Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
My Blues Guitar DVD coming in 2008 - looking for your feedback
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Blues Guitar DVD coming in 2008 - looking for your feedback

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default My Blues Guitar DVD coming in 2008 - looking for your feedback

Okay, so I am trying re-focus my teaching efforts on this Blues DVD I've been planning.

I would like to see what ideas you guys have for content. This is going to be a beginner Blues DVD. The length will about an hour. There will be original songs, which I will show how to play the rhythm, as well as some typical blues solos/licks. I will try to keep all playing somewhat simple, so that true beginners will be able to learn from it, but I'll add some topics of greater depth, like improvising and maybe more advanced chords, etc.

If this turns out good, I'll likely make a DVD #2, which goes into more depth.

Maybe I will be able to accommodate some of your ideas and suggestions, so let me know your thoughts soon.

I'll likely cut down on the free video lessons on my site for a while. I just don't have the time to do both.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

As you know Robert, I have asked a few times when this is comming out..
    Anything you do inspires me.. You have already made a few nice Bluesy lessons for us beginners..

My main thing.. just little 12 bars.. E7 A7 B7, A7 D7 E7 etc etc..
    and adding little note runs to them.. bluesy kinda things..
    The more I mess with them.. the better it gets..
    Hearing and seeing what you put together..
    makes it that much easier and helpful..
    simple songs... like Sweet Home Chicago.. things from Robert Johnson and light'n Hopkins..simple forms etc etc..

That's my suggestions as a newby.. although there are great solos from SRV and such..
    I gotta get up from crawling and start walking before doing those..

Whatever you come up with..Im sure it will be a winner..

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Justa, I can benefit from anything you put together.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Okay, so I am trying re-focus my teaching efforts on this Blues DVD I've been planning.

I would like to see what ideas you guys have for content. This is going to be a beginner Blues DVD. The length will about an hour. There will be original songs, which I will show how to play the rhythm, as well as some typical blues solos/licks. I will try to keep all playing somewhat simple, so that true beginners will be able to learn from it, but I'll add some topics of greater depth, like improvising and maybe more advanced chords, etc.

If this turns out good, I'll likely make a DVD #2, which goes into more depth.

Maybe I will be able to accommodate some of your ideas and suggestions, so let me know your thoughts soon.

I'll likely cut down on the free video lessons on my site for a while. I just don't have the time to do both.
    Kudos to you for doing a blues, Robert.
    I'll offer one suggestion and one comment.
    I'm sure you will spend some time on the pentatonic minor.
    You had a great lesson on bends+vibrato, please remind beginners a single note, played when/where it should be, is more bluesy than a shredfest played w/o emotion. A bend w/ vibrato is a beautiful thing....

No-one who works has time to do it all. There is a cornucopia of knowledge on Dolphinstreet to anyone who wants to peruse it. You should be getting a decent price for an hour long lesson, IMO. I could surf the net, buy books, read theory till the cows come home, and I wouldn't improve one bit if I didn't pick my guitar up and play it. Beginners need basics, patience, and practice.
    I can't remember how many people, young and old, asked me for "lessons".
    I'd show them 3 chords, draw a diagram, tell them come back when they learned those........and never saw them again.......same thing for scales.....most wanted to learn "this kicka$$ tune", and didn't know how to tune their guitar.:
    Whew! Glad I got that off my chest.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Work the student up to a full song with rhythm intersperced with lead.

Teach a few bits of articulation, hammers-on & -off and a bend or two.

Much better to get to play a whole song (even if it is simple) than to make it lick-based (ie here's a lick, here's another, etc.).

Some kind'a blues shuffle would be good.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Blues Dvd

Exactly what tot_u_tard said and in spades. SRV was a fabulous rhythm player and if you could set up EASY examples/pieces of playing in that style would be the absolute BEST thing because that isn't available anywhere that I know of. That way we learn how to combine rhythm with lead and we'll all improve a lot faster. There's a lot of books/DVDs that show one or the other but not simple examples of both. Good luck Robert!!

Post Thanks / Like

maybe you could talk about the swung rythm that's very common in blues.

also: I'm kinda curious, for being a fret member can I have a discount?
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Swung rhythm? I am afraid I don't even know what that is.

Discount? Well, let me think about that and see what we can do when the time comes.....
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I really don't have any feedback other than maybe listen to me, Justa and Jasongins over on the Backing Tracks in A thread and just think, "What do these guys need?" and put it on there. I'll be one of, if not the very, first customers regardless of what ends up on it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Robert,

I think Steve might be on to something. I think the beginners are starved for something that is simple, but allows them to progress and provides a good foundation.

I'm not sure what level this DVD is going to be geared for, but I think you need to focus on one, maybe two levels. If you get beyond that you end up with little substance for any group to appreciate.

If you go beginner/intermediate (the only thing I would be interested in at this point), you have to think back to your own struggles and desires you had back then and before you became a guitar god :

I hope that makes sense. If not, just fire away with some direct questions.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    I'll be one of, if not the very, first customers regardless of what ends up on it.
    Ok, then I'll just add pictures of Canadian snow on that DVD and sell it to you...

Post Thanks / Like

Basics for sue but how about Chicago and Texas flavored Blues Those are my absolute favorites as far as style of blues.

I just really relate to the heavy driven beats I know you want and need to cover stuff for the beginners But hey how hard is BOOM Boom Boom.......

Post Thanks / Like

Just let me know when and where I can buy it...
    Guitars: 2002 Les Paul Studio Limited Color's Edition | 2004 Greg Bennett Avion Les Paul Copy | S101 Telecaster project | 2004 Washburn D46 Acoustic

Amplification: Epiphone Valve Jr. Head and Cabinet | VOX AD30VT

Effects: Rocktron Delay | BBE Free Fuzz | Big Muff Pi | Boss Flanger | Bad Monkey | Jekyll and Hyde | Cry Baby Wah | Boss EQ | Behrenger TU300 Tuner |

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Ok, then I'll just add pictures of Canadian snow on that DVD and sell it to you...
    Ok, as long as they are good shots! I love snow!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

my backyard shortly after plowing this morning.

It's fine if you don't have to shovel it (that's why I bought a plow) or drive in it (that's a good reason why I'm home today)
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Nice back yard, Strum! Looking at that has to give some inspiration for playing.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Swung rhythm? I am afraid I don't even know what that is.

Discount? Well, let me think about that and see what we can do when the time comes.....
    swung rythm, I don't quite know how to explain, but when you're playing the blues, and maybe some jazz stuff, you have the whole note beat,
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +, and back to 1 on 4/4 timing, in a traditionaly played piece,the eighth notes are played evenly between the two beats,
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + , on a swung piece however, it's kinda like there's a delay there and the eighth note in between the two is closer to the later not, like so:
    1 +2 +3 +4 +.

I hope I have managed to explain this, but listen to the opening of SRV's Pride And Joy, and you should get it.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pie_man_25
    swung rythm, I don't quite know how to explain, but when you're playing the blues, and maybe some jazz stuff, you have the whole note beat,
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 +, and back to 1 on 4/4 timing, in a traditionaly played piece,the eighth notes are played evenly between the two beats,
    1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + , on a swung piece however, it's kinda like there's a delay there and the eighth note in between the two is closer to the later not, like so:
    1 +2 +3 +4 +.

I hope I have managed to explain this, but listen to the opening of SRV's Pride And Joy, and you should get it.
    That's what I thought pieman meant. It's commonly called a shuffle or dotted eighths.
    I pick a moon dog.

Post Thanks / Like

I guess ya'll have to wait and see what the DVD will have...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast