Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
I want to put Eminence speakers into my amp.

Thread: I want to put Eminence speakers into my amp.

Post Thanks / Like

Default I want to put Eminence speakers into my amp.

The problem I'm facing is that the 2x10 Jensen/Bugera speakers I have are 2x4Ω and all the 10 inch speakers listed on Eminence's site are all 8Ω.

Are the differences in ohms that big of a deal?

Also, the Jensen's are rated at 35 watts a piece, if I go with a 50 watt speaker, what if any impact would it have on my loudness and tone?
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

What amp are you going to use with the the cab?

Generally a *tube* amp can tolerate an impedence mismatch if it isn't too much. SS amps generally have a "nominal" impedence load so you can always go higher, but you'll lose power. You don't want to go below the nominal impedence load for an SS, amp though.

How are the 4Ω speakers hooked up? In series you have 8Ω. In parallel you have 2Ω.

As far as loudness and tone, the important factor is the sensitivity of the speaker, which is expressed as dB/W/meter or deciBels per watt at a distance of 1 meter. For example if you have a speaker rated for a sensitivity of 100, you get 100 dB out when you put one watt of power into the speaker and measure the output one meter away. If the sensitities of the speakers are similar, the extra power handling is good, IMHO.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Rob
    The problem I'm facing is that the 2x10 Jensen/Bugera speakers I have are 2x4Ω and all the 10 inch speakers listed on Eminence's site are all 8Ω.

Are the differences in ohms that big of a deal?

Also, the Jensen's are rated at 35 watts a piece, if I go with a 50 watt speaker, what if any impact would it have on my loudness and tone?
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Its a Behringer GMX210 combo amp. I don't think its wired in series, maybe parallel but I could be wrong. The speaker specs I got for the amp arent really that forthcoming with the info I need.

I need to call up Behringer to find out what one of their techs say.

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance of you speaker load, i.e., set the speaker to measure ohms. This measurement is always lower than the nominal AC impdance. For example a speaker that measures 6 ohms DC is an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will measure 3 ohms DC; a 16 ohm speaker will mesure around 12 ohm.s

It works for speakers hooked up in parallel or in series as well.

tung

Its a Behringer GMX210 combo amp. I don't think its wired in series, maybe parallel but I could be wrong. The speaker specs I got for the amp arent really that forthcoming with the info I need.

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Do you have a multimeter? Measure the DC resistance of you speaker load, i.e., set the speaker to measure ohms. This measurement is always lower than the nominal AC impdance. For example a speaker that measures 6 ohms DC is an 8 ohm speaker. A 4 ohm speaker will measure 3 ohms DC; a 16 ohm speaker will mesure around 12 ohm.s

It works for speakers hooked up in parallel or in series as well.
    I did exactly this with that new Drive 2x12 cab while I had it open, just to see how the speakers were wired and what the individual speaker impedances were. It's two 16Ω Eminence Legend's wired in parallel, as I thought. Both speakers individually measured about 13Ω and wired togther were 6.7Ω.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

My initial thought when you said you wanted to make a speaker change to the Behringer is not only concerns about the impedance, but also match the speakers as well in terms of frequency response.

Most speakers that are designed for a modeling amp, whether analog or digital, tend to have a pretty flat frequency response, so as not to color the tone too much and take away from the modeling qualities of the amp. For example, your Bassman setting may sound like a Bassman with the stock speakers, but may be colored differently if you add a different type of speaker.

Look into speakers designed specifically for modeling amps.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TS808
    My initial thought when you said you wanted to make a speaker change to the Behringer is not only concerns about the impedance, but also match the speakers as well in terms of frequency response.

Most speakers that are designed for a modeling amp, whether analog or digital, tend to have a pretty flat frequency response, so as not to color the tone too much and take away from the modeling qualities of the amp. For example, your Bassman setting may sound like a Bassman with the stock speakers, but may be colored differently if you add a different type of speaker.

Look into speakers designed specifically for modeling amps.
    That never even occured to me. Thanks for the info on that before I shot myself in the foot with a potential mistake on my part :

Guitars:

Amps:

Pedals:

Post Thanks / Like

yeah, these guys have already said what I was going to say, plus I don't generally like behringer stuff that much, their bass stuff at least, I haven't used their guitar amps, but their bass stuff just didn't meet my expectations.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

The formulae for speakers is like resistor.
    In series: Rn + Rn.. Rn is R1, R2, R3, Etc.

In parallel: 1 / ( 1/R1 + 1/R2 + 1/R3 ).. So, 2 of 8 ohm will be 4 Ohm.

Never be below your Amplifier output, You will blow the speaker..
    Bye!
    "We keep on fighting till the end" - Queen

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Speakers....

Good luck trying to get in touch with Behringer. I heard they are the worst when it comes to CS. Have you considered JBL speakers? I'd Have to admit though putting JBL's in a Behringer is like putting Diamonds on a Cow! Your probably doing the right thing going with Eminence.
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LowEndWonder
    Have you considered JBL speakers? I'd Have to admit though putting JBL's in a Behringer is like putting Diamonds on a Cow! Your probably doing the right thing going with Eminence.
    Or as ive heard a bud say a few times lipstick on a pig

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    plus I don't generally like behringer stuff that much, their bass stuff at least, I haven't used their guitar amps, but their bass stuff just didn't meet my expectations.
    True Story! I just seems like some of their stuff they put no thought into. They just grab a handful of wire, toss it into a metal box and call it an amp. Just like pie man, I've never played/heard any behringer guitar stuff, but of the bass amps they have at say, GC or Sam Ash.....utter crap! I do have a Behringer 32 channel mixer that is top notch so I can't say everything they do is garbage.....
    http://www.myspace.com/secondchanceateden
    Blues/Rock/Funk

Founding member of the Cobra Kai Decibel Dojo!

Post Thanks / Like

your amp should be 2- 8 0hm speakers in parallel for 4 ohm that is what mine is
    I wouldn't even think about putting any crap JBL's in it

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Speakers in Behringer

I have a lot of amps. One is a Behringer GM110. Never thought I'd get one but this amp was very highly rated as an analog modeling amp. I bought it for 98 and it is a great amp and sounds great. Never had a problem with it. Thirty watts. It is supposed to be a great amp.

Anyway, make sure you get the right speakers. I would do an exact ohmage match. I would not change to a different ohm speaker. Plus, you want to make sure that the speaker you choose is a better speaker than the stock ones.

I remember having a problem finding a ten inch four ohm speaker for an old marshall I had. But I believe there are a few out there. You may not be able to be brand specific but have to choose from available brands that have the proper ohm speaker; then make sure it is a high quality, highly sensitive speaker, like 100dB or more, if possible.

It will be way louder than the stock speakers, guaranteed. I doubt those speakers are close to 100dB.

Duffy
    Winfield, Pa.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

Post Thanks / Like

interesting,didn't the Behringer GM110 have a ten inch Jensen to begin with?all the analog behringer GMX series 110 I've run across came stock with one.
    Life is like a camera, just focus on what’s important and capture the good times, develop from the negatives and if things don’t work out, just take another shot. ~ Anonymous

Guitars: 1967(year they came out): Fender Coronado II Wildwood I ,Fullerton ST- 4 Fat Strat , Esteban Legacy acous/elec,99 MIA Standard Fender Strat
    Amph's Original Roland Cube 15,Drive 30 w/spring reverb

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default GM110 speaker

Mine has a Bugera. No complaints. I'd switch the speaker with no problem if I wanted to. That could make it a lot louder. Right now it's plenty loud.

It's a GM series, not a GMX. The GMX dispensed with some important features like the direct out box built right in and some other things like other outputs.

It's a sweet little amp. 98 at audioallies.com. No affiliation other than I think they are great and have a few nice items that are hard to find. The GM110 is hard to find new. Expensive at some places, as well.

Analog modeling means something. Digital modeling is something different. I imagine my Fender Super Champ XD has digital modeling and it sounds super great. I'm playing it right now, have it at the head of my bed and often fall asleep with my guitar across my chest. I'm playing my Fender Hwy One superstrat right now with a corned beef reverb pedal in front of the amp. That pedal is corney sounding but I like it. It has definitely grown on me. It has delay, the slap type, built in that you can activate with turning the dials just right. Lots of reverb tones out of that corned beef pedal. The knobs work towards each other. Like I said, it's corney but really neat.

Duffy
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)