Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Squier Strat
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Squier Strat

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Squier Strat

I want a Strat, but have to go economical.

What are the good and bad features to look out for (and not the obvious like the top half of the neck missing).

I've heard a couple of good things about MIM Squier Strats, but not sure how difficult they are to locate.

Here are two Squiers I'm looking at:

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0301200505

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

The color is what attracted me to this one.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

That '81 looks mint, like it was hardly played, just hope it wasn't the guitar's fault! I DO like maple necks!

Twenty-six years later, you need some opinions of actual '81 owners. This was early on, had the Koreans learned to do consistent good work by then? Come on, vintage woners, help js out!

On the other hand I hear nothing but raves from owners of the new VM Squiers. You get a new warranty, 30-day return at most retailers, and you get to choose your color!

pes_laul Guest

Hmmm I wonder if the VMstrat has sealed tuners like the 81' on the specs for the VM it just says DIE CAST TUNERS

Post Thanks / Like

I has an 80's MIK Squier Strat that was kinda craptastic. Of the 2 listed I'd go new where it could be returned in case you get a dog. With the exception of special series like the 80's MIJ Squiers (I had an 80's MIJ Squier Tele that was fine, and still have an 80's MIJ Squier P-Bass), the MIM Squiers, and the Vista Series (mainly MIJ), I'd avoid early Squiers if you can't play first.

Post Thanks / Like

I have that same series of Squier from 81.
    If you look around the forum you can probably find a photo of it. Mine is black with a maple fingerboard. The electronics are crap. Feels like a good quality guitar and acoustically sounds great though. Just plugged in it sounds like poop. One of these days I'll upgrade the pickups and pots. The radius on the neck seems a little flat too. It's also a thin neck front to back.

My opinion is go for the vintage modified. I've heard only good about them so far. My first choice would be the Deluxe series though. I have 3 of the Limited Edition Standards and the necks are nice and round. They are real guitars that, as always, could benefit from some small improvements.

Other options if you aren't in a hurry is to find the Cherryburst Standard from China and the Silverburst. Both good quality and sound good with good playability. Unfortunately they were discontinued so used it will have to be.

Listen to Brian too. He knows.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If you look around the forum you can probably find a photo of it. Mine is black with a maple fingerboard. The electronics are crap. Feels like a good quality guitar and acoustically sounds great though. Just plugged in it sounds like poop. One of these days I'll upgrade the pickups and pots. The radius on the neck seems a little flat too. It's also a thin neck front to back.

My opinion is go for the vintage modified. I've heard only good about them so far. My first choice would be the Deluxe series though. I have 3 of the Limited Edition Standards and the necks are nice and round. They are real guitars that, as always, could benefit from some small improvements.

Other options if you aren't in a hurry is to find the Cherryburst Standard from China and the Silverburst. Both good quality and sound good with good playability. Unfortunately they were discontinued so used it will have to be.

Spud, that daphne blue deluxe looks awesome.. hmmm.. *sniff* I smell g.a.s!
    Have you played anything on that deluxe strat?
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

The new Deluxes (not the older quilt top ones) are going to be the "schizzle" when they become available. No one has them available yet, though.

I would try the VM. Many people have had positive things to say about the looks, tone, and playability of the new VMs. Good luck!
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I want a Strat, but have to go economical.

What are the good and bad features to look out for (and not the obvious like the top half of the neck missing).

I've heard a couple of good things about MIM Squier Strats, but not sure how difficult they are to locate.

Here are two Squiers I'm looking at:

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0301200505

or

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll....cWAT.m240.lVI

The color is what attracted me to this one.
    How much do you plan on spending? I often find MIM Fenders on Craigslist for 200ish. You can always give it some time and check your local Craigslist.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Adrian30
    How much do you plan on spending? I often find MIM Fenders on Craigslist for 200ish. You can always give it some time and check your local Craigslist.
    Not sure on the amount. Basically it will be cookie jar money and I prefer a small cookie jar (the less, the better). I was just at the Sweetwater site and they have the new Deluxe advertised ($290), but don't have them in yet.

"Worth Waiting For!
    Squier has informed us that this item has an unusually long shipping delay. Be assured we'll get it as quick or quicker than anyone else. Call your Sales Engineer, who can give you the most up-to-date details and possibly offer you alternatives that would ship sooner. We have a great relationship with Squier and we'll receive this item as soon or sooner than anyone else in the country. "

This one causes

http://www.squierguitars.com/product...tno=0300500523
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Oh I forgot to mention other options beyond what's in the OP.

As others have said above, a used MIM Fender is a good choice. I had a used MIM Strat for a couple years (bought in a pawn 4 or 5 years ago for $150, now they're $200-250 used) that was perfectly giggable stock. Though I sold it, there was nothing wrong with it, just needed funds for another deal and knew I could always find another (plus I sold it to a kid from church and wanted his first electric to be a good'un).

When it came time to replace the MIM Strat, I went with a used 90's USA Peavey Predator. They are basically the same as a 90's MIM Fender (poplar body, ceramic pickups, maple neck) but have an extra 22nd fret and are even cheaper than used MIM's, due to the "name on the headstock" factor. Mine was $100 (+shipping) from Ebay. Sounds and plays great, had a couple dings that obviously don't affect playability.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sub006
    That '81 looks mint, like it was hardly played, just hope it wasn't the guitar's fault! I DO like maple necks!

Twenty-six years later, you need some opinions of actual '81 owners. This was early on, had the Koreans learned to do consistent good work by then? Come on, vintage woners, help js out!

On the other hand I hear nothing but raves from owners of the new VM Squiers. You get a new warranty, 30-day return at most retailers, and you get to choose your color!
    It's up to $255 with a little over 2 hours to go.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

It's up to $255 with a little over 2 hours to go.
    Meh.

I'd pay that much for an MIJ maybe.

Not for MIK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    Meh.

I'd pay that much for an MIJ maybe.

Not for MIK.
    Yep, it's a really nice looking guitar, but it's exceeded what I feel would have been a good deal. From what little I've learned about Squiers and Fenders in the past few weeks, I would probably agree with you on the MIJ being a maybe, but it couldn't go much higher and I would feel it was too high.

I want to see what this closes at - I'm guessing $295 to $305. I suspect a light flurry in the final minute, but nothing too heavy.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Yep, it's a really nice looking guitar, but it's exceeded what I feel would have been a good deal. From what little I've learned about Squiers and Fenders in the past few weeks, I would probably agree with you on the MIJ being a maybe, but it couldn't go much higher and I would feel it was too high.

I want to see what this closes at - I'm guessing $295 to $305. I suspect a light flurry in the final minute, but nothing too heavy.
    Back in the early 90's I paid a bit too much for a MIJ Squier Tele, $300 w/ohsc. After keeping it for several years I managed to sell it for what I paid for it. Since I bought it pre-internet, I vowed thereafter to always research my buys and always get a good deal from there on in.

And I have.

Post Thanks / Like

Well, it closed at $255. I thought it would have late action because it was two people essentially raising the price a couple of days ago and I assumed they would get in a little late battle. Battling days in advance didn't serve them any benefit.
    Mark

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

I agree with Spud on this one I recently picked up two of the new Deluxe Squiers. One in Daphne blue and the other in White Pearl Metallic. I am totally amazed by these guitars. When I first played them they seemed very familiar, especially the feel of the maple board. I pulled out my 50th Ann. Deluxe strat and measured it against the Deluxes using a Caliper. It looks to me as if they took the 50th and used it as a model for the Deluxe. The neck is almost the same profile and is exactly the same thickness and width at all the points I measured. The body is exactly the same thickness in three points I measured. The neck has the same rolled edges and the satin finish on the 50th is a little "creamier". The MIA 50th is an amazing guitar and the SCN pickups with the S1 switch make it a very versatile guitar. The SC101 Duncan Design pickups are very nice and can keep up to the SCNs very nicely.
    For 250 dollars I would not hesitate to buy one. I also have a Squier QMT Deluxe and a Cherryburst Standard and the new deluxes are much nicer.
    If they come out with other colors I will definitely be buying.
    I can truly say that these are the nicest Squiers that have come out of Fender in 20 years. The MIJ Squiers are still the best.

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting information ZMan. Welcome to the forum and I hope you like what you see here. When you have a minute, stop by the The Fret Players section and formally introduce yourself to the gang.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty soon there will probably be a rush on the new Deluxe series Squier Strats.
    Z Man has shown me the photos of his and they are beautiful and without that large headstock. 22 fret necks and Duncan pickups are great too. For the price they'll be hard to beat.

And just when I thought I was over my gas problem. sigh

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

And just when I thought I was over my gas problem. sigh

As if that thought ever crossed you mind.
    Mark

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast