Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Time Machine

Post Thanks / Like

Spud - Here's a place that has some good prices on necks. I'd been thinking of changing out the neck on my Squier Tele, but then decided to just get a G & L Tele with an all-maple neck instead. I know you said you wanted a (22) fret neck, but they have a nice (21) fret tinted one here for $99:

http://www.wdmusic.com/std_fender_st...24283_prd1.htm

And a std. maple (22) fret neck for $99:

http://www.wdmusic.com/fender_strat_...24281_prd1.htm

Either of those necks would look tight on your CSB.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Nelskie. Ya the maple has always been my preference.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nelskie
    I haven't seen the silver-burst finish you'd mentioned, so post some snaps of it when it arrives. BTW - where are you getting it from?
    Spudman - do tell. I'd like to see what these guitars look like.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation The '69's are IN!!

I see that the Strat thread is getting quiet again. Lemme' see what I can do here . . .

My buddy just e-mailed me yesterday to tell me that my *NEW* Custom Shop '69's are at the shop, and are ready to be dropped in!! Since early January, when I put in my order for the p'ups, I've acquired a very tasty cream moto pick-guard, and a new Callaham trem block - both will get installed when the '69's go in. The cream pick guard should look nice with the aged plastic knobs and covers. Dialing in those mods should make that Classic 60's a full-fledged screamer, with buckets o' tone, and whole lotta' 'tude!

As much as I like the tone of the Fender Vintage p'ups that are in there now, I figured that the '69's would be the way to go for that guitar. I mean, a 3TS finish, rosewood fretboard, tinted neck, aged hardare, vintage tuners - and now, Custom Shop p'ups. Boys, I do believe it's floodin' down in Texas.

Even if I ended up getting the jones for vintage-tone, I could always drop those other p'ups in my MIJ Strat. Heck, maybe I'll even do that when I have the others replaced, and have the best of both worlds (hey, that's a great name for a song!)

Still trippin' on the fact that I'll soon be playing through the very same p'ups, wound by the very same person, that Hendrix did. If that ain't totally mojo-riffic, I don't know what is!

5-10-06

Well, they're in. And they're spec-tacular! (Seifeld, anyone?)

So how do they sound? Well, to my ears, they sound exactly how a Strat should sound - chimey highs, fat, tasty mids, and defined lower registers. They aren't overly hot, or overly bright. Just right. The huge difference is at the "2" and "5" positions (bridge / middle & neck) - and I mean like astoundingly HUGE. These p'ups sound good everywhere, really, but in those positions - it's mind-boggling. Total Hendrix / SRV vibe using the neck, and pos. 2 gives you the versatility to move into the Dire Straits and Creedence tone depts. with ease. As well, I've also noticed that the tone / volume controls seem to be provide a more responsive, and noticeable difference in adding textural depth to the tones in all of the positions. The vintage p'ups I had in there before were OK in that respect, but not to the level that the '69's are.

Before I dropped them, I turned them over, and like all of the Fender CS '69 sets, they were signed and dated by Abigail Ybarra. So cool.
    Last edited by Nelskie; May 11th, 2006 at 02:14 PM.

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That's cool Nelskie - sounds mojo-riffic to me!

Just wanted to mention the CS 54s - really nice pickups too, except for the bridge pup is too harsh sounding on my Squier strat, but the neck pickup is to die for.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Do you know if there is any way you could tone that brigde unit down a bit? I mean, for the sake of keeping the p'up set in tact? If not, what are your thoughts about putting a warmer p'up unit in the bridge, ya' know - the best of both worlds? And if you did decided to change it out, what would you consider? A Duncan? Fralin? Muy Grande? There's a lot of options there.

Post Thanks / Like

Me, I'd go with noiseless pickups overall if I did it again, DiMarzio VV 1.1. Only because playing live is a pain with these pickups. Otherwise, why not put in a Fralin?

Is your CS 69 bridge pup too harsh too?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Is your CS 69 bridge pup too harsh too?
    Still haven't made it out that way yet - his shop is in Bismarck, about 2 1/2 hrs. W of Fargo. Right now they're just sitting there . . . waiting. I 'm planning on doing a full run-down on them after they're installed.

I'm just hoping I can make it out of his shop w/o buying a new guitar . . . ! That's dangerous territory for me!
    Last edited by Nelskie; April 7th, 2006 at 05:26 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have my strat wired so the tone knob works on the bridge pup. Calms it down a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

I do a similar modification and wire the second tone knob to control the bridge pickup and leave the first tone to control the neck and middle pickups.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, Spudman, that's what I meant - that is the exact mod I have done to mine.

Post Thanks / Like

ITS called the "blender mod" basically ..1 volume , 1 tone, 1 midrange controll.. tonal charastics can be changed depending on the values of the inductor and the capacitor wired in to the set up ... i use it on one of my strats ..love it ....6s9l
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Marty DiBergi: "This tasteless cover is a good indication of the lack of musical invention within. The musical growth of this band cannot even be charted. They are treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry."
    Nigel Tufnel: That's just nitpicking, isn't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Blender mod, eh? Well, if it can mix a good regular margarita (on the rocks!), then I'll call it a done deal, Senor Stratocaster!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12