Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What is the best distortion and/or overdrive pedal?

Post Thanks / Like

An Epiphone Wilshire (reproduction) running through an EH Big Muff Pi into a Fender Amp with a good wack of reverb makes me smile every time.

Post Thanks / Like

I really really...really like my Marshall Guv'nor Plus pedal I use it for everything on the Blues Jr. It makes any amp sound like a Marshall stack. Fat fat fat...but a tight fat. It sounds like my Jubilee.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Tone, how does the Guv'nor compare to the SD-9 copy you have?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey Tone, I also love the Guvnor+, I've had it twice...it's VERY nearly the same sound as the Jackhammer, well basically sounds the same, but the Jack has a little less of the 'tubescreamer' dark fuzz backing and is more pure OD, yet a tad more like a JCM800. I need those pure-ringing chords without any tubescreamer-type overtones. But they're very close. It was hard to decide - hence I sold and later re-acquired the plus again - but in the end the Jack just has so large balls and clarity it's been my fave for several years now.
    Dee

"When life's a biatch, be a horny dog"

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new noise reduction pedal by Rocktron. Should it go in a specfic place in my chain???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kiteman
    Is the DOD Grunge a distortion pedal?
    I believe so, it sounds a lot like the Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion in the boosted mode.

Post Thanks / Like

Rob - The SD-9 clone (Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic) sounds like an actual distortion generator is how I would describe it. Turn the knobs and it produces various amounts of distortion. You can shape the output tone sound with the single tone knob but the distortion remains the same. Good for what it does and when used sparingly as an overdrive OR when used maxed out for some righteous sounding fuzz. It also works best I think when your amph is breaking up already...then it sounds really nice.

The Guv'nor Plus sounds like a Marshall amph in a pedal simply put. Take a Marshall stack...either half stack or full...and put all that mojo and sound into a metal box. That's it. It acts like an amph. It has so much variation in tone because of the bass, treble, mid and super bottom bass boost knobs. It's a great overdrive amph I mean pedal and an awesome Marshall stack replica that will make any amph sound like a Marshall.

Deeaa - I have to agree with you on the Jackhammer. I played one once and it slays. All out saturation. Much better sounding pedal than a Metal Zone.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

I got a Jackhammer a few months ago and I absolutely love it! Just like everyone says, fat and sweet!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrick
    I pulled the trigger yesterday on a new noise reduction pedal by Rocktron. Should it go in a specfic place in my chain???
    Normally the noise reduction pedal goes first if you don't use a compressor or after that if you do. Sometimes, people use two of them, one at the beginning and one at the very end of the chain. For the most part, it does depend on what noise you are trying to rid your signal chain of... 60hz hum from the guitar, hiss from a compressor/sustainor, overall noise from an excess of distortion/overdrive pedals.
    I hope I have helped a little. Cheers!
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Deeaa - I have to agree with you on the Jackhammer. I played one once and it slays. All out saturation. Much better sounding pedal than a Metal Zone.
    Oh, yeah...the drive mode is pretty much Metallica. But I don't actually use that mode much, just the OD side, and even there only about 2/5ths drive...perfect slight OD then with so much clarity it's uncanny! (But if you do need the metal tones, it's nice to have the parametric mid band.) Anyway, I suspect many looking for an OD pedal end up not testing the OD side much, and take it for too 'metal' a pedal for them - so I urge people to concentrate on trying the OD side of it. Just like Guvnor, only some more clarity.

All in all, I've really liked every Marshall pedal I tried so far. I also have the ED-1 compressor, and I really like it for not being the normal 'squeeze' box but can be adjusted to only compress highs or lows and it rather boosts than restricts. Excellent pedal. And now I've been looking into getting the delay of the series, I read some reviews and it seems like a real nice box too. Plus they are far from the most expensive and yet not many a pedal is so sturdy in construction. They don't seem to ever be the traditional approach & sound, they always have something else to them, like not just a tubescreamer in Guvnor but added a marvellous EQ system, or not just compressor, but a multiband compressor, etc, etc...you may not get that familiar effect right off the spot, but something a little different.
    Dee

Amps: Marshall JVM 410H w/ Plexi Cap mod, Choke Mod & Negative Feedback Removal mod, 4x12", Behringer GMX110, Amplitube 3/StealthPedal

Half a dozen custom built/bastardized guitars all with EMG's, mostly 85's, Ibanez Artwood acoustic & Yamaha SGR bass, Epiphone Prophecy SG, Vox Wah, Pitchblack tuner plus assorted pedals, rack gear etc. for home studio use.

Post Thanks / Like

It's interesting to me how nobody ever recommends the regular old tube screamer in threads like this. It's the platonic ideal of overdrive, really. Nice and creamy tones with a good healthy mid hump so you can cut through. What's not to love?
    "When I play, I express my feelings very fast." -Yomo Toro

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ro3b
    It's interesting to me how nobody ever recommends the regular old tube screamer in threads like this. It's the platonic ideal of overdrive, really. Nice and creamy tones with a good healthy mid hump so you can cut through. What's not to love?
    I think that the reason is two-fold:
    1. They are just too darned expensive for "vintage" ones, and the new ones are kinda cheap (though, not any cheaper feeling than any of the Behringer pedals). Even at $40 for a TS-10, it just doesn't seem like a big draw.
    2. Kinda like Pink Floyd - "Another Brick in the Wall, Part X", It has just kinda played itself out. Many, many, many recorded guitars, played through Fender, Marshall, and VOX amps with a TS of some flavor pushing the front end of the amp into glorous, creamy, saturated overdrive.
    Remember, these are only my opinions, so...

I have toyed with the idea of getting one of the TS-10s and doing the 808 mod on it for myself, I gave one I modded to a friend of mine for Christmass one year, but I just never seem to get around to buying one. Oh, well, I will probably decied to do it when it is too late and they are all gone and discontinued. LOL

Anyway, cheers all.
    "...and I am outta here!"
    Scott

Guitars:
    Dean EVO Exotic Burl, EVO Special, Vendetta 1000 FR, Stagg Les Paul copy, Squier Standard Telecaster, Squier MIK Stratocaster
    Amps:
    Fender Princeton 65 (solid state), Vox AD15VT, Peavey Windsor Studio, Crate Vintage Club 50 2x12
    Pedals:
    DOD FX40B (x2), FX50, FX52, FX55, FX65, FX67, FX80
    Washburn LSESLD, LSBOD
    BBE Free Fuzz
    Behringer EM300, VP1, PH9
    Dunlop GCB-95
    ProCo Rat II "The Rat"
    DigiTech Bad Monkey, RP90
    Rockman Soloist
    and many, many, many more!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My favorite distortion pedals

Through the years I have owned many distortion and/or overdrive pedals. I have my favorites for different styles and different set ups. I will start with my overall favorite and most recent.

-Marshall Guv'Nor 2 plus-Overall the best sounding and feeling distortion pedal I have ever owned,by far. With all the EQ control on this I can shape any tone I need or want and can match it to work with anything I have tried to play it through. It has a good range of sounds from vintage to modern as long as you are looking for a convincing Marshall tone. I agree with earlier posters who said this is a marshall amp in a little metal case. It truly is. It sounds great but I also like the feel. It is very dynamic and is sensative to picking nuance. I was considering the Marshall Bluesbreaker 2 pedal(which is also great)but I am glad I got the Gov'Nor. It has a greater range and more gain when I need it.

-Boss Blues Driver-My long time"stand by"pedal for great blues tone. I keep this one on hand for when I want a more Fendery style tone for blues or classic rock. This one is best played through a small or medium sized tube amp. It is a fairly transparent pedal and is better at enhancing or adding to tone rather than totally creating a tone. I like to use it in situations where I am getting part of the overdrive from the amp and part from the pedal. It has a very creamy sound and is very dynamic and pick sensitive. I got it when I was playing through a Fender Blues Junior. I was replacing an Ibanez TS7 tube screamer that I didn't like.

-Danelectro Fab Distortion-I bought this days before getting the Guv'Nor 2. I needed a cheap temporary pedal with more gain than the Boss while I searched for a Marshall pedal at the right price. Didn't know how long it would be until I landed a Guv and didn't want to spend much $. I heard good things about the Fab and figured $15 wasn't much to loose in a gamble. I was totally surprised how good this cheap plastic pedal sounded. It's actually a well built little thing and has great tone. It screams through a tube amp and is fairly quiet and non-tone robbing. To my ears it's a tube screamer type tone that offers a little more edge and a bit more gain. I have owned a range of real tube screamers and find this Fab to be better than the lower end and mid model screamers. I think it is the best "bang for the buck"pedal on the market.

I have a Tech 21 Tri AC pedal I am totally impressed with for Marshall and tweed sounds as well. Since it is technically a modeling pedal I will save that for a future thread on that catagory. There are tons of great pedals on the market these days depending on what sound you want and how much you have to spend. IMO there is also alot of junk and overpriced crap with big names on them.
    LeadedEL84

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Leaded you must have similar tone tastes as I agree on all counts except never tried the fab. Had all the others and they're all great. I also assume u like el84amps as I do too :-)
    Dee

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I keep playing it, and keep finding more amazing tones. . . . . The ZYS Mark II!! I know it has been mentioned, but I have to throw it out there again. Just so good. Has that nice Tubescreamery hump if you want, but is so adjustable and is so much more.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I keep playing it, and keep finding more amazing tones. . . . . The ZYS Mark II!! I know it has been mentioned, but I have to throw it out there again. Just so good. Has that nice Tubescreamery hump if you want, but is so adjustable and is so much more.
    I agree with my version of the OD2 which is kind of a poor man's ZYS. Actually, I find myself liking the sound of the clean MOSFET boost best with the distortion on my amph. Not sure why, but I like it
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dano

Quote Originally Posted by deeaa
    Leaded you must have similar tone tastes as I agree on all counts except never tried the fab. Had all the others and they're all great. I also assume u like el84amps as I do too :-)
    Yes, I am crazy about EL84 amps. No matter if the amp is a Marshall,Vox,Fender,Bogner,etc..I usually like thieir 15-30-40 watt EL84 models the best. I like other amps too but I prefer the EL84s w/1x12 or 2x12

I clicked on your "posted images"and looked at some of your guitars. Didn't see any amps but it looks like we do have similar tastes. Check out my pics if you get a chance. Most of my good equipment is posted.

So as not to hi-jack the thread too much I will bring it back to dist.pedals. The Danelectro Fab Dist. doesn't match up to most of the high end pedals but it is great for an inexpensive alternative to the mid priced stuff. It sounds really good for a classic/hard rock crunch and has great harmonics for leads. I would highly rec.it for a beginner or anyone who needs a decent dist.but has little money to spend. It especially sounds good with humbuckers.
    LeadedEL84

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12