Thread: Toneport/Gearbox Problem with new computer

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Toneport/Gearbox Problem with new computer

Santa brought us a new iMac this year for the home and use in my wife's chiro office that doubles as the guitar/recording area of the house. I have installed a clean version of Gearbox software and run updates through the update Monkey, and cannot get it to connect to the online resources at all. I have un-installed, re-installed with the latest downloadable installers, used the disc that came with the Toneport, and nothing. I figure that I have versions of the software on too many machines or something, as the software is installed on my laptop, and work computer as well. Has anyone run into problems like this when trying to bring a new computer online? Solutions? I have searched their online help, tried un-installs and re-installs as suggested. I even signed up to use my 30 free days of Guitarport Online to try it out this month as things slow down from the holidays, thinking it might activate a license or something. Hmm. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Strange.. I guess that this could be a Leopard problem if you dont have 10.5 on your other macs.. if not, contact line6 and tell them about your problem.
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is the case. This is the only leopard machine, but no indication of a leopard issue in the online support area. I have asked a question on the line 6 forum in the Gearbox area, but have not received an answer after a few days. I will call when they get in tomorrow.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, Leopard did all kinds of strange stuff to my audio gear/applications. I bet that this is a known problem with 10.5 and that Line6 is working on a solution.

Read this:

http://line6.com/support/thread.jspa...39077&tstart=0
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks SS! I obviously missed that when I was looking around the Gearbox area on the same site. Patience and it will be fixed I am sure. In the meantime, I can use it on my old laptop that is not supposed to be able to run it but does. I just can't fire up Garageband to record at the same time.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

You can download and install the Guitar Rig 3 demo for your Leo-Mac! It only works for 30 minutes and then you´ll have to restart GB though.

http://www.native-instruments.com/in...d=guitarrig3se

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sure, why the heck not! Though I don't want to GAS for the full deal. As I recall, it costs more than I want to spend right now. Well, I'll have to risk it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Sure, why the heck not! Though I don't want to GAS for the full deal. As I recall, it costs more than I want to spend right now. Well, I'll have to risk it.
    Be brave Steve, be brave!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSwede
    Be brave Steve, be brave!

Done deal. Downloading the demo now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Good for you! But dont blame me when ´el credito´starts to whisper subliminal messages into your ears.. he wants you to buy it..

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So here is the answer for now, which is basically what Swede directed me to:

http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=40

Gearbox works, but not the online resources for now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Allright!! The driver compatibility problem is now fixed with a new update just released.
    http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=49

Now the online resources are available as well as the general function of the device and software. Am messing around dialing up artist presets to check them out. So much fun!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sunvalleylaw
    Allright!! The driver compatibility problem is now fixed with a new update just released.
    http://line6.com/support/ann.jspa?annID=49

Now the online resources are available as well as the general function of the device and software. Am messing around dialing up artist presets to check them out. So much fun!
    Alrighty!!! I knew they would let MAC's catch up eventually...
    Shame, the MS systems get all the breaks first!! :

Im sorry..I justa had to...
    glad its all working for you now!! Darn good systems.. umm line 6 stuff I mean..:

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

LOL!! All in good fun I know. Seems a long time to fix the drivers, which is what I think the problem was. But it is all right now.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Wow...speaking of brain farts.. (ok Im speaking of them)

Ya'll know with the tone ports, you basicly have a soundcard in itself.. so you connect your computer speakers to it or headphones...

Well, I bought a splitter a while back..so I can use my headphones or computer speakers..

I truelly didn't like the sounds of music through the computer speakers.. so basicly wear headphones now.. sigh...

then it dawns on me (here is where the brain fart came in)...

I am sitting in a room with a Yamaha Stereo system to my left.. DUH!!

unplugging the computer speakers... pluging the extra split into the aux on the yamaha.. man do you guys sound good thru those recordings!!

How many people have the option of running thru a stereo? man do it.. and end the brain farts... these toneports sound great thru them... including the guitar!!

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

Justa, a stereo is the way to go. Computer speakers are often too limited to reproduce music properly.