Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Jensen C10Q in an AD30VT?

Thread: Jensen C10Q in an AD30VT?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Jensen C10Q in an AD30VT?

I was perusing the South Valley Vintage Amps site per DVM's recommendation here. I was wondering how a Jensen C10Q might do in my AD30VT. My only gripe with my Vox is the flabby low end. Would this speaker solve that issue? I had looked at a Celestion G10, but those are about $80 while the Jensen can be had for $35. Since the Jensen is a "Fendery" sort of speaker, will this cause issues with the high gain models?
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I may have answered my own question. A bit of Googling showed that most folks who went to the Jensen ended up switching again to something else. I also emailed the folks at the link above and they steered me away from the Jensen too. It looks like the Celestion is still the way to go. I've got a little bit of Christmas money I could probably do something with. Then maybe I could try my stock Vox speaker in my little Peavey and see if I can breathe some life into that.

We shall see . . .
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

For the high gain response I'd definately go with a Celestion. You may not get the lower frequency reinforcement as good as that.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I put the Celestion G 12 Century Neo speakers in my AD50VT 212 and it was worth every penny. The speakers will likely outlast the amp, and I can always sell them and get some money back on the investment, or use them in another amp down the road.

You might as well go with the Celestion...in the end it will pay off with better tone, and it's a speaker that you can always sell or use again if the amp dies on you.
    Guitars: 2003 and 2004 American series strats, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Strat, Squier Deluxe Strat.

Amps: Line 6 Spider IV 120, Vox AD50VT 212, and Peavey Transtube Bandit 112.

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey.

Post Thanks / Like

I think a Jensen C10 would be about the last thing I'd put into an AD30VT. The Jensens are really known for their strong midrange and bright, sparkly highs--quintessentially Fenderish sounding speakers. For a modeling amp like the AD30VT, you really want a fairly neutral sounding speaker that will let the character of the amp models come through without adding a lot of their own sound.

Probably the most popular upgrade for the AD30VT is the Celestion G10 Vintage, though there are many other good choices. I've read very positive comments about a couple of the Eminence models, too. The best price I've seen on a G10 Vintage is $80 HERE. Eminence has a very cool tone comparison page for its various speaker models, but you'll have to look up which are the 10" models, because the page with the clips doesn't show that.
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!