Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
blues jr vs peavey classic 410?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: blues jr vs peavey classic 410?

Post Thanks / Like

Default blues jr vs peavey classic 410?

Any suggestions for a budding blues player? Which would be better and why?

I play mostly at home, and out at jams several times a month.

Thanks in advance,
    Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Amps: Fender Pro Junior w/ Ragin' Cajun speaker, Peavey Delta Blues 115
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1
    Strings: Darco 10's

Post Thanks / Like

They are both good amphs. 15w is surprisingly loud, at a jam you may need an extension cab, or may need to mike the Fender, depending on the volume the other musicians are playing at. The Fender will also be alot easier to lug around.
    The Peavey will have plenty of volume, but it's a bigger, heavier amph.
    If you need more clean headroom, I'd say go w/ the Peavey, but if you want to crank the little Fender it should get a nice, greasy blues sound as it starts to break up.
    The best thing, IMHO, would be if you could play through each one to see how they sound to your ears, and be sure and lift them both and carry them around, see what you'll be lugging around to the jams.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

+1 what oldguy said.

If you want a combo that does have enough swat for a jam and gigging and still has that Fender sound check out the Hot Rod Deluxe. It's 1x12 and 40 watts vs the 15 in the Blues Jr. So you'll have more clean headroom if you need it.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Just to chime in with the good advice already dispensed here:

The Blues Junior is a great sounding little amp--perfect for home playing--but might indeed be too small for jamming, if the other guys like it loud. There is a whole lot of room between a Peavey Classic 50/410 and the Blues Junior, though. In addition to the 40W Hot Rod Deluxe that Spuds mentioned, you might also want to look at something like a Peavey Classic 30 or Delta Blues (both 30W). Good middle ground--great tube tone, plenty loud, and a lot easier on the back than that 410 would be!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for all the advice, folks. I'm going to visit my local GC and try out a few of these and see how they sound.

Interestingly, HRD's on ebay seem to sell for less than (or about the same as) Blues Jr's. The HRD's list for $200 more than the BJ's. Wonder what's up with that?

Bob
    Guitars: Jimmie Vaughan Strat, 2001 Affinity Squier Strat with 70's Japanese pickups, Affinity Squier Tele
    Pedals: Ibanez TS9DX w/ Humphrey mod, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Dano PB&J Delay, Arion Tubulator w/Indyguitarist mod, Boss CS-3, Dano Fish and Chips EQ, Boss CH-1, Dano TunaMelt Tremolo, Boss RV-3, Boss DS-1

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't priced HRD's on eBay, but I did some research on the Blues Junior before buying one there. The standard model BJr with no additional bells & whistles, used and in good to excellent condition, should typically sell for somewhere in the range of $275 - $350. Additional features (e.g. foot pedal or amp cover) will raise the price, as will uncommonly good ("mint") condition. Also, the blond tolex version sells for a bit more than the black one, since they're much less common (though functionally identical to the black).

What really bumps up the price are things like preinstalled "BillM" or other performance-enhancement modifications, or the amp being the more expensive "lacquered Tweed NOS" version. The latter sells new for $530 vs. $450 for the standard BJr here in the US, and comes with an upgraded Jensen speaker. That is the only functional difference between the two; otherwise, they differ only in the fancier finish on the Tweed NOS version. These sell on eBay for a typical price premium of $100 - $150, which is W-A-A-A-Y overpriced, IMO. You can buy the upgraded Jensen speaker for about $62 + shipping, so the rest of the premium is for the fancy lacquered tweed tolex! And there's a "reliced" tweed NOS version that sells for even more....

The prices I saw on the "pre-modded" Blues Juniors were ridiculously high, as well. I would recommend against these amps, not only because of the large price premium, but also because you generally have no idea how competently such mods were done. It's easy to do a "hack job", if you don't know what you're doing. If you want a modded BJr and don't have the knowledge & ability to do the work yourself (Mandatory Tube Amp Warning: You can KILL yourself with the high DC voltages inside a tube amp, even when they're unplugged! ), buy a stock amp and bring it to a professional.

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

OK, how about a blues jr vs a pro jr? Is it worth the extra $$ to get the BJ?

Bear in mind I'm looking for something for practice and then local blues jams -- maximum volume is not that important. But good fender blues tone, clean and dirty, is essential.

Thanks again!
    Bob

Post Thanks / Like

Get the Blues Jr. and join our club.....
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Get the Blues Jr. and join our club.....
    Ummm... How much are the dues, and are the Tuesday meetings still in DVM's treehouse?

Ted, if I join... can we carpool?
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

Dues are...bring me some beer...that's it. And yes we're still meeting on Tuesdays at the treehouse.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I think we should move the meetings to Tone's place until spring. There's about two feet of snow on the treehouse roof here in upstate NY. And we sure as **** ain't having meetings in Ontario during January!!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Algonquin
    Ted, if I join... can we carpool?
    No problem buddy..

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Vood, are there gurlz aloud in the tree fort or is there a sign that says no gurlz aloud ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Which one is Tone and which is Vood?

http://www.geocities.com/hoffler_b/gross.html

P.S. Calvin is my favorite halloween costume of all time, with my wife dressed up as Hobbes, us chasing each other around the party. Ah, the good old days!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Which one is Tone and which is Vood?

http://www.geocities.com/hoffler_b/gross.html

P.S. Calvin is my favorite halloween costume of all time, with my wife dressed up as Hobbes, us chasing each other around the party. Ah, the good old days!
    I don't care, as long as we both get to wear those cool hats!

So you & your wife sometimes dress up as Calvin and Susie?? I think this definitely falls into the "more information than I needed" category....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    Hey Vood, are there gurlz aloud in the tree fort or is there a sign that says no gurlz aloud ?
    Well, we might let Guitar Gal and Child Bride in, as long as they bring their own guitars. Especially if they let me play 'em for awhile....

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by duhvoodooman
    I don't care, as long as we both get to wear those cool hats!

So you & your wife sometimes dress up as Calvin and Susie?? I think this definitely falls into the "more information than I needed" category....

She dresses as Hobbes, thank you very much, being a bit of a tiger. Rrrrr.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Ooops, I read that wrong.

She dresses up as Hobbes?? OMG, that's even kinkier!! :

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

You guys are a crackup. I dig your new avatar Voodoo!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast