Thread: Harmonica Jammin'

Post Thanks / Like

Default Harmonica Jammin'

Recently, I've taken to harmonica as a good quick way to have some good laughs. Right now i have a cheap noname brand harmonica... it served me well for a couple months, but now theres a couple reeds gone and i'm ready to get a good one... right now I'm not sure what to get at all...

as guitar, theres dozens of brands and various models of harmonicas

Anyone out there wanta give me the down-lo on a good harmonica for an intermediate.... i am really old school... johnny horton, marty robbins... heh

Someone give me a hand.

Right now, i am really leaning towards the Hohner Golden Melody or the ol' Marine band... peeps say wood reeds aren't for begineers.

My budgets around $40 Canadian
    Last edited by Bigbear; March 19th, 2006 at 10:58 AM. Reason: Spelling is for the shits

Post Thanks / Like

i dabble with harmonica too (i plat a mean kumbaya!)... a player (and instructor) i know uses the Hohner Golden Melody line and recommends them...so i picked one up (E) and it works for me...but my knowledge of harmonicas is limited to what i've been told.

ww
    Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    For the record, my annoyance with Warren has a lot to do with the hissing noises he makes.
    Guitars: Gibson 1998 Les Paul Special : Peavey Predator (Early 90's Fat Strat Copy) : Ibanez GAX30TR
    Brownsville Reso - 101 Electric Reso : Fender GDO-300 Maple Quilt Top Acoustic

Amps: Fender Super Champ XD

Effects: Digitech RP250 Modeling Guitar Processor : DVM "Phased and Confused" Script Phaser Clone : Digitech Bad Monkey
    Danelectro Cool Cat Chorus : Behringer Distortion Modeler : Ernie Ball Volume Pedal : Dunlop Cry Baby Wah

Post Thanks / Like

I've worked with one of the rippingest harp players in the west and he always used metal reeds. Before he used one for a song he would dip it in a glass of clean water and then shake it out. I guess it keeps the internals clean.
    I think he always used Honer Specials. He would blow out at least one harp every 2-3 weeks so he stuck with cheap ones. They sounded good and didn't cost too much to replace.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Thats awesome guys, i'ts going to be a Golden Melody, i might look at some metal or wood reed ones later... but i think a Golden melody, one in C and one in G would suit me well

Played a kickass bluegrass gig lastnight, played everything i could on harp.. it was absolutely cracked.

Thx for your help!
    Last edited by Bigbear; March 19th, 2006 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Spelling