Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Ouch, Someone Doesn't Like Clapton - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ouch, Someone Doesn't Like Clapton

Post Thanks / Like

They say alcohol is a truth serum. Part of me can't believe it (the whole Clapton thing and comment made) and then part of me easily believes it. We humans can get ugly when we want to. And we can also get brilliant at times. Life varies as my brother in law used to say.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Brian makes a very interesting point. In light of EC's comments, and his long-standing refusal to retract them, how would you feel if you were of African origin and were supposed to play with Clapton? Personally, I think wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play with someone of his calibre, but I probably wouldn't want to associate with him offstage. As long as he kept his racism to himself while we played I'd be cool.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Brian makes a very interesting point. In light of EC's comments, and his long-standing refusal to retract them, how would you feel if you were of African origin and were supposed to play with Clapton? Personally, I think wouldn't pass up the opportunity to play with someone of his calibre, but I probably wouldn't want to associate with him offstage. As long as he kept his racism to himself while we played I'd be cool.
    I think I'd probably handle it the same way. Hard to say. While I wasn't born into money or anything (nor do I make any to speak of nowadays), still I've had a fairly privileged white upbringing and can't begin to understand what it might feel like to have to deal with such issues.

Again, I should reiterate that I'm not saying Clapton is a racist, only that there's no way of telling and he's actually making it harder on himself by not clearing the air more directly than he has.

I remember a long time ago Elvis Costello got snockered while on tour here in the States and said some directly racist things (iirc using the N-word), and Jerry Lee Lewis once famously set his piano on fire before invoking the N-word to see if the black performer who got top billing (iirc it may've been Little Richard or Chuck Berry) "could follow that."

I've always wondered to what extent they apologized or recanted, or blamed the booze. It certainly shows Clapton is not alone in such things.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

As an Irishman I would rarely defend a Conservative British politician. However in order to give some balance to this debate I thought I should point out that Enoch Powell was not some extreme marginalised right wing looney (well history may show he was..) But at that time he was in fact one of the most popular British politicians.

Britain was in the midst of an economic depression at the time while having no immigration policies to speak of - unsustainable in any economic model. Powell was the first to speak out publicly about this and his views were labelled as racist by many of his opponents in order to gain political advantage.

I'm not saying I agree or disagree and that's not why I'm making the point. What I'm trying to say is that Clapton was certainly not alone in the view point that he held. For what it's worth I don't believe for one second that Clapton is a racist now or was at that time.

...this journalist should hang his head in shame for writing such an unbalanaced character assasination!!
    - Lev

Main Guitars: Fender US Deluxe HSS Strat, PRS SE C24, Fender Baja Tele
    Bass Guitar: Squier VM Jaguar Special
    Main Amp: Vox AC15
    Main Effects: Digitech EXP-7, Line6 M5, Soul Food, Sub n UP, Flashback, Polara Verb
    Vids: www.youtube.com/levguitar

Post Thanks / Like

Brian, glad you brought up the Elvis Costello story as I had been thinking of that as well. At least he distanced himself from his comments once he sobered up.

One more trivia note on the Enoch Powell thing. If I am not mistaken, the Beatles' "Get Back" originated out of a jam they were doing ad-libbing lyrics in critical response to Powell's infamous "Rivers of Blood" speech. Apparently, some of the bootleg "Let it Be" sessions feature recordings of "Get Back" with some of these lyrics remaining [not any that I have though].
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

I doubt any of us would like to be reminded of some of the things we said when we were young, cocky and drunk (or otherwise altered). If you truly believed that Clapton was a racist, do you think he'd garner the genuine respect that he does from African-American blues players? Or that he'd allow himself to be depicted as B.B. King's driver on the cover of Riding with the King? A completely ridiculous implication, IMO.

Forgetting about his musical contributions completely for the moment, just considering what he's done for addicts with his Crossroads Centre in Antigua should be enough to earn the admiration of any fair-minded person. Which pretty much leaves out this clown Kieron Tyler.....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

So at least we are all in agreement that the author of the article is an imbecile.

Post Thanks / Like

You know what I care very little about the demands of the hand wringing self appointed supposed "guardians" of what is right demanding apologies. On the racial topic there is plenty of blame to go round in the whole racial arena for both sides and Ill stop here as this will eventually devolve into a political debat and the fret isnt the place for it. So for me suffice it to say I judge people by their actions today I will not take EC to task as a racist by one comment years ago but by judging from his actions. This article was a cheap shot hit piece.

One last note in my 53 years of life having grown up in the Bronx and then in Miami and now living in SoCal plus having traveled all over the US. I have found those in the public eye that accuse others of racism behind closed doors are the biggest flippin racists of them all. This isnt directed to anyone posting here just my life experience that I have seen personally numerous times.

Thanks Lev for bringing such convienently left out facts of the days when these statements were made. So much BS derives in out of context drivelc parroted by dolts like the one who wrote the hit piece.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Default something positive

i thought we all deserved some positive EC time, so here is some video.

"Furthur On Up the Road," and while I have no info on the date, the band has George Harrison on rhythm, and EC and George seem to be having a lot of fun.

BTW, thanks to Tung for starting this thread. This has been an interesting discussion.:

Post Thanks / Like

See what a jerk Clapton is. He makes Harrison stand behind him the whole time. I mean come on...that's George Harrison. He shouldn't have to stand behind anybody. Especially the guy that stole his wife. Come on now. Who wrote "Something" and "Old Brown Shoe" anyway?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I doubt any of us would like to be reminded of some of the things we said when we were young, cocky and drunk (or otherwise altered). If you truly believed that Clapton was a racist, do you think he'd garner the genuine respect that he does from African-American blues players? Or that he'd allow himself to be depicted as B.B. King's driver on the cover of Riding with the King? A completely ridiculous implication, IMO.

Forgetting about his musical contributions completely for the moment, just considering what he's done for addicts with his Crossroads Centre in Antigua should be enough to earn the admiration of any fair-minded person. Which pretty much leaves out this clown Kieron Tyler.....
    +1

And screw the politically correct crap. There are racist everywhere and as much as you, me or anyone else might not like it, it's their right to an opinion. The same can be said for many of the statements made in this thread - it's only opinion and not much else.

And as for the "N word", that is getting pretty old.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    See what a jerk Clapton is. He makes Harrison stand behind him the whole time. I mean come on...that's George Harrison. He shouldn't have to stand behind anybody. Especially the guy that stole his wife. Come on now. Who wrote "Something" and "Old Brown Shoe" anyway?
    Hilarious Spud. You know the part early in the video where Clapton whispers something to George? I bet it's a racist joke.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Hilarious Spud. You know the part early in the video where Clapton whispers something to George? I bet it's a racist joke.
    Or reminding George not to stand in front of him...or maybe saying how great he is on guitar and thanking George for playing rhythm...or best yet, I'm peaking!

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12