Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Hi, new guy from Wisconsin
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hi, new guy from Wisconsin

Post Thanks / Like

Default Hi, new guy from Wisconsin

Hi all,
    JJ Gross from SE Wisc.
    I'm a webmaster/working musician. Been doing the former for about 10 years and the later for ... uh ... a while (since ~1974). I've played pretty much everything gear-wise on the planet, mostly a Fender guy these days. On the side, I also build and repair amps & effects (from scratch) and in that field am completely self-taught. I plan on eventually replacing almost everything I gig with, with my own built stuff.

Cheers,
    - JJ

Dirty Ernie Band
    My Momma always said "Stultus est sicut stultus facit".
    She was funny like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool JJ, we love DIY gear folx here!

But what is totally cool about you showing up is that this

She was funny like that.

might be the first latin slug on the Fret Net.

Translation puhleassee .

--------- Whoa! Just checked out the Dirty Ernie Website ----

Cool sh!t! Nice logo & name too.

But why no clips (& no CD's for sale) on your site?

Can you lay a track or two on us?

You can't have dirty blues like that, mention a mandolin, & leave us hanging!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome, JJ. I build my own amps, too. Haven't really done much in the FX department, though.

Enjoy your stay here.

tung

Quote Originally Posted by tot_Ou_tard

She was funny like that.

Translation puhleassee .
    Literally: "A simpleton is as a simpleton does" :
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tunghaichuan
    Literally: "A simpleton is as a simpleton does" :
    Thanks tung!
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks tung!
    Three years of Latin in high school, yes I was a masochist :

BTW, the tagline for The Onion is "tu stultus es," literally: "you are a simpleton" which is the only reason I looked up "stultus."

tung
    I was just a regular guy. My only super power was being invisible to girls.
    - Dave Lizewski, Kick-A$$

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome aboard JJ.
    Guitars and other stringed instruments: Washburn D10S, Washburn EA52SWCE, Washburn Cumberland J28SDL, Washburn D46S12, D'Aquisto Centura, Rover RM-50B Mando

Amps and Cabs: Behringer AT108, Firefly Tube Amph, Blackheart Little Giant BH5H, Shiner's Custom Cab v.1.0

". . . because without beer, things do not seem to go as well . . ." Brother Epp, Capuchin Monastery, Munjor, Kansas 1902

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

JJ, welcome to thefret, it looks like you can contribute a lot and maybe add some additional musical guidance to a site already rich in musical content. Us beginners welcome an opportunity to learn from your level of talent.

Checked out your site - that is a very impressive background you and the other members have there.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

welcome JJ, looking forward to hearing more.

Post Thanks / Like

welcome jj....this is a great forum....i think you will like it here....

ww :

note: this welcome copyrighted 2007...no unauthorized use of this welcome will be tolerated
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice to see you here JJ :

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Welcome JJ, we are happy to have you join in! Gotta love a white strat. Looking forward to learn more about you.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks everyone, makes me feel right at home!

:

Cool JJ, we love DIY gear folx here!

But what is totally cool about you showing up is that this

She was funny like that.

Translation puhleassee .

--------- Whoa! Just checked out the Dirty Ernie Website ----

Cool sh!t! Nice logo & name too.

But why no clips (& no CD's for sale) on your site?

Can you lay a track or two on us?

You can't have dirty blues like that, mention a mandolin, & leave us hanging!
    At the moment, we don't have any clips on the website because every time we have someone recording us live, they get such an unbalanced mix that I just won't use it. We sell the band with a 6 year old quick & dirty studio demo done in a friend's basement. Seems to work, but we've come a long way material wise since we formed the band in 2001.

We hope to have a CD ready for mass consumption (if all goes well) by spring/summer this year, we're taking all of January off to record it. We're also gearing up to make the move from a mostly cover band to one doing a lot more originals, mostly mine. I've done stuff in the past but it only went regional. Who knows what the new stuff will do, distribution wise? It's always a crap shoot.

If you want to hear some extremely badly mixed videos of cover tunes taken by a friend with a pocket camera, just search Youtube for "Dirty Ernie Band". Something about using a small camera mic (that mostly picks up midrange) parked RIGHT in front of my amp in between the mains seems to get an awful lot of geetar in that there mix! No problem hearing ME, that's for sure! There are 7 songs there. A couple of them don't suck as much as they could!

The tag line is a very sloppy translation of Forest Gump's "Stupid is as Stupid does".

Cheers,
    - JJ
    She was funny like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks JJ, I'll check out your band on the ol' tube.

So what's the story behind the burning monkey head?
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome from the other side of the state, NE Wisconsin. By the by, that picture of you from 1983 is a riot. Of course, pictures of me from that era would be funny too, but not because I was in a metal band.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by marnold
    Welcome from the other side of the state, NE Wisconsin. By the by, that picture of you from 1983 is a riot. Of course, pictures of me from that era would be funny too, but not because I was in a metal band.
    80s metal and modern metal are two very different animals.
    I'm pretty sure if I went to audition for a touring metal band today looking like that I'd get my *** kicked 3 feet inside the door.

I never played much north of the FRV, but my folks live in Crandon so I get in the area for family stuff once in a while. We might be playing in Bessemer (ski lodge) in February though and do hit Wausau/Tomahawk once in a while.

That monkey is just something I found surfing the web. It originally had "Bad monkey! No Banana!" under it but when scaled down to fit this board's 80x80 size requirement I cut that off rather than shrink it so much it couldn't be read.

Cheers!
    She was funny like that.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JJ Gross

That monkey is just something I found surfing the web. It originally had "Bad monkey! No Banana!" under it but when scaled down to fit this board's 80x80 size requirement I cut that off rather than shrink it so much it couldn't be read.

Cheers!
    Many of us have Bad Monkeys...I can't vouch for the presence or absence of bananas however.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome JJ! Glad to have you here.
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I brought bananas. Who needs one?

Hi JJ
    Welcome. I toured Wisconsin for a year one weekend in the 80's. Yes, I said it that way because it seemed like a long time. People party hard in Wisconsin. I was happy to leave so I could think straight again and start my detox. While on the way out I about split my britches when I saw a sign for a 'Ski Area'. I looked around but all I saw was this little hump out on the plain.

Shout out to all the hotties in Fond du Lac.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Welcome! Glad to have you here! Me, I'm a late to guitar Dad player having a lot of fun and learning a lot from here.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast