Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
GAS effects, marketing, and usefulness
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GAS effects, marketing, and usefulness

Post Thanks / Like

Default GAS effects, marketing, and usefulness

I've been thinking recently about the unending compulsion many people (me included) seem to have to buy more guitar crap. We may be perfectly happy with our rig, but there's always the possibility that something else is out there that will magically fix everything.

I really think that there are two competing priorities when it comes to new gear: novelty vs. practicality. Sometimes they go hand in hand, but frequently we buy something not because we think it will work for us, but because it has lots of options and gizmos on it, and we hope something will click with us.

Many times, manufacturers play into this mindset by offering tons of options on new amps, effects boards, etc. The longer we fiddle with knobs, the longer it takes before the novelty wears off and we settle into the question of "does this actually work for me?"

When I think about gear in this manner, it helps me to focus on whether a new piece of equipment actually addresses my needs/wants or whether it's just something that I think might be cool.

What do you think? Agree or disagree?
    Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Does anyone read the original post?
    Guitars: Gibson LP Studio, MIA Fender Precision, Carvin C350
    Amps: Genz Benz Shuttle 6.0 + Avatar B212 / Genzler 12-3, Acoustic B20
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

What if it's both cool AND practical?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, the answer is pretty obvious. It's 99% about marketing. The latest cell phone, computer, TV, video game, you name it. It taps into what seems to be a natural human craving for novelty (gee, why do guys cheat on their wives), and marketing & advertising people know well how to exploit that. Then there's the desire to be the first on the block to have the latest/greatest gadget - witness the lines of idiots waiting to buy the first iPhone. And of course the ego aspect of owning some "holy grail" thing that's "the best" one out there.

The phonomenon is certainly not limited to guitarists, but they're a good case study.

There's a certain mindlessness that I see in some people as they go about acquiring new gear, almost as if they've been hypnotized or brainwashed.

Post Thanks / Like

Guitarists are basically like children. We will throw a tantrum and insist we need the cool new toy that we saw on TV or in the magazine. Once we get it we will quickly lose interest.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

On a side note: If anyone has seen pictures of my guitar rig and thought I'd gone overboard, you're in for a treat. I've taken my pedal steel rig to a whole new level of unnecessary. Pictures to follow.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hubberjub
    Guitarists are basically like children. We will throw a tantrum and insist we need the cool new toy that we saw on TV or in the magazine. Once we get it we will quickly lose interest.
    And like George Harrison sang, "What they need's a damn good whacking".

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You have a valid point, Eric. The industry sure likes to hype everything, and the magic word they abuse is "Tone". Maybe all the hype is what causes my to cautiously approach a new purchase with plenty of research and hands on before I make a decision. I hate buyer's remorse!

Also, what's with the BS tactic of MSRP and Street Price? It is so common, no one should think that the difference makes the product's street price seem like a bargain. Markup for guitars is relatively low compared to accessories.

I'm much more influenced by online demos from individuals than ad's in a magazine or a manufacturer's website.

If you think marketing is extreme in guitars, you should see other industries where technology drives change at a much faster pace, like bicycles, motorcycles, and the grand daddy, cell phones.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Squier Vintage Modified Jaguar Bass Short Scale
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, today there's tons of gear designed to emulate or recreate the sounds of gear that was declared obsolete and replaced with "more advanced" products.

Same is probably true of 95% of what most first worlders buy in one way or another. Whether it's guitar gear, cars, washing powder or beer. It's what makes the world go down.
    umm...I mean around

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tig
    You have a valid point, Eric. The industry sure likes to hype everything, and the magic word they abuse is "Tone". Maybe all the hype is what causes my to cautiously approach a new purchase with plenty of research and hands on before I make a decision. I hate buyer's remorse!

Also, what's with the BS tactic of MSRP and Street Price? It is so common, no one should think that the difference makes the product's street price seem like a bargain. Markup for guitars is relatively low compared to accessories.

I'm much more influenced by online demos from individuals than ad's in a magazine or a manufacturer's website.

If you think marketing is extreme in guitars, you should see other industries where technology drives change at a much faster pace, like bicycles, motorcycles, and the grand daddy, cell phones.
    I almost think the online demos and reviews are just more of the same. MSRP and company talk has been meaningless for awhile, so I agree with you.

I'll give you an example of my point:

There's been talk aplenty on here recently about how great the Roland Cube 60 is. Same with my recent talk of Carvin guitars. So I go on ebay, start looking them up, maybe watch a couple of particular items, etc.

I have to stop and ask myself why I'm doing this. Sure, the Cube can do lots of nice sounds, giving convincing models of Fender, Vox, Roland, and even Marshall amps. HOWEVER, I have an amp right now (Tech 21 TM60) that is the same weight, has tons of different voicings and options, and does a great XLR line out, which is something I use regularly.

Many of the strengths of the Cube are in the clean models, and I honestly don't use clean that much. Even clean parts of mine usually have a little bit of hair on them. Why oh why would I have ANY interest in a new amp to take care of and find an excuse to use?

I finally shook off this compulsion and realized that it's not that I think a new amp would help me find a tone I like or that it would be easier to use. It's that it's undiscovered territory. I might be missing out on something great. I want to have all of the options.

I'm honestly still not finished discovering my TM60, but when I am, I don't want to buy something else just because I'm bored with my equipment or I feel like what's available now might never be available again. Just because the honeymoon is over does not mean it's time to find some other thing for the novelty. All it means is that I can now control and really use the thing I've invested all of these dollars in.

I think it's easy to skip from one novelty to another, and the more complicated a multi-effects board is, the longer it takes to futz with all of the settings and the longer the honeymoon is, so it looks attractive to us as prospective buyers. Nevermind the fact that you might not use even a fraction of the capability when all is said and done and it's not actually as practical as you think it is.

At least, the above has been my personal experience. Could be I'm just more simple than others, but I find that sometimes you pay for novelty and buy because of it, when the post-honeymoon musician actually probably just wants something that works, not a toy.
    Last edited by Eric; July 14th, 2010 at 11:35 AM.
    Pedals: Pod HD500X, Diamond Compressor, Tech 21 VT Bass, Sonic Research Turbo Tuner

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by syo
    Funny, today there's tons of gear designed to emulate or recreate the sounds of gear that was declared obsolete and replaced with "more advanced" products.
    Think of how cheap you could get a Les Paul '54-'59 back in the 60's for instance.

Yep, in reality, many old vintage guitars, amps, and certain effects boxes are the most desirable equipment you can (or can't) buy. Some of the newer stuff tries hard to emulate the classic stuff, which is fine since most of us sure can't afford the originals.
    Guitar: Gibson SG Standard Natural Burst, Squier CV 50's Tele, Hell Guitars No. 2, Squier CV 50's Strat, Reverend Club King 290, Taylor 522e 12-Fret mahogany,
    Amp: Fender Super Champ X2 Head, Egnater Tweaker 15, Fender Mustang I, Acoustic B20 1x12 bass amp
    Pedal: Budda Budwah wah, Wampler Ego Compressor, Electro-Harmonix Soul Food, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive, Wampler Velvet Fuzz, Seven Sisters Eve Tremolo, TC Electronics Gravy Tri Chorus & Vibrato, Catalinbread Echorec, TC Electronic Alter Ego 2 Delay, Hardwire Supernatural Ambient Verb, MXR Carbon Copy, Catalinbread RAH, Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker, BYOC Mouse 2.0 Distortion, BYOC Boost/OD-2

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Your Tech 21 TM60 is plenty good, and you clearly enjoy it, so you are right in not really needing/wanting another amp.

Here's where I get banned:
    We should be happy with all the guitars and amp we already have instead of being swept up in the perpetual consumerism game.

Well, it was nice knowing everyone! (Just kidding)

Seriously, I'm just as guilty as anyone! It isn't necessarily a bad thing to buy more stuff. I just think we need to keep grounded and happy with the here and now, no matter what happens. Then, anything new is all the sweeter!

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to take into account is that the guitar is modular. And an electric guitar at the bare minimum includes a guitar, a cable and an amp.

With a Les Paul type guitar, you're stuck with a body and a neck, but most of the other parts can be swapped out for something different: pickups, bridge, tuners, strings, nut, frets, etc.

With Fender style bolt on guitars you have even more choices to swap out with the neck being detachable from the body.

The amp is the same way. You can swap out the tubes, the speaker and the transformers to start. You can also swap out parts on the component level: caps, resistors, pots, sockets, etc.

The modular nature of the guitar can be a great strength, but it has really turned into a huge curse. Guitar players get so consumed in their tone quests that they lose sight of the original purpose of the guitar: to perform music.

What I'm getting at is just because you can do something, doesn't mean that you should. (By "you" I mean all of us, I'm just as guilty as anyone of doing this.

And like a lot of guitarists, I'm guilty of this because I'm not that good of a player, but rather than work hard to develop some real skill, it is easier to change out my gear. It is a quick fix, but ultimately unsatisfying.

Post Thanks / Like

We should be happy with all the guitars and amp we already have instead of being swept up in the perpetual consumerism game.

Seriously, I'm just as guilty as anyone! It isn't necessarily a bad thing to buy more stuff. I just think we need to keep grounded and happy with the here and now, no matter what happens. Then, anything new is all the sweeter!
    I agree, and what I've been trying to say is that 9 times out of 10 the restlessness we feel isn't a desire for greater functionality -- it's really more of a desire for more novelty, which we lose once we know a piece of gear. It's a trap, and more bells and whistles only adds to the novelty and attraction of that next bit of gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Oh, No!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    It's a trap, and more bells and whistles only adds to the novelty and attraction of that next bit of gear.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for posting this, Eric. It's a good thing to think about, no matter how painful (somewhat tongue in cheek, but not that much).

I'm seldom convinced I should buy something because of an ad; more likely, I've heard good stuff about it HERE! Or I've tried one, and it impressed me, like the aforementioned Cube. Sometimes it's a glowing review, or video. Sometimes it's just a whim. I'm not immune from the occasional impulse gear purchase, and I know I have more than I need, and I even think more than I deserve sometimes. But...that said, if I have the funds to dispose of, and nobody in the family has to go without shoes this winter because of my impulse, who's it hurting? In the end, someone will benefit from it, whether it's something I love and can't figure out how I ever did without, or I'll pass it on to someone who might get more benefit from it than I am. I might even sell it, but I'm more likely to give it away. Unless it's a guitar, that's different. I realize I'm somewhat of a gear junkie (not the word I was thinking, but I'm keeping it PC), but I have fun with it while it's around, and if I don't then someone else just might.

But yes, there is a definite issue out there of creating a percieved need, where there really isn't one. That's how the free market thrives even in tough economic times, no? Well, maybe not thrives, but at least it survives.

No matter what you put out on the market, there's always going to be somebody willing to buy it. Like PT Barnum said...you know the rest.
    -Sean
    Guitars: Lots.
    Amphs: More than last year.
    Pedals: Many, although I go straight from guitar to amp more often lately.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    I agree, and what I've been trying to say is that 9 times out of 10 the restlessness we feel isn't a desire for greater functionality -- it's really more of a desire for more novelty, which we lose once we know a piece of gear. It's a trap, and more bells and whistles only adds to the novelty and attraction of that next bit of gear.
    I thought about this (warning!) a little more and there can be a few good reasons for more bells and whistles...
    I'm looking into a really good, mid priced multi-effects system not for some endless chase for tone, but because I need/want several effects that will cost several times more if I buy individual pedals. Like many, my guitar budget is limited. A $200-$300 multi pedal would fulfill the missing gaps that allow me to create tones and soundscapes that are unavailable to me now. I could spend a $1000 or more for individual pedals, yet still wouldn't have as much to work with.

Same goes for any new player that doesn't know what effects they like or need, so a modeling amp or multi effects unit can do a good job for a small amount of investment.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought about this (warning!) a little more and there can be a few good reasons for more bells and whistles...
    I'm looking into a really good, mid priced multi-effects system not for some endless chase for tone, but because I need/want several effects that will cost several times more if I buy individual pedals. Like many, my guitar budget is limited. A $200-$300 multi pedal would fulfill the missing gaps that allow me to create tones and soundscapes that are unavailable to me now. I could spend a $1000 or more for individual pedals, yet still wouldn't have as much to work with.

Same goes for any new player that doesn't know what effects they like or need, so a modeling amp or multi effects unit can do a good job for a small amount of investment.
    Totally agree with you here, particularly on the part about new players and not knowing what they like.

Maybe a more accurate statement (can you tell that I think out loud a lot???) would be to say I find that if I'm looking at something similar to something I already have (possibly with more features, possibly not), there's a good chance that it's the novelty that is pulling me in.

If you're looking at MFX units, can I put in a positive vote for the Boss ME series and the Digitech GNX series? I own the ME-50 and find it to be a great non-amp-modeling unit, and anecdotally it seems like the GNX's can be had on the cheap and are very solid units.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty well immune to marketing hype. If we're talking about guitar equipment,consumer electronics or anything else. Often the more hype there is over something the more skeptical I am.
    You will not find the latest fashions in my cloths closet. My cell phone is a little Nokia,not even a flip phone,no special features. Works great for talk and text but does little else. My latest computer is a Toshiba Satellite laptop. All the features and drives I need and fairly powerfull but definately not the laptop that is cutting edge and selling like hotcakes. I don't like things like twitter or blogging. I hate gadgets like the Kindal (sp?)reader and would prefer a good old fashioned book. If a movie comes out that everyone is talking about and it is saturated with media hype,chances are I will be sick of it and not watch it for at least 3-5 years. I am just not a trendy kind of guy. When I see the herd running in one direction I am the black sheep who looks for the cliff they might be running towards off in the distance.
    That said-I am still very susceptible to GAS. It's not about gadgetry or hype for me. It's just a simple compulsion I have to acquire and collect. It is hard for me to resist increasing my lot on many items I enjoy and collect. Fortunately I have learned to manage it reasonably well with my guitars and equipment. I just don't have the money or the room these days. So I have become realistic and somewhat minimalistic with my equipment.
    I learned quite some time ago that complicated effects units or amps with dozens of knobs and features are not for me. I play best and get the best tone with the highest qualty guitar I can get my hands on plugged directly into a decent tube amp. Puting a pedal or two in the chain for certain soundsis OK,but that is it. My journey has taken me to my current rig after many years of exploring and sometimes going on a wrong tangent.
    Even though that is the case I am still fighting GAS. My collection will not be complete until I have some kind of hollowbody or semi-hollow body to play. I'd like to throw a telecaster in the mix at some point. I have the urge to rebuild my Strat with some new pickups and hardware since it is 9 years old and still bone stock. Whats next after that? Who knows. Maybe I'll want a sweet acoustic or a Les Paul in a different color and different pickups. Maybe I'll get in a band and decide my 30 watt combo isn't cutting it. So then I'll have to get a Marshall or Bogner head and 2 x 12 cab to keep up.
    No matter what your motivation for acquisition is I think it is important to look at the big picture. How is it effecting the rest of your life? As far as I am concerned if you can afford your equipment habit,you are not neglecting any responsibilities,and no one is being hurt by it, have fun and enjoy yourself. We're not blowing our hard earned money on things like gambling,drugs or hookers,right?
    LeadedEL84

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

I buy new stuff all the time because I get a big kick out of it. That's it really.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast