Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
What is the best distortion and/or overdrive pedal?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the best distortion and/or overdrive pedal?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default What is the best distortion and/or overdrive pedal?

Let's hear what you say! There are many options of course....

I'll start by saying Maxon Sonic Distortion SD-9. A very smooth and fat sounding distortion pedal.

For a super cheap, good sounding pedal, I say Danelectro FAB Distortion.

The Proco Rat is also great, but I'm not quite sure which model is which anymore - Turbo Rat, Rat 2, Rat this, Rat that. Maybe someone can clarify this.

For overdrive - the already legendary Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, by our very own DuhVoodooMan himself! (Ask him nicely and send him lots of gifts if you expect him to make you one...)

What rocks your world in the distortion pedal department?
    Last edited by Robert; December 27th, 2007 at 03:20 PM.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Just recently I read few good reviews on Nobels ODR-1. I've never tested one but I'm just throwing this in here. Perhaps some of the fretters own(ed) or tested one.

It's obviously an overdrive, so technically not a distortion pedal.

Here's the link to manifacturer.

http://www.nobels.com/en/index.htm

No afiliations etc. etc. etc....
    Guitars: '05 MIA Fender Strat HSS, '04 MIA Fender Strat SSS, '03 Burns Steer, '83 Hondo LP copy (project)

Amps: Fender Blues Jr., Line 6 Spider II 112

Pedals: Boss BD-2, Boss CS-3, Boss DS-1, Ibanez TS9DX, Ibanez AW7, Ibanez FZ7, DigiTech Bad Monkey, BYOC Lazy Sprocket (in progress - almost there), Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

HAO Rust Driver, hands down!

Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Let's talk about overdrive pedals in a different thread. Keep the topic on distortion pedals only, if possible.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Distortion.....

The Electro Harmonics Double Muff !
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    The Proco Rat is also great, but I'm not quite sure which model is which anymore - Turbo Rat, Rat 2, Rat this, Rat that. Maybe someone can clarify this.

What rocks your world in the distortion pedal department?
    Welp..to make it easy... get the RAT that has them all!! Im really thinking about this one.. nice features!
    http://www.ratdistortion.com/deucetonerat.htm

Im still so new to all these sounds for the last few years. The one Distortion that I keep finding more sounds in though , is The Vintage Rat..

Not Original rat.. but original circuit..does that make sense? It can be a muff,fuzz,zipper,fly etc etc... and can clean up to overdrive..
    In fact.. a much more expensive B.K.Butler I had, to see how good it was has been e-bayed because the RAT is so close at times..
    and the B.K although very warm in overdrive was to fuzzy "to me" on distortion and was so HUGE!! (about 4 pedals in board size)
    The foot print of the RAT though is the size of two pedals.. it's only fault..

I recently got a pedal with a RAT clone..well its nice.. but NOT! this same pedal though has a TS9 clone in it..
    I never had or tried the real thing here either..
    but another nice sounding Distortion/overdrive it seems.. I am hoping to match The RAT to it.

Yet, each has its own feel.. but if I can only have one..
    The Vintage RAT...loves tubes..

Maybe it has to do with which you play with the most..
    and figure out how to use it..
    as they all seem adjustable to some point..

my 2 cents..
    and about all my opinion is worth..
    REALLY! I know this..
    But I have fun...
    Try a Vintage or Original RAT sometime..
    and give it some time and adjustments..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Let's talk about overdrive pedals in a different thread. Keep the topic on distortion pedals only, if possible.
    I thought that is a distortion pedal

Semantics...
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Ahh, good point. I guess the difference is not so clear. Let's change it then to distortion AND overdrive pedals! :

From http://www.bossus.com/bugonline/how_...art=great_tone :

What’s the difference between an overdrive and a distortion?

Generally, an overdrive is designed to work and sound like an old tube amp turned up loud. A good overdrive can produce the same overtones and harmonics that an overdriven tube amp produces, hence the name Overdrive. BOSS started the overdrive revolution with the legendary and very collectible OD-1.

A distortion usually goes beyond the amount of gain and harmonic crunching typical of an overdrive. They tend to get more distorted, are usually (but not always) louder than typical overdrives, and often have multiple gain stages for abnormal amounts of sustain. The BOSS MT-2, probably the best selling distortion pedal ever, is a good example of a distortion pedal with those features.

Post Thanks / Like

Ibanez SM-10 Super Metal -- I bought one in 1986, and to this day and several pedals later, its distortion is unmatched to my ears.
    Guitars: Ibanez SCA220BP, Modded Squier Bullet Strat, Ibanez ARX100CA

Amps:
    G-DEC 30

Videos/messing around with gear:
    http://www.youtube.com/wwwdwhite
    My Music:
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=498962

Post Thanks / Like

Older RATs with the LM308 chip do it for me. Everything from boost to fuzz that cleans up nicely when you back off.

Here's what Robert Keeley says about the difference between old and new RAT's. I can hear the difference and I'm not that picky usually.

ATTENTION OLD RAT FANS!!!! Hey, they don't make them like they use to. Heck, they don't make like they did last year, so if you are hoping our Rat mods will make your pedal sound like the one you remember 10, 15 years ago.... might not be the thing to hope for! These pedals have changed so much over time, and only the Name Badge is the same. They act very differently. So, if you had favorite settings, etc., buy an old one and check it out. Some folks say ours nail it perfectly, others hear some nuances in the old one they are just addicted to.
    Last edited by markb; December 27th, 2007 at 03:57 PM. Reason: typo
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

Best distortion hands down for me is the Radial Tonebone Hot British. Nothing else even comes close, but it has a tube in it.

Next in line would have to be a Rat, and I wish I had one of the old ones because they do sound different.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Normally I just take what the amp gives me, perhaps with some OD to push it over the edge (yes, I like my Behringer pseudo-Screamer a lot). I have a lot of fun when I use the Muff model on my EX-7. The Muff is by no means a be all/end all. It's more one of those "if you need this particular sound, it's the only way to go" pedals.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Guys
    Well I don't have much experience with pedals but I have found the Eric Clapton Crossroads pedal is pretty versatile with the sounds you can get out of it. Like blues, jazz, rock, hard rock to maybe alittle metal distortion.

Cheers
    GREENMACHINE
    Music Teach's You Everything School Can't!

"Guitars sing through the heart and soul alone but need you to put the feeling and passion into the music." Cavell Clearwater (GREENMACHINE)

GUITARS: Sunburst Fender VG Strat Maple Neck, Gibson Custom B.B. King Lucille, Zebra Wood Ibanez EW Series Acoustic.

PEDALS: Eric Clapton Crossroads Effects Pedal, Behringer Hellbabe Wah, Boss ME-70

AMP: Randall RG200G

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've said it a dozen times, Marshall JH-1 Jackhammer in OD mode is the best JCM-800 in a box I ever heard. But all these are largely matters of taste.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I've got one...

Washburn LSESLD Soloist Distortion (a rebranded Artec SESLD). It has a good bit of gain and I think it sound great... and it's real cheap to boot (if you can find 'em still), got mine from Target when they were clearing them out for under $30. There is a store near that has them for $20, I was thinking about picking up a 2nd one for backup.

Cheers!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

North of the Equator: I am a Southerner, Southern Ontario!
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    Best distortion hands down for me is the Radial Tonebone Hot British. Nothing else even comes close, but it has a tube in it.

Next in line would have to be a Rat, and I wish I had one of the old ones because they do sound different.
    +1 on the Radial tone bone. Tweakability and it's own 12AX7
    The Blues is alright!

Guitars: 1968 Gibson SG, 2005 Gibson SG Standard, 2006 Gibson LP Classic Gold top, 2004 Epiphone Elitist LP Custom, 1996 Gibson Les Paul Standard. 2001 Epiphone Sheraton II, 2007 Epiphone G400.
    Fender Strats: 1996 Fender 68 Reissue CIJ, 2008 Squier CV 50s, 2009 Squier CV 50s Tele Butterescotch Blonde

Amps: Blues Junior Special edition Jensen in Brown Tolex with Wheat front, 65 Deluxe Reverb reissue,1970 Sonax reverb by Traynor, Avatar Custom 2/12 Cabinet with Eminence Legend V1216 speakers,
    2008 DSL100 Marshall Amp , Fender Super Champ XD,Fender Vibro Champ XD

Effects and Pedals: Fulltone Fulldrive II, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Mini Deja Vibe, Fulltone Fat Boost, Dunlop Crybaby Wah, Boss DS1, Boss DD20 Giga Delay, Boss TU2 tuner, Boss BD2, Ibanez TS9 Tube screamer, Zoom 505. Radial tonebone hot british.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DeanEVO_Dude
    I've got one...

Washburn LSESLD Soloist Distortion (a rebranded Artec SESLD). It has a good bit of gain and I think it sound great... and it's real cheap to boot (if you can find 'em still), got mine from Target when they were clearing them out for under $30. There is a store near that has them for $20, I was thinking about picking up a 2nd one for backup.

Cheers!
    +1. I like that pedal a great deal. Does a nice cranked plexi sound.

Post Thanks / Like

I think that it depends on what type of sound you want from your overdrive. I don't think that there is one pedal that does it all, they all excell at different things. I have the Fulltone OCD and now the Hermida Zendrive. Both of these pedals are amazing at what they do, but they are totally different.

The OCD is great for nice tube-like distortion. It works really well for big power chords and fat sounding lead tones.

The Zendrive is more for mild distortion and bluesy sort of tones, where you need a fat sustaining sound that is very sensitive to your dynamics, but not so grainy or saturated. It's kind of like the Boss Blues Driver on steroids. It does the Larry Carlton/Robben Ford thing really well. It a fantastic pedal.

--Jim
    Electrics: Hamer Newport, Fender Clapton Strat, Ibanez AF86, Line6 Variax 700
    Acoustic Guitars: Taylor 514CE, Martin J40-M
    Dobro: Regal "Black Lightning Dobro"
    Mandolin: Morgan Monroe Mandolin
    Amps: Egnater Rebel 30, Vox AD120VTX, Roland Cube 60
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandid=301718

Post Thanks / Like

Is the DOD Grunge a distortion pedal?
    _____

GUITARS - Carvin DC127M - Carvin Bolt kit
    AMPS - Bogner Alchemist 112 - Blackheart Handsome Devil half stack
    FXs - Roger Linn Adrenalinn III - Boss GT-10
    _____