Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Is it worth it?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it worth it?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Is it worth it?

Just my experience, but I thought maybe this would be helpful, and maybe others have some experiences to share as well...

I've been playing guitar now for a long time and have gone through a TON of gear over the years. I think back to all the gear I've owned, only later to trade it or sell it for something else, which again, I would later sell or trade....

Bottom line: I finally spent a little more on some gear as I'm tired of buying "average quality" guitars and amps, only to trade them later or sell them on ebay because they just didn't deliver in terms of tone or quality. Plus, I've bought "okay" guitars and amps, and after sinking additional money into pickups, better bridges/tremelos, speakers, etc., I might as well have spent the extra money up front.

I'm not equating price with quality, as there are some good, quality guitars out there for reasonable prices (e.g., Highway One strat, Jimmie Vaughan strat, etc.).

But, for the first time in a long time, I'm totally SATISFIED with my gear (who would have thought it?).

My opinion: It's worth it to spend a little more and get some quality gear. It will save you in the long run, and I believe you'll be more satisfied. Plus, the resale value is alot better if you do decide to sell or trade.

Anyone else go through the "buying for the sake of buying/saving" only to be disappointed in the end?? Has anyone else found that waiting a little bit and getting some better gear paid off?

It's been a good experience to finally have the tone I want in my gear.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

It's worth it if it keeps you motivated.
    I've never spent big money (+$1,000) on a guitar or amp, never made a habit of buying $99 ones either (Squier '51's the exception, and a good little axe). I usually think ahead as to what I might want to add versus impulse buying because "Hey, what a bargain!!" comes along. Buying equipment you really want, and will use, is the key to staying motivated and enjoying playing.

That being said, if somebody is really gassing for a boutique amp and $3000 custom shop axe, and have the funds, I applaud them, go for it!
    If, on the other hand, a Valvetronix and SX will keep someone excited about playing, great.

Most of my gear is good quality, which brings me to another point you made.
    As far as my own personal tone, I've found when I start feeling "this should sound better", and thinking I need to buy something different...... it's usually about the same time I've hit a plateau in my playing and need to practice more and learn something new. That's just my personal experience, I'm not suggesting that about anyone else. But I did find it interesting that I'd buy a new piece of equipment, start practicing like crazy, thinking it had improved my sound, and then.....
    go back to the setup I'd used 6 months ago and think "Hey, this didn't sound bad, what was I thinking?"
    So ya, if it keeps you motivated, go for it. Quality gear, whatever the $$$ amount, is always worth it, IMO. But I really buy new gear (usually), just 'cause I got the G.A.S.
    Now let me ask you this......
    How do rate that Agile you have, because I'm thinking I need a Paul style guitar, and from the features they seem to be a better value than Epiphone.
    Some of the Epiphone's are nice, but no ebony fretboards or abalone inlays.
    Are the Agile's PU's, switches, hardware good, fair, poor...? If I wait to get a "real" one, I'll be saving quite a while, which kind of goes back to your original question.
    If you were doing it over again, would you buy, say, a $500 Agile, or wait and get a $2500 Gibson?
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess it comes down to what is quality equipment? IMO the gear should not hinder your ability to learn or diminish your desire to learn. A guitar that isn't set up properly or is impossible to be set up properly obviously isn't worth keeping or purchasing in the first place.

My price range on guitars for the most part in the $300 to $500 range. I've purchased new and used and I feel for the most part all was decent equipment except for the Squire Bullet, but fortunately it did not diminish my desire to learn to play. I also was fortunate to get two free guitars - my Epi SG (G400) and my Epi Dot. The first was brand new and the second could be considered brand new.

I don't think there is a day that doesn't go by where I don't GAS for a new guitar, but I'm satisfied with what I have. I really don't have a guitar that I am considering selling or trading, so I guess that is a sign of content.

If it doesn't diminish your desire and it doesn't hinder your learning ability, then I think you have assembled a good selection of equipment. I have often compared guitars to my past golfing addiction. I have about 4 or 5 drivers and probably went through 3 or 4 sets of clubs (both high end and low end) and none of them ever made me a better golfer, however they did make me enjoy the game a little longer. Boy, if I had all that golf money back I could buy a really nice... (drifts off into a dreamy state of mind).

Hey oldguy, if you are looking for a LP, I have mentioned before that it is worth your time to check out the Ibanez ARC300 or ARC100. I feel they play better than the EPI and although I never tried the Agile, my money would be on you liking the Ibanez better. From all the research I did and all the reviews I read before I bought mine, it is one of the better deals out there.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as my own personal tone, I've found when I start feeling "this should sound better", and thinking I need to buy something different...... it's usually about the same time I've hit a plateau in my playing and need to practice more and learn something new. That's just my personal experience, I'm not suggesting that about anyone else. But I did find it interesting that I'd buy a new piece of equipment, start practicing like crazy, thinking it had improved my sound, and then.....
    This is a GREAT point too...it seems that as we progress too, we become more satisfied with our tone and there's not a need to constantly look for that "magic fix".

How do rate that Agile you have, because I'm thinking I need a Paul style guitar, and from the features they seem to be a better value than Epiphone.
    Some of the Epiphone's are nice, but no ebony fretboards or abalone inlays.
    Are the Agile's PU's, switches, hardware good, fair, poor...? If I wait to get a "real" one, I'll be saving quite a while, which kind of goes back to your original question.
    I'll tell you what...I kept hearing about how great the Agile guitars were, and I kept wondering if it was all hype or if they were really that good. Well, they REALLY are that good.

I had previously owned a LP Studio some years back (mid 90's?). The Agile AL-3000's are just as good believe it or not. The hardware on the AL-3000's are nickel-plated, the pots are as good, as are the switches, and the fretwork and finishes are flawless. That's why I bought a second one. Some people do swap out the pickups (the stock pups are alnico on the 3000's), but personally, I find them to be just as good as on the LP Studio I owned.

For $369, you can't beat it. If it were made in the US, this guitar would go easily for $700 or more and be well worth it. Both AL-3000s I own are flawless. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Gibson, but I think it's more "brand name" attraction than anything. The Agiles are a definite notch above the Epi's I've played, and close if not equal to some Gibsons, in my opinion.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808

I'll tell you what...I kept hearing about how great the Agile guitars were, and I kept wondering if it was all hype or if they were really that good. Well, they REALLY are that good.

I had previously owned a LP Studio some years back (mid 90's?). The Agile AL-3000's are just as good believe it or not. The hardware on the AL-3000's are nickel-plated, the pots are as good, as are the switches, and the fretwork and finishes are flawless. That's why I bought a second one. Some people do swap out the pickups (the stock pups are alnico on the 3000's), but personally, I find them to be just as good as on the LP Studio I owned.

For $369, you can't beat it. If it were made in the US, this guitar would go easily for $700 or more and be well worth it. Both AL-3000s I own are flawless. I have been tossing around the idea of getting a Gibson, but I think it's more "brand name" attraction than anything. The Agiles are a definite notch above the Epi's I've played, and close if not equal to some Gibsons, in my opinion.
    Thanks, that's what I was expecting, almost everyone on the Fret has said nearly the same thing.:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Cool thread idea. I am of a mind that the gear is only ever worth what it is worth to you. It can all make a sound. It is up to you to whether or not it is making your sound.

I've been through a lot of guitars & amps in the last 20 years. Some of it very much on the "this is all I can afford" side of things. The stuff I have now looks expensive on paper, but the circumstances behind each are proof that even I can get lucky.

I waited 20 years to get a PRS. from 2003 to 2005 I obsessed about it. I sold just about every guitar I owned (kept the G&L ASAT and my Hamer) at the time I received my annual bonus from work in March 2005. I drove to the store with a little over 3 grand. I had been playing PRSi for months. I thought I knew what I wanted.

A new arrival caught my eye when I walked in I played it. I smiled I hung it back on the wall. I played the "contenders" I had been eyeing. Price was not an object just this one time. Between each of the contenders, I picked up the new arrival. I got halfway to the counter with a Custom 24 model: sunburst 10-top, bird inlays, gold hardware...a PRS to top all PRSi.

The owner asked "you all set, R.B.?" I paused. I said "no".

I grabbed the new arrival. Turns out it was the least expensive US-made PRS there: a McCarty Standard. All mahogany (no maple top), vintage natural finish (clear-coat/not color), no whammy bar, no locking tuners.

Beyond the fact that I had finally "bought a PRS", I found the guitar that felt & sounded like that big fat vintage humbucker tone I heard on all te old records my step-dad used to let me borrow when I was a kid. I played it yesterday. I had the same feeling for it that I did nearly 3 years ago.

Now, the PRS example is a bit much, but as it relates to the topic: is the sound there? is the feel there? Then it's a great instrument. It's a great instrument for you.

A lower price? That's the icing on the cake.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi TS808.

Yes, I agree with you on this one. Sometimes it's hard to justify spending the extra $ on good gear but often times I regret buying the cheaper stuff because I'm always messing with it to get a decent sound later (changing out pickups, replacing hardware, etc)

The other thing that I've learned over the years is to buy gear for the tone more than the features. I once bought a multi-effects unit with a ton of sounds and features but later hated it because none of them had a decent tone that I could use. In the end it's better to have a few pieces of gear that have useful tones more rather than a ton of features.

-- Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, I agree with you on this one. Sometimes it's hard to justify spending the extra $ on good gear but often times I regret buying the cheaper stuff because I'm always messing with it to get a decent sound later (changing out pickups, replacing hardware, etc)
    That had pretty much happened to me too. The best example I could think of was buying a MIM Standard strat, which is actually a pretty decent guitar. But I didn't like the stock pickups so I remember throwing in a set of Texas Specials for another $125.00, then later some graph tech saddles because the originals saddle screws were starting to strip (another $35). By the time I was done I had $349 + 125 + 35 = $509. Then if you really get into buying the heavier Callaham block for the tremelo, you're now in the territory of a Jimmie Vaughan strat.....no need for a pickup change, and also has the American vintage tremelo. And of course, I later traded the MIM strat for something a little better.

I just think of all the money spent in "upgrades" over the years chasing after that "tone".

Post Thanks / Like

In my own opinion, it's worth it if you can afford it all at once, I mean, when I was looking for my bass, after a while I knew I wanted a fender jazz style bass, I could have got a squier new, save a bit on a jay turser used, or spend the exact same on a used fender, sure enough I got the fender used because I could only shell out $300 tops, and I couldn't afford a new fender, If I got one of the others I may have modded it.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Another thing you have to keep in mind is what do you consider a quality guitar. I have a friend that has owned a few Fender strats and tele and his thoughts on Fender is they are all crap. He wouldn't take one for free. He also owns an older ES335 Dot and a Rickenbacker 360/12. His finances allow him to spend more money and those two guitars are very nice, but I wouldn't consider buying them. He also probably looks at my guitars as junk and would consider the same of yours. To him the money we spend on our guitars is like throwing money away.

I think you have to keep what you purchase in line with your ability. I don't think owning his ES335 would make me any better of a guitarist than my Epi Dot, nor do I think it would heighten my enthusiasm for playing.

Now I will admit that I have a major case of GAS right now for that orange Gretsch 5120. It won't make me play any better, but boy would I look cool
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

My first rule is if it don't play well stock, I don't buy it. Or if I have to buy without being able to play first (happens less and less), I don't keep it. I don't sink all kinds of money into "upgrading" guitars.

That said, I've bought guitars for a Benjamin that I have no prob gigging dead stock, despite that I also own fairly nice USA guitars from a number of different makers (Fender, Gibson, Ric, Hamer, Ovation, Peavey). I don't buy just to buy. I have a couple other requirements in addition to being giggable stock; one, it must be a good deal at it's respective price point (I won't buy a guitar for $150 even though that's not much, if it's really only a good deal at $100), and two, it should add something sonically to the collection in terms of construction, pickups, or other features. So, for example, although I have 3 Teles, each has a different pickup configuration and wiring scheme.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    My first rule is if it don't play well stock, I don't buy it. Or if I have to buy without being able to play first (happens less and less), I don't keep it. I don't sink all kinds of money into "upgrading" guitars.

That said, I've bought guitars for a Benjamin that I have no prob gigging dead stock, despite that I also own fairly nice USA guitars from a number of different makers (Fender, Gibson, Ric, Hamer, Ovation, Peavey). I don't buy just to buy. I have a couple other requirements in addition to being giggable stock; one, it must be a good deal at it's respective price point (I won't buy a guitar for $150 even though that's not much, if it's really only a good deal at $100), and two, it should add something sonically to the collection in terms of construction, pickups, or other features. So, for example, although I have 3 Teles, each has a different pickup configuration and wiring scheme.
    Ya, what he said. Same goes for me.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Right now my Godin Radiotor ($150 on eBaY), Godin SD ($170 eBaY) and my Fender Champion 600 (I've changed the tubes to a NOS RCA triple mica blackplate 5751 & a JAN RCA blackplate 6V6) still gets my blood flowing.

...I'm dreaming about a new ax & I'll probably combine xmas & bday gifts to get something sweet. The amp brings me to my knees right now.

I've got some really nice cables & have absolutely no interest in buying pedals, effects, cheap gitfiddles, or other things. I want to wait until the guitar that rings my bells (& I can afford) comes along. So I agree with TS808.

I have no interest in GAS for GAS sake...for me it's play what I've got & wait until I know what'll really do it for me & then buy *that* when I can.

Next year I'll probably be thinking about a cab, or an upgraded 5 watt 6V6
    (eg SWART).
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

Next year I'll probably be thinking about a cab, or an upgraded 5 watt 6V6
    (eg SWART).
    SWART?

'splain, por favor.

Post Thanks / Like

SWART?

'splain, por favor.
    Certainly:

This one is the least expensive

http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_...tone_6v6se.htm

but this one has got me drooling:

http://www.swartamps.com/swart_space_tone_reverb.htm

Read the ToneQuest report (I haven't read this yet, I just noticed it as I was getting the links for you. Apparently the Reverend Volcano & Manta Ray are reviewed in the same issue.)

http://www.swartamps.com/tonequest_swart_amps_pg1.htm
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Certainly:

This one is the least expensive

http://www.swartamps.com/amplifiers_...tone_6v6se.htm

but this one has got me drooling:

http://www.swartamps.com/swart_space_tone_reverb.htm

Read the ToneQuest report (I haven't read this yet, I just noticed it as I was getting the links for you. Apparently the Reverend Volcano & Manta Ray are reviewed in the same issue.)

http://www.swartamps.com/tonequest_swart_amps_pg1.htm
    Those look really great.

But too rich for my blood.

Post Thanks / Like

Those look really great.

But too rich for my blood.
    Too rich for me, too, but maaaan are they pretty or what.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

Those Swart amps are purdy all right.....

The thing that was REALLY scary in those pics was the pic of the 2-year-old boy with a toy car in his hand standing next to the $1,300.00 amp

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

OK, I admit it, I have a Swart AST. Is it by far the most expensive musical investment I've made, and I bought it used. But it does sound gorgeous.

Last edited by aeolian; November 26th, 2007 at 01:05 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast