Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Tele string change?

Thread: Tele string change?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Tele string change?

Hi all,
    I bought this a few moths ago and I notice that the B and high E strings are not staying in tune aswell as they used to. I always wipe the fret board after use and the strings look clean. Time to change? Also how do I know what gauge Im using?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ger the man
    Hi all,
    I bought this a few moths ago and I notice that the B and high E strings are not staying in tune aswell as they used to. I always wipe the fret board after use and the strings look clean. Time to change? Also how do I know what gauge Im using?

A few months? Were those strings on the guitar when you bought it? If so, you have no idea how long they were on there. If not, it's still been a few months & it's time for a string change.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes - it came with those strings. Can anyone recommend a set for playing blues?

Post Thanks / Like

A set of 10's is what I'd recommend. Heavy enough for some decent tone but light enough to bend. 11's if you have strong hands and aren't into Albert King!

I like D'Addarios, but most of the major brands are pretty close in quality, in my experience. I've used Ernie Ball's with good results, too.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Ger,

Always change the strings when you get a guitar. You don't know what your guitar sounds like unless you do. Old strings can make any guitar sound lifeless.

I happily use Snake Oil Strings. I use Fast Fret after each use & they sound good for a long time.

Wipe 'em down with lighter fuel if they start to lose tone & they'll be good for quite a while longer.

Others are happy with other brands.

A new set of almost any brand should make a difference in sound. Hopefully, it'll fix your tuning issues as well.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all your help - according to the fender site it came with 9's and I believe you have to change the itonation If your changing gauge?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ger the man
    Thanks for all your help - according to the fender site it came with 9's and I believe you have to change the itonation If your changing gauge?
    Not always true.
    Go to 10's and you'll get a little more out of that guitar, but also pick up a set of 9's in case you can't stand the 10's after 2 months. It's gong to take that long to build strength and really get to know the sound.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard
    Ger,

I happily use Snake Oil Strings. I use Fast Fret after each use & they sound good for a long time.

I have never tried Snake Oil brand.... the 10>48 set sounds like it would be an ideal set for me, a little heavier lower strings than a standard 10 set, but not quite as heavy as 10>52's....

any problems with breakage? which set do you prefer the Nickel or Rock?
    Guitars: A Few
    Amps: A Couple
    Pedals/Effects: Sure

We've done four already, but now we're steady, and then they went one-two-three-four....

Post Thanks / Like

I use DR colored/coated 10s on both my electrics (Fender and Ibanez) Im of the opinion of the fatter the string the fatter the tone.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Also know that all 10s aren't going to feel the same. If you're going to move to 10s, I recommend going w/ Ernie Ball 10s: it's not just the outside diameter of the string, it's also the ratio of nickel to steel and how much of the string is core and how much of the string is that which is wrapped around the core. DR 10s are going to feel a lot stiffer than Ernie Ball 10s because of those variables.

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow String Change....

If you go with D'Addario 10's you most likely won't need to adjust anything.
    Your action may be slightly higher than with the 9's. If you go with 11's, you're definitly going to need a Rod tweak and set-up. I use 11-49's and I had to give the trussrod 1/2 a turn to compensate. They make good for blues though and I use the set with the wound G string. XL 115w's. You might also want to consider flats but you will definitly need adjustments with them! Desicions suck sometimes!
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Telecaster, and play a fair bit of bluesy stuff. At the moment I'm using D'Addario XL110s. They sound and feel nice. I'm thinking about upsizing to XL115s, but that would really require a Truss Rod adjustment, which is a pain in the behind...

Post Thanks / Like

I use Ernies Balls(CLASSIC ALL NICKEL) and SOB strings.

The snakes are freaking awesome 100% mudcat approved:
    "I love being alive and I will be the best man I possibly can. I will take love wherever I find it and offer it to whoever will take it... seek knowledge from those wiser and teach those who wish to learn from me."
    "Develop your talent, man, and leave the world something. Records are really gifts from people. To think that an artist would love you enough to share his music with anyone is a beautiful thing."
    Duane Skydog Allman

You come to a point in your life when you really don't care what people think about you, you just care what you think about yourself." - Evel Knievel