Thread: What do you think leave the finish or take it back to natural

Post Thanks / Like

Default What do you think leave the finish or take it back to natural

Hi I got a new cheap bass at the right $ do you think I should leave it or got to a natural finish like my Jazz bass ? any comments

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/IMG_0010.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by robert43
    Hi I got a new cheap bass at the right $ do you think I should leave it or got to a natural finish like my Jazz bass ? any comments

http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/IMG_0010.jpg

If that finish is as nice as it looks in the photo, I'd leave it alone.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

The finish looks pretty good now. Before you do anything, you might want to pull the electronics cover off the back and see if the bass is solid wood or plywood. If it's plywood, it's not going to look too hot in a natural finish.

Good luck with it.

Post Thanks / Like

Very good point bigoldron! For sure the maple on top is veneer if its a low budget guitar as you stated.I am not sure how that would turn out if sanding.You could do it by hand gently. Id leave it looks decent!

I did google the name but the only one that showed up is solid ash!! Only $199..Interested to know what yours is made of!:

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all its soild ash not plywood ( 1 of the main reasons for buying it )
    Does any 1 notice it looks like a SX bass
    any comments on that & yes for the moment I am going to leave the finish with maybe a black or tort pickgaurd

Post Thanks / Like

Hello robert43,

That is great if it is solid ash. I would just change the pickguard. Tort sounds good to me

M29

Post Thanks / Like

yes, I think you should leave it, the quilt maple is probably a veneer and would sand off easily, although if you were to do it, a nice blue dye would go niceley.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all it turns out to be a photo quilt ( which I can remove ) for the time it will stay the same but after Christmas I might paint it red

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bro if ya sand the top to ash use a red stain to show the ash grain.Ash looks great with a trans finish.........Im having a new carvin done in all swamp ash with a trans finish

Post Thanks / Like

Opps I meant to say I cant remove pitty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Hey bro if ya sand the top to ash use a red stain to show the ash grain.Ash looks great with a trans finish.........Im having a new carvin done in all swamp ash with a trans finish
    +1
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok what do you people think of this ( I know its only card board but to give me a idea before I buy)
    http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...t/IMG_0014.jpg

Post Thanks / Like

Looks good robert43. That is a great way to do things by mocking up with cardboard, I do it all the time. I still think tort would look best my self. I do like black better than the white though.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Looks good robert43. That is a great way to do things by mocking up with cardboard, I do it all the time. I still think tort would look best my self. I do like black better than the white though.

M29
    I agree with M29.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi all I am going to order a Tort & balck pickgaurd .after Christmas then try them. Maybe I will spend 6 months black 6 months tort

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yeah there ya go! He's GASin he's GASin....

M29

Post Thanks / Like

As much as I love modding, there are just some things that are best to leave alone. That finish looks good enough where I wouldn't mess with it.

The pickguard, the electronics, the pickups....now that's a different story...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by M29
    Hello robert43,

That is great if it is solid ash. I would just change the pickguard. Tort sounds good to me

M29
    Concur!!! Could check out a pearl type guard too. I'd leave the finish though. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson