Thread: Mojo Picks

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Mojo Picks

Brian May uses an english sixpence in his recipe for tone, many others use coins, picks made of brass, shell, wood, and just about anything else imaginable. I found a guy on the internet who fashions picks out of the old solid silver U.S. Quarters. He markets them under the name of Mojo picks.
    http://www.mojopicks.cjb.net/
    Basically, the Mojo picks are quarters that have been carefully crafted into a very comfortable shape that really gives a strong unique tone. The later dated coins also have the advantage of having a great gripping surface to limit slippage when sweating in the heat of battle. They are also great gifts for a buddy (or Betty) in giving them one with their own birth year. (and they look very cool...)

They are not for everyone, but a bunch of players in my area are using them and love them. If anyone out there has used them, what do you think?
    Last edited by EscalonJon; October 6th, 2005 at 10:10 PM.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Myles Guest

Not to rain on your parade, but isn't this practice highly illegal? Last time I checked you could get a jail sentence even for destroying money.

Hmm... perhaps thats part of why they are cool!?

Post Thanks / Like

Vitalmyles....

Yeah, and if you really want to be cool (and illegal), light your
    Cohibas with hundred-dollar bills.

You did get me to thinking, and I found this info on the web...
    http://www.fifth-letter.com/strata/i...lany/crime.htm

There must be some sort of a threshold below which they probably wouldn't bother prosecuting, but you never know. It looks like it might be okay as long as the intent is not to defraud. Kind of like putting a Fender decal on a faux guitar as long as you are never going to sell it as the real deal. I feel pretty safe having the picks and the phony-phenders until Fender or the Feds start coming into my house without notice or cause. If that became the case, I may have bigger things to worry about. Your point is well taken. The picks are still cool, though.
    Last edited by EscalonJon; October 7th, 2005 at 03:29 PM.
    GUITARS: Fender Teles and 50s Strat, Squier Jazz Bass & '51, VooDoo clone, Dillion Tele Thinline, G&L Tribute ASAT, Agile Les Paul clones, Rogue 335, Robelli D'Angelico, Danelectro Hodad 12, Larrivee Koa Parlour, Blueridge 00028, Ibanez Hummingbird, Takamine EC132C, PRS McCarty IRW.

AMPLIFICATION: Carvin Bel Air w/ext cab, Behringer ACX1000, Vox Brian May, Fender Bronco tweed, Rogue 30 Bass, Roland Cube 30, modded Epi Valve Junior w/ Scumback 1x10 cab.

Post Thanks / Like

And I thought I was the only nutjob using quarters as picks when in a jam!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix