Thread: 12 string suggestions

Post Thanks / Like

Default 12 string suggestions

My brother is thinking of hunting for a new 12-string - thought I'd ask if anyone has any favorites/suggestions.

Post Thanks / Like

Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, T - as it happens, he's looking to replace a Yamaha! He's looked at a Taylor that he liked, but I thought someone might know of something great that we might not think to check out.

Post Thanks / Like

we have 2. a J28S12DL and a D46S12, both Washies.

the J28 came from Rocket. her name is Storm. she is a sweet boomer, and she is usually the last guitar i play at night. i usually end off my night's practicing with a little America or Eagles, and she just sings to me.

the D46, though, she's a special girl, too. she has a different voice, more... ok, say like this. sometimes, you can say a lot more by singing than shouting. she sings. heck, i wish i'd played longer, i feel like a first time wine taster. she's a beautiful, beautiful guitar as well.

my suggestion is to go play some... test drive.
    2006 Washburn WD55SW Augusta, 2006 Washburn J28S12DL, Washburn EA20SDL,
    2008 American Standard Fender Telecaster
    2008 Rondo Limited Edition SST, G&L ASAT Semi-Hollow, Gibson LP Ultra

Post Thanks / Like

Well, we hit 5 music stores and a Guild F512 was the standout by far - it's a jumbo and just had the richest sound among those he played, with nice string spacing for finger-style playing - a couple of Taylors and a Martin were the closest match at that level - but he also played some $500 - $600 range Washburns, Fenders and a Seagull. Last stop is to the Music Emporium in Lexington, MA, which is all top-of-the-line and hand-mades, just as a final check. I on the other hand was wowed by a Larrivee, which I will adress in another post....

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Samick

Samick makes one I want to get for 250. Not electric. Just a plain dreadnought. Sounds superior to guitars costing far more.

Check it out if you can, I bet you'll be impressed. Looks great too. Has a fabulous neck.
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)

pes_laul Guest

make sure to check out a shecter ACS-elite 12 My dad owns one of those and its one of the nicest Ive played and they go for about 400 bucks

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just gonna throw this out here for fun...If $$ wasn't an issue...
    One of the best guitars I've ever played in my life was a Gibson-335 12.
    One of the coolest instruments ever made. Beautiful tone and sustain forever.
    I practiced and gigged with one for a long time, before I had to give it back to my buddy