Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Sad....and its funny too!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sad....and its funny too!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sad....and its funny too!

I think - er - I dunno....OK..

I have my two main axes...a strat and a LP special 2...both modded to the hilt. Now for the dumb part. The more I really dig in at the studio spending loads and loads of time writing, playing, listening, playing more...picking up both guitars..playing the same riffs on them playing more....listening...

I think you get the point.

I have came to the conclusion that I'm a Gibson kind of Guy...not fender and to you people you might be like : good job ya goob WTH are you getting at. I really really like my strat but the more I play it then play me shorter scale Epi..the more I don't want to play it. WHAT DO I DO? Do I just suck it up, keep playing the Strat OR sell it or save up for a Gibson or other brand guitar? I know ultimately its my decision but I've grown accustomed to all y'all opinions cause I respect you all as peers and friends! I dunno maybe I need some and : ..... that being said I'm stuck and I don't know what to do
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a Gibson guy, myself - with three Strats in the house. Hang on to your Strat. Sometimes, only a Strat is good enough......................
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Yeah, play what you like but hang on to it. That super strat you made was at one point was your one guitar quiver, so I am sure it still has a place in your arsenal.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

If it's paid for keep it. Eventually you'll want it and it will be there for you. IF it's gone then your are S.O.L.
    What if some local producer says "I love the way you play and I'm doing an album with Michael Bolton. Will come over and play some Knopfleresque tones on 8 of the tracks? What are you gonna do?

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the Strat and then get a Tele too! IMO the Tele is a perfect companion to a Les Paul in terms of weight, sound and the added versatility of playing "Fender" tones when you really want them. You can also play some rockin' stuff on a Tele too. It might be that you prefer the sound of the Gibsons over the Fenders cause if you really loved the Strat sound you'd never have written this thread. But then your Strat really isn't a "Strat" anymore with your mods. Yup you really don't like the "Fender" sound do you.
    Last edited by Tone2TheBone; December 19th, 2007 at 09:35 AM.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

I'm not necessarily a Gibson guy, but at the same time, of the "big 3" guitar icons (Strat, Tele, LP), I've fallen out of love with Strats, and much prefer an LP or Tele type guitar.

That being said, having one of a given type is not necessarily mutually exclusive of having others. Remember, you'll hopefully have a long guitar-playing life ahead of you, and unless funds are and remain really tight, there's no reason you can't keep an inexpensive Strat around while saving up for a Gibson LP or whatever else may float your boat, or sell the Strat for the time being and pick up another cheapie later.

That's sorta what I've done. Even though I'm not a "Strat guy," still there are some things that a Strat does that other guitars don't (particularly the "quack" voicings of the 2 and 4 pup positions), and I like to have one to have something with a hippy stick to do some mild trem work also.

So what I do is keep an inexpensive Strat on hand (most recently, first a MIM Fender, followed by a Peavey USA Predator after I sold the Fender), but I also have plenty of other guitars in the LP and Tele camps. If some great deal that I need to raise funds for comes along, I can always sell the inexpensive Strat and get another one later.

Post Thanks / Like

good advice....keep it and save up. Thats what I thought too BUUUUUUT I have gas bad for a LP or a new Melody Maker (with two single coils) and funds are MORE than tight!
    Guitars: Epiphone Special 2 LP modded with a SD Pearly Gates and a SD Alnico 2 flat strat pro.300K pots.Tone pros Brass Stop tailpiece.Dunlop frets dressed to .031,LSR roller nut, Spezel custom stainless steel locking tuners. Satin finished neck.Fender MIM 50's strat modded with LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree,sperzel satin chrome locking tuners, graph tech saddles,300K push pull volume for "neck on pup" and 200K tone pots.PUPS:Neck seymore duncan QP single coil for strat. Middle: Seymour Duncan JB Jr with coil tap (so actually a 9 way tone selection). Bridge: Same as neck.Amps/Cabs.2 Epi Valve Jr's, Peavey Delta Blues 1x15. Randall RG200es,Guitar research 4x8 cab loaded W/celestion super 8's and rewired for two-2x8 operation.Marshall 4x12 slant lead cab,Johnson cab 1x12.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    But then your Strat really isn't a "Strat" anymore with your mods. Yup you really don't like the "Fender" sound do you.
    Oh I love the fender sound...this was my only axe for a while and thats why I had to make it versatile...then I made the LP Special 2 what it is.

Its not the strat sound I don't like....since I have been playing every day now for 6-8 hours and switching between axes I don't like the scale length and feel, but I love the sound. Since I have the Neck on switch and single coils on the end I can still get the quack...the bucker in the middle is nice and mellow, think neck pup with just a little more brite on a Paul. The single coils are nice and hot but since the pole pieces are huge the sound is nice and fat also.

So its the scale length, string tension, string spacing and overall feel. The strat sound is killer....I have it there. Your standard "quack", a neck and a bridge single coil. I put the Seymour Duncan JB mini hum in the middle cause I hardly ever use the middle position single coil <---reminds me of the Pole we did on what position in a 5 way we use so I got versatile sounds and a great axe that has never broken a string (LSR roller nut, graph tech string tree and saddles.) all in all I have sunk a crap load of money in it, but the more I play it the less I like it. I dunno guys...but I agree that I should keep it (after talking to you guys) so thats what I will do and save up for another axe.

Post Thanks / Like

Hang on to the Strat.

At some point down the road after not having played it for awhile, you'll re-discover it. And you'll be amazed at the tones you hear that you don't remember hearing before. It's funny how that happens...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Bloozcat
    Hang on to the Strat.

At some point down the road after not having played it for awhile, you'll re-discover it. And you'll be amazed at the tones you hear that you don't remember hearing before. It's funny how that happens...
    +1 Exactly. You'll also think 'man this plays great. What was I thinking?'

Post Thanks / Like

hang on to the strat if you must....but i would trade it for a nice tele... :

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I'm a fender guy myself, but at the same time, Gibson makes good stuff too, why should you have to decide, besides, maybe you should sell you're les paul and get maybe an agile or something a little more substantial.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

LG - I know how awesome the LP scale feels. It was my first electric and I was so comfortable with it. I hated Strats in high school I hated them. I couldn't play them and "had no use for them" simply because I was so used to my Les Paul it was so easy to play. Of course now it's a different story....but if this is how you feel then by all means sell man sell. Get another sweet LP and Merry Christmas dude.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Keep the Strat. You may like playing the LP/Gibson short-scale better, but tonally, the two guitars are S-O-O-O different. There are going to be times when you need that Strat tone, for one reason or another.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

yeah....Im keeping it BUT im saving up for a Melody maker.

And trust me....the LP special 2 has a ton of substance

The strat is a great guitar for certain things.... And so is the LP....I guess Im gonna have to pony up and just love the strat tones and deal with the scale length and feel.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagrangeCalvert
    the LP special 2 has a ton of substance
    my lp special is one of my favs!!

a melody maker would be a nice addition...

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LagrangeCalvert
    The strat is a great guitar for certain things.... And so is the LP....I guess Im gonna have to pony up and just love the strat tones and deal with the scale length and feel.
    Try some Ernie Ball Slinky strings and it will change the feel a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Better yet put some DR Tite Fits on that Strat. Size 10s feel like 9s and 9s feel like 8s. They're looser feeling but sound damn good I use them on my A440 tuned guitars. That will make the Strat feel better.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    LG - I know how awesome the LP scale feels. It was my first electric and I was so comfortable with it. I hated Strats in high school I hated them. I couldn't play them and "had no use for them" simply because I was so used to my Les Paul it was so easy to play. . . .

Interesting. This newb started with a strat, and that feels right to me. I have played around on Spudman's Epi LP, which is a nice guitar, and it felt weird at first. Still, I think you should keep the strat, just because coming back to it might make you approach playing differently at some point. Some guy I jammed with once tried out my strat, stating that he was an LP scale (I think) humbucker guy and did not really favor strats. He got into it on mine though, and after ripping for a while, handed it back over and gave me a positive nod, saying that it made him approach his playing differently. He plays harder stuff that falls in the categories of metal, alternative, punk and related, and is a good player.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast