Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Bm collab tune - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bm collab tune

Post Thanks / Like

Great to get you guys involved. Good job. If we keep it up one of these days we'll be able to see Jimi's level from here! Gotta keep working in the woodshed. And thanks to OG for a great track.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job, guys!:
    Jimi, I didn't understand you at first about the reload, and the other guys takes were on there when I caught it. I doubt I would've tried to change it anyway, I'd be afraid I'd mess up and lose your solo.
    Ted, you said your solo didn't have a bright EQ to it, but it reminded me of B.B. King, the way your phrasing sounded.
    eichaan, I listened to you solo, it sounded good, but I don't have an account w/ soundclick, and couldn't figure out how to get your part downloaded to try and sync it w/ the BT. Sorry.... good playing, tho, nice sound.
    Thanks to everybody who played.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Well, since Helliot left about 50 sec. or so at the end, I just filled it up and faded it out at the end. I'm not in a league with these guys, but I figure it's still better than 50 sec. of just the BT....

Recorded with my Epi '56 Goldtop into my Valve Jr. and out through the Drive 2x12 cab. I doubled up the Behringer TO100 Tube Overdrive and my ZYS in the "cool" MOSFET clipping mode for the distortion, and added a smidge of delay. The first part is on the neck pickup with the treble rolled all the way off for that old EC "woman tone", and the second part is on the bridge pickup with the tone up at about three-quarters.

DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great, Voodoo. That Goldtop rails very nicely.
    helliott in Hamilton
    Guitars -- 2 PRS CE 24s 85/15 pups, PRS semi-hollow CE 22, Fender Baja Telecaster; Gibson Les Paul Standard; 80s Strat updated with custom 69 pups, Anniversary Strat with Fat 50s, Epiphone Sheraton re-issue; Yamaha 5-string bass; Yamaha TBS 6 and 12 string acoustics,Takamine acoustic, Fender nylon string acoustic
    Amps -- Mesa Boogie Lone Star; Boss Katana 100, Peavey Blueamaster 2x10, Line 6 Helix
    Pedals etc: Mosfet Full Drive 2; Ibanez Tube Screamer; Fairfield Barbershop OD, Diamond Compressor; Voodo Sparkledrive, Boss Digital Delay DD7; Boss TU2 Chromatic Tuner; Cry Baby wah

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Vood ! gotta do this more often, big fun that !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guys, that was really amazing. I love listening to all of you play. Quite an inspiration.

Ok, on the more beginner end of things, I started a new one up. Constructive criticism welcome. I feel I could benefit from good control over a vibrato, and my bends are not to pitch as I would like. Mostly though, someone hop in.

http://www.box.net/shared/gvr1sl18gc

Here is a different take.

http://www.box.net/shared/wsmhtb4sgw

Feel free to comment on both or either, and someone please hop in on one or the other. :
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Sunvalleylaw,

I am happy to finally hear your playing!
    Here's what I think:
    - you play very clean and I heard no noises of undamped strings.
    - you leave enough space to make the song breath, this is what I call a very healthy basis to develop classic blues phrasing.
    - you key notes are pretty good. Don't know if you intentionally followed the chords but everything fits in very well.
    - your bending especially in the first take sounds exotic. The attack and the way you bend reminds me of some blues great but I forget the name - sorry!
    - the recording quality is briliant as is also the guitar sound

My friend you are on a very good way and I can almost smell which kind of guitar player sleeps in you.

:
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Right on Steve ! I'd like to jump in but I "should" go to work.
    Hmm, work, virtual jam.. work, virtual jam...
    Difficult decision.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Wow, thanks guys! Ted, when you have time please do. Jimi, I did not consciously follow the chords, but had a general idea in mind. I tried to start with a single, short phrase and flow from there. I appreciate the comments!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, excellent effort for your first recording that I've heard!

From what I can hear you are already doing bends, hammer ons, and pull offs effectively. Those are pretty much the basis for all solos. And your timing is right on; this may sound simple, but lots of people (including myself) have problems with it. Keep playing along to backing tracks like this one and you will start to find more and more melodies and riffs that you can work in. Since this backing track is essentially "The Thrill Is Gone" from BB King, give the song a listen and try to pick out some of the riffs from it, there are just a few and none of them that hard.

This is great fun, ain't it?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aeolian
    Since this backing track is essentially "The Thrill Is Gone" from BB King, give the song a listen and try to pick out some of the riffs from it, there are just a few and none of them that hard.
    Exactly right. And that caused me problems in trying to solo over this BT, 'cuz those B.B. riffs kept dancing around in my head. Hard to keep them out of your playing, when a tune is as familiar as this one. At least, it is for me....

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I found the same thing Vood.
    Jimi and Helliot certainly didn't have a problem adding some hair to it though eh?!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ted s
    I found the same thing Vood.
    Jimi and Helliot certainly didn't have a problem adding some hair to it though eh?!
    None whatsoever. Those boys are up a click or three from our level! :

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Nice job Sunny boy. Solid tone, good note selection, no wanking. I am particularly impressed by your ability to underplay. Like Jimi says you leave plenty of room for the material to breathe. Way to go.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds great Sunvalley-Steve!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback. Where else could I go where players of your caliber would take time to listen to me, and take time to comment. I surely do appreciate it.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Nice playing all. Steve I wish I had that feel, that sounded great for a first time record. Lots of good advice here, thanks all.

M29

Post Thanks / Like

Sunny Steve, your takes sounded great. You've improved lots, keep it going, brother!!:
    I'll add one thing here, hope it doesn't cause a ruckus......:
    the BT is, as said, essentially, the thrill is gone...listen to that song, get comfortable with it.
    After you've done that, go back and listen to all the Fretter's takes again, and listen to what the song can be interpreted as....not just what it was on vinyl.
    In time, you will hear what you want to do with the progression, and learn to play with it different ways, and decide what sounds best to you. Have fun.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

Steve, that was really nice. I can't add much to what all these guys have said. I agree, keep that nice, laid-back feeling with space between notes -- don't succumb to overplaying like I sometimes do.
    Vibrato is key to distinctive blues playing. Every accomplished player has his/her own vibrato style, so it's good to find one that works for you and get comfortable with it. It's also good to learn and fast and a slower vibrato, but that will come with time.
    Your bends sound great. Good to keep in mind that half tone bends as well as full-step bends work nicely, especially in minor progressions.
    You got a nice, clean, spacious sound on your first recording. Great stuff.
    helliott in Hamilton

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast