Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Set neck vs. bolt-on: preference?

Thread: Set neck vs. bolt-on: preference?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Set neck vs. bolt-on: preference?

Hey guys. We've done threads on fretboard preference (maple vs. rosewood), but I didn't see anything about Set neck vs. Bolt-on.

Here are my thoughts. Please share yours.

For me, it's just personal preference and feel; my choice really isn't influenced so much by style or type of music I'm playing.

Generally, I like a chunkier neck, and bolt-ons can sometimes get almost too thin for me. Although, I find the Telecaster neck just right in a bolt-on style. I was blown away by the shape and satin-smooth finish on that neck. My Tele and LP get equal use, I love both necks!

What say you?

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not fussy, I have 3 bolt on and 1 set, all different makes and models. I don't even know what the characteristic dimensions of them are.

Post Thanks / Like

I have batches of both. For Gibson-style guitars I prefer them to have setnecks, for Fender-style guitars I prefer them to have bolt-ons. But that's mainly based on the fact that a lot of bolt-on copies of setnecks were lower-end guitars with crappy quality.

A well-made guitar of either type is a bit different than one of the other type, but both are good.

Post Thanks / Like

My Fender is a set-neck actually. I like it a lot because the improvement in sustain is very noticeable. Of course if the neck goes bad then I'm basically SOL, but that's not a big issue. There usually isn't any correlation between neck joint and neck thickness. My set neck is quite thin--especially for a Fender.It's in Ibanez territory with a 15.75" radius.

In general, neck joint construction is a very minor point to me. If I like the way it plays and the neck joint doesn't impede access to any frets, it's all good.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Post Thanks / Like

I use both. I tend to go through stages where I'll enjoy playing one guitar for a few months and then switch to another.
    Patrick

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

With the exception of my Squier, all of mine are set neck guitars. I don't know if I would choose a guitar to buy or play a guitar based on set or bolt on - if it feels good, I play it.

I've heard sustain is better on a set neck, but I cannot support that one way or the other. I do feel that my Ibanez has too much sustain, if there is such a thing.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't buy into the "more sustain" properties of set-neck, neck-thru, etc. I pick up a guitar, I look it over, plug it in and it either plays well or it doesn't. If it's the latter then I simply move on.
    Soundcloud - Lights on Project

-Pete

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Set or Bolt ?

For sound purposes it don't matter to me.
    For durability I'd say a bolt. :
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

pes_laul Guest

For me It depends on the guitar like shecter C-1's or gibsons with their set ncks seem to have good sustain but my squire and ibanez's they play alot easier and faster.

(Sweet my 400th post! )

Post Thanks / Like

Bolt-on for me. I live in constant fear of breaking a set-neck!

Play your guitar daily!

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kerc
    Bolt-on for me. I live in constant fear of breaking a set-neck!
    That's one advantage (one big advantage) that the bolt on has. Are there any others?
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by stingx
    I don't buy into the "more sustain" properties of set-neck, neck-thru, etc. I pick up a guitar, I look it over, plug it in and it either plays well or it doesn't. If it's the latter then I simply move on.
    +1!! :
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

No special preference either way.
    Guitars: 2008 Gibson SG Classic, 2006 Gibson Les Paul Standard LE, 2002 Gibson SG Supreme, 2001 Gibson Les Paul Studio Plus, 1996 Les Paul Studio Gem, American Deluxe Double Fat Strat, Bluesville "Super" Strat Copy, MIK Fender "Limited Edition" Tele, JD Bluesville "Night Pilot", Yamaha AES 820, Steinberger Spirit GT Pro, Taylor 355CE, Ovation 1897 Adamas, Ovation CC057 Celebrity

Amps: Axe FX centered rack rig, Mesa 4x12 cab. Germino Club 40, Johnson JM150 Millennium, Johnson JM250 Millennium, Gibson Titan Medalist Frankenstein.

Effects: Tonebone Trimode, EH Holy Grail, Boss CH-1, Dunlop Crybaby Classic, Framptone Amp Switcher, THD Hot Plate, Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Processor, Boss BCB-60 Pedal Board.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    I have batches of both. For Gibson-style guitars I prefer them to have setnecks, for Fender-style guitars I prefer them to have bolt-ons. But that's mainly based on the fact that a lot of bolt-on copies of setnecks were lower-end guitars with crappy quality.

A well-made guitar of either type is a bit different than one of the other type, but both are good.
    What da man said.:

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.