Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best strings for the Strat?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Best strings for the Strat?

I know this is a loaded question, but which brand/gauge of strings do you find best suits the Strat?

For me, Elixir .010 Nanowebs are the way to go. Yes they are more expensive than your usual set of strings, but they sound, last, and feel much better than any other string I've tried. These strings resist rust and keep their bright tone much longer than regular strings IMHO.

People recommended D'Addarios, so I gave them a try as a good low cost string. 1 gig, 2 broken strings in 2 consecutive songs later, I'm back to Elixir!

I just don't seem to have any luck with other brands.

So how about you?
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Post Thanks / Like

What... none of you have opinions on strings?
    I need some input... I'm tired of spending $10 a pack.

If I could find a cheap & reliable alternative, I'm all ears!
    "It's funny the way most people love the dead. Once you are dead, you are made for life." - Jimi Hendrix

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Hmm, you're gonna hate this... but my recommendation is D'Addario! I love them. Another brand I've used a lot is GHS Boomers, works fine.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

I use Giannini or NIG .010...probably you've never heard about them

Post Thanks / Like

I used to use Dean Markley Blue Steels and Ernie Ball Slinkys... Then I went to D'addarios in .010... My experience was the opposite of yours... Haven't broken a string yet, and they tend to last a while as well...
    Guitars:
    Fender 2006 MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS in 3TS
    Ibanez RG 570 with a bridge Invader
    ESP M II Deluxe with a Tune-o-Matic bridge
    Eleanor, the magical, mystical Road Worn wonder Tele
    Blackstar HT Club 40

Post Thanks / Like

I'm pretty hard on guitars when playing live. I tend to use the tremolo a bit and also use plenty of pinched harmonics and tapping in our 80s covers. Maybe I'll give the old D' another try. I might have just got a bad batch.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Robert. I only use D'Addario 10s! Actually I never tried anything else. But I am waiting to hear about those acoustic Elixirs as time passes on.
    Last edited by Tim; December 26th, 2005 at 11:07 AM.
    Guitars:

Electric: Washburn HB-30, Squier Tele Custom Deluxe, Jay Turser Strat.
    Acoustic: Seagull S6.

AMPs: VOX AD30VT, Peavey Envoy 110.

Modelers: V-AMP 2, Digitech RP-100A.

Pedals: Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble, Digitech Bad Monkey, Ibanez DE7 Delay/Echo, DOD VFX40B 7-Band Graphic EQ, Ibanez CS-5 Super Chorus.

Post Thanks / Like

I vote for Elixir, they keep up their great tone for a LONG time!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tremoloman
    I know this is a loaded question, but which brand/gauge of strings do you find best suits the Strat?
    Does a Fender Telecaster count? I use Fender Super 250s in light gauge on my Tele, and d'addarios EXL120 (light gauge) on my Yamaha Pacifica and my Dean.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Amp: Vox Valvetronix AD50VT, Fame GX60R

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Sure... I really should have asked this as a general question. I installed D's on my MIM Standard last night. They rused after one night of heavy use. I'm still sticking with Elixirs, even if they cost a fortune. The only time I ever need to replace them is when a string breaks, which can be a very long time...

Post Thanks / Like

Sure... I really should have asked this as a general question. I installed D's on my MIM Standard last night. They rused after one night of heavy use. I'm still sticking with Elixirs, even if they cost a fortune. The only time I ever need to replace them is when a string breaks, which can be a very long time...
    Does "rused" mean they oxidized (i'm not familiar with the word rused, sorry).

Hm, I don't have problems with Oxidation on my d'Addarions, but I have this problem with the Fender Super 250s. But: I like the sound when new...

But I never used Elixir, so maybe i give them a try.
    Greetings

Christian

Guitars: Fender Telecaster Standard, Squier Classic Vibe 50's Stratocaster, Yamaha Pacifica 412V, Dean Vendetta, J&D LS-1, Collins Stage Western

Pedals: DIY Box of Rock Clone, DIY Linear Power Boster, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Regenerator, Digitech Bad Monkey, Harley Benton OD-100, Harley Benton DD-2, Behringer Hellbabe HB01 Wah, Boss DS-1, Boss TU-2, Boss DD-7, EXH Small Clone

Post Thanks / Like

Oops... that was a typo. I meant to say, "rusted".

Just so you all know, I've got CTS (carpel tunnel syndrome) so it hurts for me to type. I do make grammatical errors now and then, so please bear with me. :P

Post Thanks / Like

Oops... that was a typo. I meant to say, "rusted".
    Ahhh, so easy, and i was thinking of buying e new english dictionary
    Greetings

Christian

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Strings

I have been using D' Addario XL 9 - 42's for a while. They are very bright and last longer than most others. I have never broken a string. That said, I very seldom break strings anyway. I have a MIJ 1986 '57 reissue with Graphtech stringsaver saddles and CS 69 pickups - very nice.

Armac

Post Thanks / Like

This is gonna break the chain (hey, isn't that a Dokken song), but I have been using bulk string sets from Musicians Friend for around 20-22 years and have maybe broken 5 strings in that whole time. They come in straight packs of 12 each guage with a moisture absorbing packet in each poly bag. Nickel wound and very consistent wrapping. The price is around $2.30 per set. It is their Rogue brand which I think is made by Martin. I'm not sure on that but I'm real happy with them.

I was going through 2-4 sets of strings per week while on the road and when I found these because of the price I could stop digging in dumpsters for food. Heck, I could even afford a beer when I wasn't playing.

I've been real happy with the 10-46 set. To order them as a complete set you have to know a special code that they don't have in their catalog but they do have it in their computer system. If anyone wants it just let me know.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Man, I hear ya' on dishing out deneros for strings. I "only" have (6) guitars, and between all of them, it seems like I'm re-stringing one every few days. I'm a fairly "aggressive" player, so it probably is partially my own fault. I used to use Ernie Ball Regular Slinkys, and I'd always be busting the A or G string on those. I switched to D'Addario XL's, and they performed much better than the EB's. I've heard a lot of players mention the MF brand of strings, and that they were pretty durable, and sounded decent. I like using new/er strings when I play live, so if I could save a few $$ here and there, it would be of great benefit. I may just tap you later for that "secret" code.

Post Thanks / Like

Snake Oil Brand. The absolute best.
    GUITARS
    '05 Fender MIM Standard Telecaster, '05 Stellar Mercury 01 (LP copy), '05 SX Jazz/P-bass clone, '05 Artisan lap slide, '85 Fender MIJ Stratocaster, '68 Gibson Melody Maker, '06 Peavey JF-1

AMPS
    Tech 21 Trademark 10, SWR LA-10, Roland Cube 60 (soon!)

EFFECTS
    Budda Bud-Wah, Pedalworx HellBaby, Danelectro Dan-Echo, Danelectro Tuna Melt, Crybaby volume pedal,
    Bayou, AXL & Monster cables, Snake Oil Brand strings

Post Thanks / Like

I've used GHS Boomers Custom Lights (.009-.046). No particular reason other than I liked Boomers best when I played bass.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I don't need no instructions to know how to rock!"--Carl Brutananadilewski

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougb415
    Snake Oil Brand. The absolute best.
    Man the gear page SOB thread has popped up here.

I ordered a coupla' jus fer the hell of it. I'm playing EBs 9s & 10s now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast