Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much are they worth???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy
    I know this has been brought up before.....but it never ceases to amaze me!
    I love Tele's....... but some folks seem to have more money than sense...or am I missing something here (besides 5 or 10 grand to spend to be a gear corksniffer)?
    You and me both Bro! The price of some of these "Custom, new/vintage, tribute, repo" guitars with "artificial wear and tear" blows me away! Kinda silly in fact! "Instant collector's items" as it were....

Was it Barnum who said "There's one born every minute..." ?!?

Dennis

BTW, I think it's sad that kids these days won't find "used" Fender guitars at realistic prices hanging in music stores and pawnshops like 30 or 40 years ago. Nowadays, people who don't even play grab them up for "$peculation" purposes....Luckily, the Squires are decent alternatives if not as "cool".....(Altho' even the Squires from the 80's are "collector guitars" now : )
    Last edited by Bucks Owin; January 22nd, 2008 at 03:16 PM.

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I never came across a close up of EVH's Frankenstein until I was paging through the April issue of Guitar Player tonight.

Again, why would anyone pay the money they are asking for that replica???????????

If you knew nothing about EVH and nothing about his guitar what attraction would there be? Let's say you stopped at a garage sale and a guitar sat at the sale that looked like that or any conceivable color with a price tag of say $30, I might consider it for the neck.

To repeat the often written statement here - I just don't get it.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    I never came across a close up of EVH's Frankenstein until I was paging through the April issue of Guitar Player tonight.

Again, why would anyone pay the money they are asking for that replica???????????

If you knew nothing about EVH and nothing about his guitar what attraction would there be? Let's say you stopped at a garage sale and a guitar sat at the sale that looked like that or any conceivable color with a price tag of say $30, I might consider it for the neck.

To repeat the often written statement here - I just don't get it.
    While that guitar is playable, it's not meant to be played. It's designed to either go into a vault, or hang from a wall in a glass case. All of these big $$$$$ "relic'ed" (I HATE that term!) pieces are aimed squarely at the collectors.

I'll make my own relics the old school way - lots of years, lots of gigs, and lots of notes.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

My guitar tech, was so excited to show me his new custom shop Strat. It looked very similar to the Jeff Beck Tele. It was almost the same color with a mint guard and everything was of course aged and it had about 50% of it's paint scratched off. He even had one of the tone pots missing! just a hole there. It had an old baseball bat neck and he was so proud of it. It cost him about 3000 bucks and was a team built.
    Had it been built by a single tech it was double that. I just could not understand? On all the lastest DVDs I see John Mayer playing a beat up old Strat as well. Funny though I saw Jeff Beck on the Crossroads DVD playing a pristine Strat!
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12