Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Can Someone Explain in Layman's Terms

Thread: Can Someone Explain in Layman's Terms

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Can Someone Explain in Layman's Terms

I noticed that a lot of people have ADxxVT's and they still by pedals for distortion and an assortment of other things. Even if someone didn't have an ADxxVT, wouldn't it be cheaper to buy the amp versus all of the pedals?

Now for those people that have tube amps and prefer tube amps, I understand that argument, but outside of that, what's the reason for all of the pedals?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

thats pretty valid Strum...My reasoning is mainly for versatility. My ad30vt is my amp for practice at home but i travel all over the state and i usually use my buddy's Fender deluxe, and the fender, being a one channel amp (essentially) is not very versatile. so i stick some pedals in front. also sometimes i am forced to go straight through the PA. in which case I, once again, whip out the trusty ol' board. A very valid argument however.
    "What about making a TACO smoothie?"

2006 Fender Highway One Stratocaster
    2001 Fender Standard Stratocaster, heavily modded with hand wound, custom designed pickups, custom pickguard, phase and kill switches and mid boost (i.e. my baby)
    2005 Schecter C-1 Classic
    2004 Rogue RA 100-D acoustic
    2005 Vox AD-30, modded with Celestion G 10 and custom Birch housing
    Seymour Duncan Twin Tube Classic
    Dunlop Crybaby
    Boss DD-5 pedal
    Ibanez TS9DX (analog man mod)
    Visual Sound Visual Volume Pedal
    George L's cables
    Pedaltrain pedalboard

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

pytolk, do you ever attach pedals to your ad30vt?
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Now for those people that have tube amps and prefer tube amps, I understand that argument, but outside of that, what's the reason for all of the pedals?
    1)more tones/sounds
    2-10) G.A.S.

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Justaguyin_nc
    1)more tones/sounds
    If that's the case, what pedals are people plugging in to their adxxvt? I asked a similar question early on, but it went unanswered or had some half hearted response.

I'm not challenging anyone, I'm just trying to get a better understanding. Think of me as the dumb guy from Washburn, Mississippi.
    Mark

Post Thanks / Like

My Behringer is there to push some of the amp models (particularly the UK70s) to "11". I've got an EX-7 because it provides all kinds of sounds that the AD30VT doesn't.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    If that's the case, what pedals are people plugging in to their adxxvt? I asked a similar question early on, but it went unanswered or had some half hearted response.
    I use my pedals mostly with my tube amps, but I have the amps all hooked up to the same pedal chain through an A/B-Y switch, so I use 'em with the Vox from time to time, though some a lot more than others. Here are the chief uses/reasons:

• Distortion or overdrive on the AD30VT's "clean" models, which is most of the left side of the model dial. For instance, if I want an overdriven Fender Twin sound, it's the Black 2x12 together with one of my several OD/distro stompers. As you know, the Vox doesn't have any "onboard" distortion effects, just what you get from the Gain control for the various models. This is, by far, the most common reason I use pedals with the AD30VT.
    • Wah-wah pedal. The onboard autowah is very limiting.
    • Combinations of effects I can't get from the Vox's 11 effects settings. For example, if I want to run a phaser with a reverb or slapback echo, the AD30VT won't let me do that.

Hope that helps, Strum....

P.S. Justa's reason's #2 - #10 are directly applicable, too!
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Voodoo pretty much covered the reasons already.

I have an AD30VT and a nice tube amp. I've been playing without any pedals until a couple of weeks ago when I got a Fulltone Fulldrive2; I have a couple of pedals but they have not out of the drawer for years. The reason I got the FD2 is to get an overdrive sound out of my tube amp (which you stated as a reason right at the beginning); this 20-watt tube amp won't distort until insanely loud for me.

I also found a use for the pedal with the AD30. The situation is when I'm at my jam and I want to switch between clean and overdrive during the song, the pedal will let me do that. I can also create a couple of amp settings and store them on the AD30 and switch between them with a footswitch, but then I'm limited to just those 2 sounds. With the pedal it does not matter which sound I'm using I can switch from the current sound to a more overdriven sound.