Thread: Sonny Landreth

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sonny Landreth

Check him out if you like slide with attitude!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Landreth has got the best slide tone I've ever heard. Amazing guy.

His work with John Hiatt is phenomenal, and his solo work is mighty inspiring.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Landreth is unbelievable.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought 2 Landreth albums. The first one is called "The Road We're On". Very bluesy and with an apparent Lousiana, or cajun-style feeling. There's also modern bluesrock stuff, as well as the old Delta-blues slide style coming out of Robert Johnson.

The other one is his latest, "Grant Street", and is a live album.

Both are great albums, and lots of good songs. The nod goes to "Grant Street", since I think all good players sound the best live.

What stands out the most is his incredible style, tone and playing. He is THE master of slide, in my book (Derek Trucks is also amazing though). He has a monster tone, with lots of gain, using a strat and some delay. He is complete control, and never sounds like he's showing off. Instead, he is just playing from the heart, expressed in such an eloquent and skillful way most people can only dream about.

Even if few of us can ever get close to Sonny's playing, it is very inspirational to hear him play. It makes me want to practice more slide, and it give me such inspiration and appreciation for playing.

Get "Grant Street", and get blown away by Sonny. Oh, how I wish I could see him live! I hope he comes to Alberta one day.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Got Grant Street and it's awesome.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

When I first put on Grant Street I forgot that it was live...until I heard the crowd. Pretty good stuff for standing up playing guitar and singing like he does. Sonny is an absolute craftsman.
    I used to cover Congo Square and I really like the version on Grant Street compared to the studio version.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dammit, Sonny!! Just when I thought I was making progress!!!

Hey, boys and girls, watch this when you have time...... : :

What if "rotren" had a slide, a Heatseeker, and a Strat???
    Uh, oh......... he does!!!!!

Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Check out a Master at work....

His right hand technique is incredible. Check all the related videos on youtube too, they all kick behinds.

Hell At Home

Post Thanks / Like

Great, great musician!
    I'd put this up awhile back, but in trying to be clever with the title, I don't think anyone responded......doesn't matter......just so some people know Landreth is out there. I think he's the best I've heard on slide. This one also showed his unbelievable RH technique. I watched this and threw my slide in the trashcan....... (OK, not really, but I felt like it...).

http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=4958
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

Lesson to learn from that - try to always have a clear descriptive title when you create a new thread, otherwise people may not find it in a search and consequently the responses are few.

Post Thanks / Like

: : :
    Will do!!!
    Guitars
    Amps
    Pedals

Post Thanks / Like

No doubt......... one of the best

Post Thanks / Like

Hey folks,,

Say you had an old knockoff fender, that you got for nothing and wanted to delve into the elcectric slide arena?

It is one of those Beer Logo, indonesian made, single humbucker, one volume knob, fenders.

I have already sanded all the advertising off of the body and repainted it.

Where do I start?

Should I think about raising the action? New nut? Heavier guage strings? Flat wounds? It does have the cheap fender trem bridge, but I have screwed it tight, as I was going to give it to one of the sons and figured if I left it loose, he would end up taking it apart.

Guitar is back in my hands and I am looking for a little, low rent, project.

Any input is appreciated,,,

Thanks ahead,,

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

Steve206, start a new thread on that topic please.