Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I think I like my AD30 but..

Thread: I think I like my AD30 but..

Post Thanks / Like

Default I think I like my AD30 but..

Maybe it's just GAS, but all the freaking tap/turn/twist kinda bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great amp, just does a lot more stuff than I want.
    I would be happy with a clean with maybe some reverb/chorus and or delay, and a little dirt for option 2. So, I'm thinking maybe I should trade up for a straight-stick tube amp in the 20-30 watt range and compliment it with a select peddle or 2.
    I have gone through the deal of modifying ch1 and 2 to my liking.

Hmm.. looking back at what I just typed, it sounds to me like I am trying to talk myself into dropping some $ on a tube amp doesn't it ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Hmm.. looking back at what I just typed, it sounds to me like I am trying to talk myself into dropping some $ on a tube amp doesn't it ?
    Tube amps rule.

Search your feelings, you know it's true. ude:

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Peavey Classic 30, Baby!!!! You can get a good one used, has good clean and dirty channels, nice spring reverb, takes pedals well. I almost went the Vox first, and still may add one later just to play with the options, but I sure love this amph. Just one newb's opinion.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I love my Vox. Not that I wouldn't love having a tube amp as well, but what I personally love about the Vox is that when I get tired of tweaking the two pre-sets [and that definitely happens] then I can hit bypass and get that perfect Vox tone, which is perfect for my ES-135.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Traynor- built in Canada. The YCV's sound great.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Traynor-YCV20WR-...QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/TRAYNOR-YCV40-EL...QQcmdZViewItem

The new ones keep going up, but there are bargains out there.

I demo'd mine w/ a MIM Strat and pedals here, if you want a listen.

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Nice Demo OG, I forget about that, you certainly have a nice touch.
    I was thinking Traynor YCV40 after pricing a Fender or 2 in that 30-40 watt range. My first amp (still have it) was a Traynor TS15 ss I got around 1979.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought a tube amp, but STILL kept my Vox..there's something I really like about that tone from the AD**VT series amps.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh man... I hope you dropping by L&M's and Guitar Centre didn't trigger this.

I think you've got a pretty cool setup with the Vox. I noticed the Vox VT amps have come down in price recently, the AD50VT is selling for $350 now.

Anyway, have a listen to the samples of the Custom Valve20WR.

http://www.traynoramps.com/default.a...4&p2=0&p_id=37

There's one in particular I think you'll like
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Oh man... I hope you dropping by L&M's and Guitar Centre didn't trigger this.
    No, i've been mulling it over for a while.

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe it's just GAS, but all the freaking tap/turn/twist kinda bugs me. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a great amp, just does a lot more stuff than I want.
    I would be happy with a clean with maybe some reverb/chorus and or delay, and a little dirt for option 2. So, I'm thinking maybe I should trade up for a straight-stick tube amp in the 20-30 watt range and compliment it with a select peddle or 2.
    I have gone through the deal of modifying ch1 and 2 to my liking.

Read you loud and clear. After tinkering around with this amp (the 50 112 version) I have three main settings: Ch1 is a clean tweed, Ch2 is classic crunch, manual is an overdrive with a tiny bit of delay and chorus, and I am extremely happy with these tones. I love this amp, especially for practice and noodling around.

However, I got the bug, and decided to go for tubes. As I post, my Rivera Quiana 112 combo is on the Fed Ex truck headed my way. OMG I can't wait...JJ 6L6GC power

Check it:

http://rivera.com/products/quiana/quiana.php

Post Thanks / Like

I have never done anything like that...........well maybe once

Okay maybe a couple of times
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Nice, Mark, what models are the 2 on the right ?

Post Thanks / Like

Here's some reviews I found by a young Gent on another site...

http://www.dolphinstreet.com/amps/traynor_ycv_50_blue/
    http://www.dolphinstreet.com/amps/traynor_ycv40/

Note: It's mentioned in the review of the YCV40 that it 'may' be a bit much for home use, as tube amps shine when you crank them up loud.

Here's a review of the 15w model from yet another site.
    http://www.betterguitar.com/equipmen...v20review.html

Last edited by Algonquin; December 1st, 2007 at 07:57 AM.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

I like the read of that 15 watter, I don't really jam so it would be great for the house, but a nag in my head says " what if I do start jamming and need to get over drumset ?"

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Ted...

Listen to the Tone this madman is getting on his Peavey Classic 30!

Very cool IMHO
    Gearlist:

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Algonquin, there are a lot of C-30 clips showing lots of different tones in the related ones that show when that one is done. Cool! Causes me to want to experiment more. There is one clip that shows a slightly beat up looking one with an upside down logo next to a big black speaker that includes an impressive variety of sounds. I tend to stay in the relatively clean world of tones right now, might need to change that up more in the future.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson