Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alright, I need a new guitar...but

Post Thanks / Like

Default Alright, I need a new guitar...but

It's not gonna be top notch. I can only spend $200 on a guitar cause I'm spending the rest of my bday money on an amp. Probably a Fender 100W Frontman...

So if any of you have purchased $200 guitars that are actually good, please let me know.

I would like humbuckers for pups, two volume knobs would be nice but they aren't necessary, and no crappy stock pickups (The hardest part!), and it's most likely to be a bolt on neck, which I don't really mind.

Nice looks always puts the cherry on top too.

I've found a couple of good ones that look promising here they are:

If you've played any of these, please give me some feedback!!

Epiphone G-310 SG:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=518280

Dean Z X:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=519812

Dean V X:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=519861

ESP EC-50:
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=516672

I've played all of those and I just don't know what to choose.

I think the Z X and the V X had the best stock pickups closely followed, by the EC-50, but I just don't know. I need the help of fellow shredders!!

Post Thanks / Like

deevo....what are your plans for your new gear....are you going to be playing mainly at home or are you planning on gigging with the equipment.

the reason i am asking is that you mentioned getting the fender 100w frontman amp....that is a lot of watts for playing at home. you might want to consider a lesser wattage amp (you would be surprised at how loud a 5 watt tube or 15 watt ss amp can get) and use the money saved to put into the guitar....

just a thought

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Well I'm actually going to start gigging cause there's this club at school where all these musicians came, and we've formed like 3 or 4 bands and we already have gigs scheduled in January. I honestly was originally going to buy a Fender 72 Tele Deluxe if I had the money, but I need a more powerful amp than my 15 watt Behringer to gig lol. I think I might be able to get a $300 guitar if I'm lucky but if I can I already know what I'm getting.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=511393

Played this at guitar center the other day.... sounds like it should be around $600....

My friend compared it to his PRS that he had brought, and there was only a small difference in the versatility of the pickups, but for half the price of his guitar, I think it's worth it.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Rondo Music.
    The Agile AL2000 is really good.

Also Musician's Friend has a great deal on the Ibanez ARX100CA.

Both within your price range and great sounding and playing guitars. For a little bit more Rondo will put your guitar in a case and ship it that way. Pretty cheap for a good case.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

DUDE!

Thanks those look really sweet.

Man, that AL2000 is definitely a top contender now

Set Neck
    High Quality Humbuckers
    Flame Maple Finish

for $200

I can probably even get better amp than the frontman maybe an awesome TUBE!

THANK YOU SPUDMAN!!!! YOU ROCK!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deevo117
    DUDE!

THANK YOU SPUDMAN!!!! YOU ROCK!
    Used to 'rock'. I'm now so old all I can do is 'roll'. I don't even do the 'and' any more.

That Ibanez is a pretty sweet option too. It's much lighter and the mahogany body design is very vibrant and resonant. If you can find a dealer that has one I suggest you try it out. Otherwise you can pretty much be sure that an LP copy is going to sound like an LP.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Used to 'rock'. I'm now so old all I can do is 'roll'. I don't even do the 'and' any more.

That Ibanez is a pretty sweet option too. It's much lighter and the mahogany body design is very vibrant and resonant. If you can find a dealer that has one I suggest you try it out. Otherwise you can pretty much be sure that an LP copy is going to sound like an LP.

The rock never stops as long as you have the spirit!
    But don't worry, even if what you say is true, I'm gonna make sure your legacy lives on!

I'll try to see if my local guitar shop has that Ibanez it does look familiar but I might be confusing it with a Schecter.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

deevo,

I've heard a lot of good things about Agile, but I think Spud found you a great deal on that Ibanez. Personally if I was in the market for a $200 guitar, I would be placing my order right now. I see everyone else had it for $249 (still a good deal IMHO)

I have the Ibanez ARC300 and love it and I'm willing to bet the
    ARX100CA is a nice guitar. I believe I played it at GS, but I'm not fond of guitars with pointy horns (I guess that's why I never really warmed up to my SG).
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Have you seen the new Xavieres? If the quality is anything like my XV600, they're a lot of guitar for the money.
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

deevo is the one looking for a guitar, but I have a feeling at least one or two more might announce the purchase of a new guitar because of all these recommendations

Ro3b, Nice recommendation!!!
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Since you were looking at an SG style, how 'bout this?

http://www.rondomusic.com/valkyriehc.html
    "Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a
    pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly
    used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--WOW--What a ride!!!"
    -Stuart Wilde-

"If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend
    to view every problem as a nail."
    -Maslow-

"Religion is sitting in a church thinking about fishing.
    Spirituality is fishing and thinking about God."
    -Unknown-

Post Thanks / Like

The Agile Valkyrie is over the price limit, but ain't it cool what you can get for around 2 hundred bucks these days?

The Xaviere is a good deal too.

Post Thanks / Like

I bought my ARX100CA as soon as the price dipped to $199.00 again. It is one of the best solid body guitars I have ever played -- excellent pickups, smooth neck, excellent fret work, and the finish is really a dark red metallic -- very nice. This, in my view, is one of the best deals on the net. :
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Alright I've realized that I'm not getting the frontman because I remember that the frontman amps have horrible distortion.

I'm not going to be able to order my guitar immediately though.

I have to wait a few weeks. I'm getting a different amp and I'm ordering it tomorrow I think.

EDIT:

Alright I My price limit has gone upp!!!

HOORAY. I can go up to $350 for a guitar....

I'm still looking at the Agiles. The AL-3100 (Les Paul spin off) with the P90 and Floating Tremolo has attracted me a lot. That may be the only exception of the price limit.....

Post Thanks / Like

My son has a SG 310 which is prity good value for the $ exllent 1st guitar
    Bass a natural finish Jazz bass with a SX rosewood neck with white block inlay GFS Jazz PUPS Suzuki clasical guitar Behringer BX1800 amp
    Guitar (sons) Epiphone SG310 Epiphone LP junior Takamine 836D Chrous , wah volume , echo , overdrive pedals Ashton 80 watt amp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by deevo117
    Alright I've realized that I'm not getting the frontman because I remember that the frontman amps have horrible distortion.
    I've A/Bd a Frontman 15R with a Mesa Boogie both into a Marshall 1960 4x12 and the Frontman sounded almost as good, seriously. It cranked. The fun thing about that amp, or a lot of amps, is putting pedals in front of it to get your distortions.

If your budget is more spend it on a better amp though. Many around here feel that the amp is the more important part of the tonal equation. Have you checked out any of Roberts Vox clips?

Post Thanks / Like

I've A/Bd a Frontman 15R with a Mesa Boogie both into a Marshall 1960 4x12 and the Frontman sounded almost as good, seriously. It cranked. The fun thing about that amp, or a lot of amps, is putting pedals in front of it to get your distortions.

If your budget is more spend it on a better amp though. Many around here feel that the amp is the more important part of the tonal equation. Have you checked out any of Roberts Vox clips?
    Exactly what Spud said! Go with the better amp. :

In playing through many amps, I discovered the Fender Frontman 212R is an absolute bargain for the tone and volume you get, and you can dress it up with any pedals you like. That amp takes pedals really well, and the new look is all vintage Fender. Avoid the Frontman 212DSP at all costs, though. The modeling in those FM***DSP amps is horrific.

Many Fretters love their Vox AD**VTs, but I owned two and could never get past the brittleness of the tone. Robert (forum boss) has done wonders with his tone through the Vox, but I am convinced that his stellar playing can make a cardboard box and rubber band sound incredible.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

I wasn't in agreement about the amp over the guitar a few weeks ago, but reading the posts and watching some of the clips and going over to Dolphinstreet convinced me these guys are right.

I would focus on the amp and not try to bring up the amount you can spend on the guitar. Based on the suggestions these guys gave you for a guitar, you should do just fine paying $200 to $250.

A couple mentioned that are causing some serious GAS for me:

Xaviere XV-700 @ $189 (insert GAS sound here)

Ibanez ARX100CA @$199 (insert more GAS sound here)

I'm more of a traditional style guitar (you won't find a flying V on my wall), but whatever floats your boat is cool. The point is, I think these guys have given you some great advice. After you do a little suggested research on the amp, you might end up agreeing with them.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I ordered an Ibanez ARX100CA and thought it was a pretty nice guitar, the thing was flawless and the neck played nice. I did end up sending it back thought as I went around to check the tightness of all the screws I found one of the bridge screws stripped in the wood. This is a pretty easy fix but I decided to put a little more money in and get a semi hollow body guitar. I wanted a humbucking guitar but I plan to build a solid body down the road and I will never be able to afford a ES335 so I bought an inexpensive semi hollow body instead.

I would recommend the Ibanez ARX100CA though I would have been happy with it.

M29
    Last edited by M29; December 16th, 2007 at 10:26 AM. Reason: Spelling

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast