Thread: Taking Lessons....get the last slot of the day

Post Thanks / Like

Default Taking Lessons....get the last slot of the day

Found this recommendation on another forum...makes good sense. When i start taking lessons i am going to do this!

ww

I stumbled onto this method, but I think it's a nice trick. Find out what the teacher's last lesson is for the day/night and get the last slot if you can. This way if he's into teaching and the stuff you're working on, he'll spend a lot of extra time working with you on the stuff. If it's the last lesson there's no student knocking on the door to get you out of the seat, so if the teacher doesn't mind you can stay pretty late.
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

That's a good tip. Unfortunately, a lot of folks areteaching out of guitar shops, and they usually run lessons right up until closing time, so that's another barrier.

I once took lessons froma guy who came to my house. He was teaching at a guitar shop, and he passed my place on his way home. I made a deal that he would stop by, have dinner, give me a lesson, and then proceed on home. It was great, because we would listen to something during dinner, and what he would then teach was related to the piece we had checked out while chowing down.

Today, this guy is one of the most sought out instructors at Chicago's Old Town School of Folk Music. His Beatles and Dead classes are usually filled every session.
    Rob Smith
    I AM the bass player!

GUITARS: '93 ZON Sonus 4, '85 G&L L-2000 (Mahogany), '05 Schecter Stiletto Custom 4, '06 SX SJB-62MG (Fretless), '07 Squier Bronco (project), '06 Ibanez AEB10E-BK acoustic bass, '70s Epiphone OO-sized acoustic, '94 Peavey Reactor (extreme makeover edition)

AMPS: '03 Ampeg BA115 bass combo, '86 Peavey MkIV Series 400 bass head, SWR Workingman's cabs, 2x10" & 1x15", '00 Peavey Micro Bass

Post Thanks / Like

didn't think about that rob...sounds like you had the best deal though!

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Great tip... Here's another. Get there early, and you can learn alot just by listening through the door! I used to get to my lesson about an hour early. By the time class came around, I was warmed up and ready to go, and had worked on a concept or two that I didn't know about.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40