Thread: Mrs. Kat wants to learn how to play!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mrs. Kat wants to learn how to play!

I'm excited! Mrs. Kat just came up to me and asked if I could teach her how to play guitar. She's a fairly artistic person, and I think she has a good shot at learning. Once she puts her mind to a project, she tends to stick with it.

She wants to learn George Harrison's solo to "Let it Be." How cool is that?

Any hints for getting her started would be appreciated. I don't want to go overboard too soon with this.

Thanks!
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

Yow!!! Way cool Mr K!

Just really cool.

:
    I pick a moon dog.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

That's GREAT!!!!

I wish I could get my wife or one of the kids interested, but it's not to be

This will make for some good music and good posts
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

That's great Kat, I heard of this neat site called Dolphin street ?

Post Thanks / Like

Go Kat Go... and then it was something about some blue suede shoes but I really dont remember...
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I would start with simple melodies, played in first position, then simple open chords, and some three or four chord songs, (that was very rewarding to learn to strum a song. E, A, D, songs, and D, Em, A, G songs are good starting places for us beginners),then find simple melodies just by ear on the fret board, then turn her loose on Dolphnstreet. That is this beginner's perspective!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

IMHO, from personal experience...

hook her up with a teacher. someone she can yell at other than you.

then, when she has lessons, play the chords to her leads, that will keep her in time.

and most importantly, find songs that touch her heart. that sing to her. y'all play them together, as a treat, at the end of the day. it makes Everything Better.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

one word: metronome.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Start her our slow Kat. Teach her three simple chords and a few songs she can play with them. Avoid trying to tell her how she can play better too much, and let her find her way. She'll fall in love with the instrument in short time.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

pes_laul Guest

Way to go dude : I Teach student 3 bucks a hour (cheap aint it) for money at school and one of the first song I always teach them to play is stone sours "through glass" which is a nice acoustic song. the only downside is that the guitar is tuned Eb Ab Db Gb Bb eb good luck and remember there is no limit

Post Thanks / Like

Kris, I love that song. I've been trying to find decent tabs, but I haven't found anything I'm happy with yet. Any chance you might point me in the right direction?
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

pes_laul Guest

shiner do you get guitar world? because in the issue with satriani and steve via on it they had the tabs to the song. these tabs are kinda correct http://911tabs.com/link/?3801082 try this youtube video http://youtube.com/watch?v=EoimJ3_2Maw hope that helps and good luck: It aint exactly right but it should give you a sort of a idea on how to play it

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the suggestions, all. This is gonna be some kinda fun. I'll keep updating as we go along and let you know how it goes.
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

How about a pink "Hello Kittie" Squier Strat.
    Put some Svarowski christals on the pockguard and she will definitely pick up the guitar everyday ;-)

hey, I am just kidding.

Cool to hear that she wants to learn how to play. I am sure you will enjoy the time you will spend together playing the guitar.

Take it easy my friend

Jimi
    :
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

I like this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Hal-Leonard-Gu...7981240&sr=8-1

It's inexpensive, comes with 3 CDs, & is rewritten with Greg Koch.

It focuses on melody for a long time, but you can get chord-based playing elsewhere. It is mainly written in notation, but starts out simply so you soon become comfortable with it.

I'm partway through the last book (the 3 books are bound together.)

On the other hand, she'll need other help to get quickly to the solos that she wants to play.

I second pie's suggestion of a metronome. I use the drum machine in my RC-2 looper & that makes all the difference.

Here's what I do:

I first listen to the CD to hear how it should sound, then go through the piece in chunks learning which notes to play & deciding how I will finger them (the book tells you in the beginning).

When I'm realitvely comfortable with the first few measures I add another couple focusing my effort on the difficult measures & fluidly flowing from one to the next.

I think about fingering; should I roll the finger? Try to relax the hand & get them d@mned unused fingers relaxed & closer to the fretboard.

When I can do the whole piece reasonably well, I go back over with the drum machine making sure that the notes are played with the correct rhythm. You can play along with the CD if you wish.

This takes some concentration, when I get that down, I speed this up & work on fluidity, tone, & nuance so that it sounds good to me.

I only move on, when I can handle the piece, but I never wait until it's perfect.

When I need a break while working on something new, I play some of the stuff I have already learned trying to smooth it up & have fun.

But she has you to help, so an ideal thing for her would probably be for her to play with you: simple chords while you solo, simple melodies while you play rhythm. Keep it slow, have fun, give plenty of encouragement, & let her lead the way.

Good luck Mr & Mrs K!
    I pick a moon dog.

pes_laul Guest

one thing you gotta know about guitar teaching is just dont bore the crap out of them with scales try to make it fun and they will learn better that way.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. Teach melodies and actual songs that she'll recognize to motivate her to progress effectively.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz