Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ouch, Someone Doesn't Like Clapton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ouch, Someone Doesn't Like Clapton

I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, seems to rag on the dark parts of his past and that's about it.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Most in North America don't know about Clapton's drunken racist tirade or his pointed refusal, when given the chance, to apologize for it.

I had already heard abou it, and it makes me sad. In vino veritas?

That said, the writer clearly has a chip on his shoulder. Virtually every UK rock guitarist in the 60's borrowed heavily from US bluesmen: bfd. Clapton has always been a performer/instrumentalist foremost and a writer second.

As for his personal habits or relationships, I fail to see how that's relevant to Clapton as a guitarist. Sometimes bad people play well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Virtually every UK rock guitarist in the 60's borrowed heavily from US bluesmen: bfd. Clapton has always been a performer/instrumentalist foremost and a writer second.
    Excellent point BK. I'm not sure anybody has ever tried to claim that Clapton is the most inventive guitarist or songwriter. So far as I can tell it's Clapton's technique that has earned him the respect he gets.

As for his personal habits or relationships, I fail to see how that's relevant to Clapton as a guitarist. Sometimes bad people play well.
    If we dismissed every great musician who wasn't the greatest person off the stage, we'd have few left to listen to. Musically, I idolize Bird and Miles, but from everything I have read [especially Miles autobiography] they were not the kind of people I'd have wanted to spend 2 seconds around when they weren't playing music. Most of the world knows Ty Cobb was a racist a-hole, but he still could play baseball like nobody else. When it comes to musicians and athletes and the like, I don't care about their personal lives unless I know them personally. This writer obviously has some issue with Clapton, but he doesn't express it in any meaningful way.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R_of_G
    Musically, I idolize Bird and Miles, but from everything I have read [especially Miles autobiography] they were not the kind of people I'd have wanted to spend 2 seconds around when they weren't playing music.
    I picked up Warren Zevon's biography "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" the other day from the library. I'm about 100 pages in, and I already feel like I need a shower. A world-class songwriter, but was a major pr*ck. I love his music, though. So point taken about personality.

I don't hate Clapton, but I don't particularly like him, either. I do like Mayall's "Bluesbreakers" and I have "Money and Cigarettes" (mainly because Albert Lee is on it.) But, IMHO, he's been putting out the same tired, retread of an album for the last 35 years. I know lots of people love his music, and I wouldn't try to take that away from them, but Clapton just doesn't do it for me.

To contrast, take Jeff Beck. He has constantly pushed himself musically. He has grown and changed. He's pushed himself and it shows. Just when you think he can't be any better, he comes out with something new and mind-blowing.

$.02

tung

Post Thanks / Like

this guy has a gun pointed at Clapton....for what? All this is going to do IMHO is make people read more into Clapton (and his music) and make the people who already like Clapton stop reading his articles. That being said its a Win/Win for Slowhand and a Lose/Lose for the writer of this babble.

W/W = any publicity is good publicity when your a popular as Clap and as well known.

L/L = he wanted people to not go to his shows and see how Eric "really is"...

Now their just going to buy Clapton's new book and stop reading his blabber!
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

wow....i wish i sucked as bad as clapton!
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I just found out yesterday that he is living just outside of Columbus, Ohio with his current wife (I guess she's from that area).

That's a little over two hours from my house - maybe I can go down there and jam, then again, maybe not.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

hey, what have you got to lose ? Maybe he'll let you take out one of his hot rods !

Post Thanks / Like

strum....let me know when you go, I live in cincinnati so its a hop skip and a jump for me....... lets go jam with clapton!
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, the worst he could do is say "get the hell off my property." :
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

People like to take jabs at performers who didn't have the decency to die young. You look at how players like Rhoads, SRV, Hendrix, etc. are all worshiped with hardly any negative criticism. They all died on top of their game - still young and only around a short enough time not to disappoint. Clapton didn't - a surprise to him as well I'm sure - and, in fact, has gone through different musical styles as the decades progressed. This is only natural. If you've been around as long as he, you're bound to take heat for "jumping out of your mold" or going for a different musical style that doesn't appeal to all of your fan base. **** them. I think I'd be pretty bored playing the same shit I played in the 60s 40 years later too.

I think the writer of that article was unnecessarily harsh towards Clapton, especially with regards to stealing from others. Clapton, like all others, took up guitar to emulate the heroes of his time but he most definitely has a style unique unto himself. I do not mistake Clapton's playing for Page's or Beck's, etc. If you dig a bit you'll find that he's a very modest man. So modest, in fact, that he was unsure of his own vocal ability and had to be coaxed to sing.

Do I like all Clapton tunes? Do I think he's the best guitarist to have ever walked the planet? No, on both counts BUT I do believe he is an amazing talent and has brought more to the table than many others past and present. He's one of the few remaining from an era where the music came first and it came from the heart. In an era of pop stardom where talent takes a back seat to appearance, where people shell out big bucks to watch lip synced performances and where few kids even have a clue what taste is he should be appreciated even more.

The talent of Clapton should not even be questioned. It was this talent that inspired a slew of young guitarists to play - Edward Van Halen credits him as a huge influence. I was influenced by EVH, Clapton, Gilmour, and the list goes on. I'll never play like any of these people but that's not the point. I was inspired to play by them and that's got to account for a whole lot in my book.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    I picked up Warren Zevon's biography "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" the other day from the library. I'm about 100 pages in, and I already feel like I need a shower. A world-class songwriter, but was a major pr*ck. I love his music, though. So point taken about personality.
    I felt the same way after reading a Steve Earle bio.

Post Thanks / Like

Nicely put StingX.

Post Thanks / Like

I felt the same way after reading a Steve Earle bio.
    Which one did you read? There are two listed on Amazon.com.

tung

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Which one did you read? There are two listed on Amazon.com.

tung
    Hardcore Troubadour: The Life and Near Death of Steve Earle by Lauren St John

Post Thanks / Like

Just another loser psuedo journalist using a someone elses fame to rub some sunshine on his own face. As far as the racism well tell that to BB and all of Eric's black friends and band members!....anyone see BB's toast at Crossroads 07? Was Eric a raging butthead when he was a dope fiend and drunk...sure he openly admits it and seems to be doing what he can to finish up his life as a decent human. He has done so much to bring the blues and especially the people they came from to the forefront and he has always credited the people who's songs he covered. Unlike a few rock group icons that stole everything that wasnt nailed down and claimed it for their own, then fought to deny the rightful authors their due. The author of the article is a dolt pure and simple. I tend to judge people by their actions and I think EC is out of the dark and into the light these days. His contributions to music will stand the test of time and the idiot writing this article will be forgotten in oh about 10 minutes.
    Git-tires EC Custom Strat, Gibson ES-335, Custom built Tele, Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, Martin 000-28EC Acoustic, Gibson SG Classic
    Hearin aids-AmphsCustom hand built 5E3 Magic Markie Mojotone Amph, Fender Blackline dripedge 69 Princeton Reverb, 69 SF/DE Vibro-Champ, 64 Blackface Deluxe reverb, 64 Princeton 6G2 Fender, D'Lite ODS 22, Rumble 60 Bass amph
    EffectsBoss CH1 Chorus, Boss DD-3 Delay, Vox wah, Tonebone Classic, TS-9 modded, Bad Bob,Sweetsound Mojo-vibe, Boss RC-20XL Loopstation, Peterson Strobstomp, ZYS pedal, Keeley Comp, Boss LS-2, Zendrive, Menatone Howie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    He has done so much to bring the blues and especially the people they came from to the forefront and he has always credited the people who's songs he covered. Unlike a few rock group icons that stole everything that wasnt nailed down and claimed it for their own, then fought to deny the rightful authors their due.
    I think you nailed it right there Mark. The author takes EC to task for "stealing" the blues. I have read every interview with EC I can get my hands on, and never once have I heard him claim to have invented anything. He is EXTREMELY humble about his playing [esp. for someone as vastly talented as he is] and always gives credit where it's due. If this author only listens to artists who invented the kind of music they play he must have a very small collection.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Just another loser psuedo journalist using a someone elses fame to rub some sunshine on his own face. As far as the racism well tell that to BB and all of Eric's black friends and band members!....anyone see BB's toast at Crossroads 07? Was Eric a raging butthead when he was a dope fiend and drunk...sure he openly admits it and seems to be doing what he can to finish up his life as a decent human.
    Although he's made a point of not recanting that original very public racist remark, and even, many years after it (2004), repeating his admiration for the race-baiting politico?

Even George Wallace eventually admitted he was wrong in advocating the same type of notions that Enoch Powell supported. It would be easy for Clapton to just say "I was wrong about Enoch Powell," rather than some generalized "I should get a free pass from '73-'84 (or whenever) because I was on drugs."

Having black friends and coworkers cuts both ways under these circumstances. The "Some of my best friends are black" defense devolves not to the necessary conclusion that the speaker is not racist, but instead to one of two opposing conclusions, either of which could be true: 1)the speaker is not racist, OR, 2) the speaker is racist but is also two-faced to those he calls friends, and says one thing when they're around and another when they're not.

By not taking the expedient option of specifically recanting his drink/drugged-out support of a racist politican (and in fact publicly stating what appears to be Clapton's continuing admiration for the guy decades later), Clapton adds fuel to the fire that the second option above is the accurate one.

Which saddens me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast