Thread: 12 bar blues lesson

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 bar blues lesson

I made a blues video lesson and I put it on Google Video to save myself bandwidth. Check it out and let me know what you think. It is quite basic stuff I think.

12 bar basic blues
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Basic yes, but damn useful. thanks!

regards

Matt
    Guitars: Squier '51, Fender Classic Player's 60s Strat, Epiphone Dot, Ibanez SA260FM (Bareknuckle Nailbomb/Trilogy Suite p'ups)

Pedals: Fender Pt100, Tech21 Double Drive, BYOC Mighty Mouse, EHX Stereo Pulsar, Boss DD-20

Amp: Blackstar HT-20 Studio, Fender Blues Jr

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Matt!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

That begining on the E , A.. Second and fourth frets was probably the first thing I ever learned on a guitar Robert... Then dropping to the A, D strings of the same and back and forth as long as you want till running into B7, A7 chord turn around and back to the shuffle.. probably back in 5th-6th grade for a short year of trying guitar with friends and then leaving it behind.. when I got back into it these past couple of years I found 12 bar slow and easy and a great basis for my slowww and easy playing... You now added a familar beat with a stretching exercise for me.. hard to keep that pinky stretched down there on the F#, G# for my cramped lil' hands hah... thanks for the video.. it's a pleasant and simple way for us to play.
    Last edited by Justaguyin_nc; March 10th, 2006 at 02:28 AM.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

robert,

in my opinion any lesson is a good lesson. Thanks for all the time and effort you put into helping make us better players. I really do want to meet you (and other fretters) someday and shake your hand.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Great job, Robert, I learned something new today! The blues is a simple art form, but it is in no way easy... Thanks for the lesson!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Katastrophe
    Great job, Robert, I learned something new today! The blues is a simple art form, but it is in no way easy... Thanks for the lesson!
    Cool vid there Rob! You done good!!!

You are quite right Katastrophe. What I learned (yeah right!) from just spending a few minutes keeping a backbeat for Honeyboy has helped me immensely! That is a man who has spent almost his whole life perfecting that simple art form! He's currently almost 91. The blues isn't just a simple art form though, it's a way of life.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks alot Robert!

More...more...please!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    That begining on the E , A.. Second and fourth frets was probably the first thing I ever learned on a guitar Robert... Then dropping to the A, D strings of the same and back and forth as long as you want till running into B7, A7 chord turn around and back to the shuffle.. probably back in 5th-6th grade for a short year of trying guitar with friends and then leaving it behind.. when I got back into it these past couple of years I found 12 bar slow and easy and a great basis for my slowww and easy playing... You now added a familar beat with a stretching exercise for me.. hard to keep that pinky stretched down there on the F#, G# for my cramped lil' hands hah... thanks for the video.. it's a pleasant and simple way for us to play.
    Last night when I was playing, I was having trouble indepently stretching out my third finger from my middle finger. I could easily move it down (say for an open G chord) but not sideways.

I realized that this was reflected in the fact that I couldn't do a convincing "Live long and prosper" a la Spock. I decided that I would practice this whenever I didn't have access to a guitar.

It's working. Does it help to play the guitar? I don't know yet, but if it doesn't I can always quit the guitar & become a trekkie.

I am sure there is a trekkie forum somewhere that would take me in.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob - Wasn't Honeyboy featured on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD?
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Tot
    Be careful which trekkie forum you get into. One is for Trek bicycles and I don't think they understand much beyond granola and sweating. The finger thing is way outside their understanding.
    Live long and prosper. "V"

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Robert,

Nice job on that lesson. (I've been away from the site for a while busy with work stuff so I'm catching up reading some of the newer posts).

This is the kind of thing that makes a great lesson for people just getting into the blues and rock playing. Good job in going through that and making it clear. When I go through this kind of lesson with some of my students they have a hard time learning how to mute with the right hand properly, and you did a good job showing the different sounds you get.

-- Jim

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tone2thebone
    Rob - Wasn't Honeyboy featured on the Crossroads Guitar Festival DVD?
    Yes, he certainly was. He, along with friends Homesick James and Robert Jr. Lockwood, were the featured act at the Chicago Blues Festival a couple years ago. Livin' in the Windy City is great!
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass