Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why?

Thread: Why?

Post Thanks / Like

Question Why?

Question:
    Why do I see so many Gibson headstocks break off
    and not other brands necks ? ? ?
    Agile AL3000 Lefty
    Alvarez RD20L Lefty
    Blueridge BR-70 Lefty
    FenderMIM Strat Lefty
    LTD Viper400 Lefty
    Fender 50th Deluxe Lefty
    Fender MIM Telecaster Lefty
    Line6 Spider lll 75 righty
    VOX AD50VT 212 righty

Post Thanks / Like

Because of the thin amount of wood surrounding the truss rod adjustment nut and area routed out for it. The headstocks are also 3 pieces of mahogany.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson, like Tone says uses mahogany for their necks. Other manufacturers use maple and the cuts are different. The mahogany is more prone to breaking because of how it is cut.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have two Gibsons and both have had headstock repairs.
    Patrick

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Are you talking about breaking due to banging them in to something? I also don't understand what three pieces of mahogany have to do with breaking.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fendermojoman
    Question:
    Why do I see so many Gibson headstocks break off
    and not other brands necks ? ? ?
    I play both, and have never had a problem. How are they "breaking off"?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Are you talking about breaking due to banging them in to something? I also don't understand what three pieces of mahogany have to do with breaking.
    Are not quite a few nice acoustic guitar necks mahogany? Must be the combo of the shape, glueing and wood used as alluded to by Sir Tone.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

pes_laul Guest

If I'm thinking right aint shecters made with mahogany?

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Are not quite a few nice acoustic guitar necks mahogany? Must be the combo of the shape, glueing and wood used as alluded to by Sir Tone.
    The gluing of the wood is what puzzles me, three pieces or two pieces of wood glued together are stronger than a single piece. If it is due thinness where the head meets the neck, that I could understand.

The Gibson heads are so big, maybe you just can't avoid hitting them into something.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

This is what I had run across a couple of days ago.

The way these necks are constructed makes them prone to injury. They are cut from a single piece of mahogany with grain that runs straight through the bulk of the neck. The problem is that the grain does not run the direction of the headstock as well. Mahogany is not particularly strong along the grain and shears more easily than most wood along the grain.

I also did some research and discovered that Gibson headstocks break with little to no encouragement. They're just poorly designed, because they're set at a 17-degree downward angle, which isn't helpful to the wood grain, thus greatly weakening the headstock. They're usually a very easy fix, and they break very cleanly. After first repairs, people usually never have another problem.

This makes sense because the headstock angle is different from the grain direction of the rest of the neck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    This is what I had run across a couple of days ago.

The way these necks are constructed makes them prone to injury. They are cut from a single piece of mahogany with grain that runs straight through the bulk of the neck. The problem is that the grain does not run the direction of the headstock as well. Mahogany is not particularly strong along the grain and shears more easily than most wood along the grain.

I also did some research and discovered that Gibson headstocks break with little to no encouragement. They're just poorly designed, because they're set at a 17-degree downward angle, which isn't helpful to the wood grain, thus greatly weakening the headstock. They're usually a very easy fix, and they break very cleanly. After first repairs, people usually never have another problem.

This makes sense because the headstock angle is different from the grain direction of the rest of the neck.
    Interesting and makes sense. I guess I will use my Ibanez or Squier when I ram the head of my guitar into the amp to impress the wife and dogs.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Interesting and makes sense. I guess I will use my Ibanez or Squier when I ram the head of my guitar into the amp to impress the wife and dogs.
    Smart thinking. A Travis Bean is another good option.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll avoid the problem and just buy a Steinberger. They've already done the work for me.
    Patrick

Post Thanks / Like

Gibson necks are delicate. There isn't a great deal of wood present where the headstock angles down. This is why I'm a fanatical preacher of strap locks - especially for Les Pauls.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Lotsa good info above. Use of mahogany rather than maple (though in fact some oddball LP's from the dreaded Norlin era had maple necks) and the headstock angle are big factors, as well as the way they're constructed.

A lot of modern guitars, especially inexpensive to midpriced ones, get around the headstock angle problem by using a scarf joint. This joins the headstock to the neck down around the 2nd or 3rd fret area, using an angled cut to get more surface area for the join. You can see the scarf joint here quite clearly:

I noticed this type of joint on the back of several of my guitars' necks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Plank_Spanker
    Gibson necks are delicate. There isn't a great deal of wood present where the headstock angles down. This is why I'm a fanatical preacher of strap locks - especially for Les Pauls.
    I totally agree with you Spanky.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

geez.. just like a month ago I almost dropped my bandmate's LP! The strap slipped off but I grabbed it before it hit the floor (you guys remember the Clapton issue on The Band's Last Waltz?) That would be a real disaster! Strap-lock them!