Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did your guitar playing improve in 2007?

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How did your guitar playing improve in 2007?

Learned anything new? Got some new chops?

Let's see, what did I learn.... hmm.... thinking.... thinking harder.... hmm, nothing is happening....

I did transcribe some signature licks from some famous players. Do I still remember them? Probably not.

Well, at least I had a lot of FUN playing guitar !
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I think my playing got better this year, learned lots of new songs, change my pickups to make my MIM Strat sound better while keeping its Strat sound.

finally getting to record my music to my computer was major.

all in all, 2007 was good to me musically.
    Ron Paul is like Kryptonite to Tyranny

Guitars:
    MIM Fender Stratocaster, Ibanez AS73, Fender F210, Martin Backpaker Steel-String

Amps:
    Behringer V-Tone 2x10 60W, Marshall G10 MkII, Danelectro E-Studio Honeytone.

Pedals:
    Danelectro Corned Beef reverb, Johnson flanger, DOD FX25 envelope filter, Behringer Hellbabe wah, Digitech Bad Monkey

Post Thanks / Like

Well, having not played for ages, and buying a new guitar back in March... I'd have to say I've improved quite a bit. I usually have a guitar with me while I surf the net, and I will usually be mucking around while watching the Leafs.

I'm probably back to the level I was 20 years ago... not great, but can occasionally impress myself.
    My 'now' teenage daughter is tougher to impress than my 'soon to be' 3 year old son is!

I've had such a good time this year playing the guitar, that I went out yesterday and picked up a new toy!

All in all, it's been a good year.
    Gearlist:
    Electric: Ibanez 'AS103', Fender Dlx Nash Pwr Tele, Fender Squier '62 JV Strat, Squier '51, Squier 60's Classic Vibe Strat, Epi Elite LP Studio, Hagstrom Swede Acoustic: Larrivee LV-03RE, A&L AMI, Yamaha FG340-T Bass: Yamaha BB 450 Amps: Roland JC-120, JC-50, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Champ XD Pedals: Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Danelectro Cool Cat Drive, Transparent Overdrive, Digitech Digiverb, Bad Monkey, Ibanez TS-9, Boss AC-2, CE-5, CS-2, DD-3, DF-2, DS-1, FV-100, GE-7, OC-2, PSM-5, SD-1, TU-2, DVM~BYOC 'Lush Puppy' Chorus

Post Thanks / Like

This past year I started recording my playing which has been a tremendous step towards my overall progress. I also have become more comfortable playing in improv settings with others with whom I was previously intimidated trading solos with.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Learned anything new? Got some new chops?

Let's see, what did I learn.... hmm.... thinking.... thinking harder.... hmm, nothing is happening....

I did transcribe some signature licks from some famous players. Do I still remember them? Probably not.

Well, at least I had a lot of FUN playing guitar !
    And THAT is the most important part.
    I learned some new chops over at Dolphinstreet, and that helped get me around the fretboard a bit more. The audio clips and videos I made let me see/hear some of my shortcomings, but also kept me inspired, know some things I need to work on now...:
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm.. I am still way behind from what "I Thought" it would take to play.. way behind!!

But, I can play normal open chords without looking at the darn fretboard anymore almost like second nature... Barr chords are getting easier...
    Although timing is still lacking.. I can fall into some simple songs and "hear" what key "they" are playing in sometimes..
    I still got the eagerness to play.. and more often than not...

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I really only learned one song this year....lips of an angel acoustic....but my strumming patterns have picked up alot....in 2008 I am going to take this more seriously and possibly take some lessons.

I wrote out the first lesson for my step daughter this morning after letting her just strum away since Christmas morning. I started her off with a diagram to learn the string names, explained open notes and frets, then tabbed out "Mary Had A Little Lamb" for her to practice....I learned that tune this morning as well as found some chords that I can play to accompany her as she learns the picking section.

I have a very muchly renewed interest in learning to play since I found the fret.....at the other place I was at....there was just too damn much politics and drama....as a matter of fact I stopped by there this morning and see that the drama has amped up yet again.

2008 will be my year musically starting with a new guitar purchase in the next few weeks.
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm about on the same level with Justaguyin.

Someone pushed me to learn to play without constantly looking at the fretboard and I thought that it wasn't going to make that much of a difference - I was wrong. It makes a BIG difference.

I just started learning some barre chords after several misques it's starting to come together.

I learned "hey, I can do this" and damn I am enjoying the trip.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Starting a new band and sliding into the first banana spot really forced me to improve my game - and I did by leaps and bounds. 2007 has been the best year for growth as a player that I've had in a long time.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Hello,

I learned quite a bit this year. Some cool double stop techniques. Learned to work over the upper pentatonic area from Roberts vids along with other techniques from Roberts videos, I am still working on phrasing though.
    I think the thing that boosted me the most this year is spending more time on those first two or three strings with the old rock and roll standard licks. This led me into arpeggios and raking which I am still working on. Over all a good year for learning guitar.
    One thing I am trying to do now is... I don't know about you but when I pick up the guitar I always start the same thing every time. I always stum an open A and mess around from there. Right now I am trying to do some raking in different keys when I first pic up the guitar. When I do this I find I move in different directions more often and keep from getting stagnant. It is kind of like setting in a different seat at church every week

Other than Roberts lessons, I have found Greg Koch's DVD's to be some of the best lessons around and there are quite a few of Robert's lessons covered on these as well so Robert really fortified this before I even tried Greg's DVD's. Greg is very thorough and his humor and style is very enjoyable, I got a lot out of his Lynard Skynard and Blues DVD's. I have no affiliation with Greg Koch.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Where might we find these lessons from Robert that you speak of?
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

dolphinstreet.com
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Since I started about halfway through 2006, I learned a lot in '07. More open chords, some barre chords, several songs and a bunch of parts of others, played out with a band a coupla times, learned some licks and some pentatonic soloing/noodling techniques. Started to learn a little about theory. Learned a lot, but have a lot to learn, about my new gear. A lot of new gear in '07. . . . And I had a lot of fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

My post is fairly identical to sunvalleylaw's post. Actually it sounds like we had almost exactly the same kind of musical year. Only that I also play the saxophone I couldnt just learn that on my own so I had to have lessons. But w/ the guitar I learned that pert much all on my own. I know I couldnt have done that without fantastic websites. Like cyberfret.com I pert much learned all the basics from there.

Post Thanks / Like

Ummm, I've got a whammy bar now?

Unfortunately 2007 wasn't a good year for progress for me.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I got some moderately good tunes this year, including sweet child o' mine, number of the beast, and sunshine of your love. all by ear, which shows I've greatly improved my ear tabbing abilities, I'm also making a couple songs with my band, but I still can't write a good solo to save my life, so I still have ways to go before I start working odd time signatures into my suff.

on bass I've also improved speed greatly, and learned slap, all by myself!!
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

We've been playing live quite a bit but practicing less. Even so, we have evolved from a 4 pc to a 3 pc group so as the sole melodic/lead instrument I've had to step up. By just letting it all hang out, having fun and not worrying about what I'm doing I have "discovered" a few new tricks (quite by accident). Playing live so much, my timing and the nuance of my playing has improved.

I took my first lessson EVER a few weeks back and that was a lot of fun. Problem is my guitar teacher's band (WYATT) is working on a new album and heading to Nashville to do some showcases there. I probably won't get many lessons in 08

Noodled out some cool new chords on the acoustic (sus4, sus9 type stuff in new and various positions on the neck) that have greatly expanded my understanding of a song and added to the sonic complexity and feel.

I'm continuing to learn what type of sound I'm chasing and how to build that. Modelling processors have been a large part of that equation since I don't have a ton of amps, guitars or effects.

Still lots to learn, but that's all the fun. Well, almost as much fun as playing live

Trev
    Electrics: Hagstrom Ultra Swede (Gold Eagle Burst) Gretsch 5120 Electromatic (Orange) Custom Nashville Blackout Telecaster (Black, Stat mid/neck p'ups; Lil Puncher (Modern Vintage) bridge p'up; Wilkinson Compensated Bridge w/ 3 brass saddles, Warmoth Vintage Modern Birdseye Maple Neck) Fender MIM Stratocaster (Blue Agave, Rosewood Fretboard, Fender Tex-Mex p'ups; GFS Trem/Block Kit) Highland Spitfire (semi-hollow, flame maple top w/ bubinga inlay)
    Acoustics:Washburn D10CEQSB, Yamaha FG160E
    Bass: Westone Spectrum ST, Warwick Rockbass Corvette Basic Active
    Amps: Vox NT15H/V112NT Night Train, Peavey Bandit 112, Hartke HyDrive 210C Bass Amp, Vox DA5

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    and learned slap, all by myself!!
    We need a smilie of Pie slapping himself... Or not.

I managed to have a couple theory type revelations kind of bonk me on the head, basic stuff but it had never really clicked before.
    My playing has improved, I am more relaxed while playing.
    My improvising has improved, where I could not a year and a half ago, now at least I can rip myself off :
    I had not touched guitar for 25 years or so, took lessons for 6 years into my teens. Last year was spent re-familiarizing myself, this year was catch up and pass where I left off.
    I find I enjoy it much more now after realizing that there is no rush to learn it all, that I never will learn it all, and that's ok.
    If I can play the music I like and it sounds good to me, then I'm probably heading in the right direction.

Sorry for the length..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by muskratguitarer
    My post is fairly identical to sunvalleylaw's post. Actually it sounds like we had almost exactly the same kind of musical year. Only that I also play the saxophone I couldnt just learn that on my own so I had to have lessons.
    I had lessons also, along with all the great help here.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast