europe. As well, John Norum's playing style and sound do not hold my interest as a Jimmy Page, Billy Gibbons, or Eric Clapton would. Quite simply, it's what I prefer.

Also - I don't remember suggesting that you listen to more Yngwie. I merely pointed out what I felt to be a rather limited evaluation of his talent on your part. Subjectively speaking, Yngwie is a grammy-nominated guitarist, and in my personal opinion, a player of the highest caliber.

Ultimately, you have the choice to carry your banner for whatever band, guitarst, or artist you like, and if it's for Europe, or whoever, so be it. Really, don't take it so personally.
    Last edited by Nelskie; March 27th, 2006 at 04:39 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I can't believe there is even a discussion going on about Swedish guitarists. It warms my heart so much to know that other people are finally waking up to just how talented those Swedes are.

Man oh Man - John Norum, Roine Stolt, Yingwie, JJ Marsh, Krister Jonsson, who else is there?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, the friendly forum boss, and THE SuperSwede, to name two more!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget Kee Marcello!

Post Thanks / Like

Kee Marcello comes from the same town as me ....
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, speaking of Umeå/Norrland.. do you have a good recipe for Palt?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Sure I do! Palt rules!

Post Thanks / Like

........ok I'll fall for it...what's Palt?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Palt is the best food there is! There is of course an official entry in the Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palt

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like something you give your cat so they cough up hairballs.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Palt is the best food there is! There is of course an official entry in the Wikipedia - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palt
    Gee, I thought lutefisk was the best food there is!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Sure I do! Palt rules!
    OK cough up!

...er, I mean the recipe not the hairballs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    Gee, I thought lutefisk was the best food there is!
    I married someone who is partially Norwegian. Lutefisk should have been banned by the Geneva Convention. Leave it to them to make a bland food even more bland. "Hey, Ole! I've got an idea! Why don't we make our cod translucent, ya der hey?"
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Robert, the best thing with Palt© is the "paltkoma" that happens after you consumed too much.
    I havent made it myself yet, so I would really love to have your favourite recipe.

Marnold, actually its not Cod. Lutfisk (or lutefisk in norwegian) is made of Långa ( I dont know the english name for that fish). Its really good
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Still waiting for that fine Palt recipe Robert!