Thread: Neck quality on SX guitars..?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Neck quality on SX guitars..?

I am considering some of the offerings from Rondo, and am curious to hear what some here can say about the neck on their SSTs and other SX models.

Finish, size (small hands!), fretwork..?

BTW, this is part of my search for a {low-cost} affordable, comfortable P90 growl, (hard tail?)... suggestions welcome!!

Edit: changed low-cost to affordable.
    I can afford more, actually, but as a beginner, I am very self-conscious about spending over my skill level... just the way I am... is there a way to cure this disease..?

Post Thanks / Like

The SX guitars I had didn't have any fret sprout but did have some need of a fret leveling. The size was fairly full round and thick on the Strat copies. If you want something thinner look into the Douglas models.

No matter what if you aren't satisfied with it Rondo has a superb return policy.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

The neck on the SX SST Mahogany P-90 that I bought recently is surprisingly good. It's a medium C shape, not thin, but no baseball bat either. There is no fret sprout, and the frets were leveled properly. The frets did need to be polished, though, which I have already done. The finish all around on the neck (which is maple/maple) is gloss, which some like and some don't. I happen to like it.

I really have no complaints with the neck. To say that I'm surprised to fine a neck this good on a $110.00 guitar is an under statement. As a word of caution though, I've heard where others have received SST's with fret sprout, and unlevel frets. Although that seems to be more the exception than the rule, be advised that it could happen. As Spud said, Rondo's return policy is very good, and they certainly wouldn't be selling the number of these guitars that they do if there was a persistent quality problem.

Here's a review that I did on mine:
    http://www.thefret.net/showthread.php?t=8071

South Williamsport, Pa. (on the Susquehanna River)
    Post Thanks / Like

Default SX necks

I have two sst's a 57 and a 62. The 57 has some minor buzz that my instructor who was a tech for like 20+ years can probably remedy easily.

I have a 62 with a just awesome neck with beautiful
    STRAIGHT grain, super beautiful and I have been playing it a lot lately, stock pups, very, very bright. Sounds great thru the Blackheart 3/5 watt head and the Epi one by twelve cab, as well as thru the Peavey Delta Blues. Trem is adequate, but I like a really responsive trem so I loosened up the inner four screws and kept the outer two fairly loose but not snugged down. 1/16 float on the back of the bridge. Just enough to get some higher pitches. I usually palm it down for some neat trem.

I have a couple great SX guitars. Especially that all mahogany LP JR with two P nineties and mahogany set neck 139, sold out probably about as fast as that mahogany strat is going to sell out with the two P nineties. He who hesitates is lost sometimes, don't forget that and how many mahogany body strats do you see?

I have one of those nice Squire trans crimson mahogany dual duncan designed humbucker ones I got for 130 used and I don't think it was played. Plastic still on the back of the tuners. My Cherry Burst is already accidentally more relic'd. Hey, nothing lasts forever. Prudence and reasonable care is what I try to do and I don't like it when I ding them up but it happens.

I'm thinking about a SX 62 PJ bass and wonder if it will have the thick two by four type P bass neck or the nice slim profile Jazz neck. Either one will be cool. They both have their qualities. The bigger necks have more sustain I think due to greater mass, or cubic inches, kind of like the motorcycle analogy. The thick necks are more like thumpers and the thin ones are more like two strokes. Is that a good analogy or a really suc#y one?

SX's are hit and miss many people say and I guess my experience has been an analog of that.

Duff
    Duffy
    South Williamsport, Pa.

"So let us stop talking falsely now, the hour's getting late." (as by JH)