Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
I have got to get one of these - Electric Sitar!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have got to get one of these - Electric Sitar!

Post Thanks / Like

Default I have got to get one of these - Electric Sitar!

I've always wanted one and I saw a similar thread over at FDP and thought it would be cool to talk about this here.

Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Now THAT is something to GAS for.:
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Awesome... get one Rob!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Post Thanks / Like

Arrow Sitar.....

I tryed one, they do sound cool, but it's not like a real Sitar.
    These days you don't see many authentic sitars like in the 60's.
    I saw one recently at a local music shop. 8thStreet Music to be exact.
    He gets in maybe one a year. He's got a connection with some guy in India.
    They are an intrigueing, unusual, exotic, and almost weird sounding insrtrument.
    God Wants Spiritual Fruit, Not Religous Nuts!

Post Thanks / Like

I've never seen a live one here yet but I bet they're pretty expensive.
    Guitars/Bass - MIM Fender Classic 50s Strat, MIM Fender Standard Strat, Squier Classic Vibe 50s Tele, Gibson Les Paul Studio, Epi '56 Gold Top Les Paul, Martin DSR acoustic, Sigma Martin Auditorium electric/acoustic, Squier Jazz Bass.

Amps/Cabinets/Modelers - Model 2558 50 watt Marshall Silver Anniversary Jubilee combo w/ Celestion Vintage 30s, 4x12 Marshall cabinet w/25 watt Greenback Celestions, Fender Blues Junior w/ a couple of Billm mods, Line 6 POD 2.0, Roland Micro Cube

Pedals/Effects - Cry Baby Classic Wah, Boss TU-2, Boss NS-2, Boss RC-2 Loop Station, Ross Compressor, MXR Micro Amp, Danelectro FAB Echo, Danelectro FAB Chorus, Danelectro Chicken Salad, Marshall Guv'nor Plus, Marshall Echohead, Duhvoodooman's Zonkin' Yellow Screamer, Digitech Digiverb, Digitech Bad Monkey, Dunlop Fuzz Face, Homemade Loop Bypass pedal, Duhvoodooman's Sonic Tonic (Maxon SD-9 clone +), Voodoo Labs Superfuzz

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone
    Just imagine all the cool Rolling Stones / Beatles licks that you could play with that baby!
    I can't say that I've given up on a flanger cause I've never liked the effect either. I also can't say the same about Tremolo. I hate them both equally. - Tone2TheBone 2009

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

That would be fun, indeed! Somebody get one already!
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

everybody should save up and buy me one for next christmas.
    "I happen to have perfect situational awareness, Lana. Which cannot be taught, by the way. Like a poet's ... mind for ... to make the perfect words." - Sterling Archer

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tone2TheBone

Here ya go T2TB:

http://www.rondomusic.com/sitar.html

Go for it :

GG
    Guitars: Washburn D10S, Washburn J28SDL, Washburn D56SW, Washburn F52SW, Washburn WI67PRO, Squire Standard Strat, Squire Tele Custom II, Squire '51, Agile AL-3100, Switch Wild IV Signature, Squire Classic Vibe 50's Tele

Amps: Vox AD30VT, Epiphone VJ Combo, Crate Palomino V8, Vox DA5

Pedals: Digitech Bad Monkey, Boss Blues Driver, Danelectro: PB&J Delay, Tuna Melt Tremolo, Chicken Salad Vibrato

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks GG!

Swedester - Yeah that's exactly what I was thinking. Stones and Bee-ah tuls acid rockin'!

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Get that one, Tone! Have you sold enough old pedals yet to be able to afford one?
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

yes tone, you have to get an electric sitar.
    "the emperor is rich, but he cannot buy another year"
    -anonymous chinese person

"the thief is sorry for being hung, not for being a thief"
    -anonymous

"We are not nationalities, we are not races, we are not political parties, we are not social classes, we are not cultures, we are not subcultures, and we are not churches, but when all things are said and done, the guns are shot, the riots have died down, one thing is true, and that should preceed all other things, we are, without division: HUMAN BEINGS, is that not good enough an excuse stop shooting people, and letting others starve to death?" -Pie_man_25

Post Thanks / Like

*looks at picture*

Ick, no!! I doubt anyone is contemplating it, but don't even bother wasting the 350 bucks. A sitar isn't just a guitar that makes funny noises, but that's exactly what it looks like they're going for here. There's an actual method to playing a real sitar that's totally different than what this monstrosity is and there are even strings that it doesn't account for. That's not even getting into playing style and all that (again, which wouldn't translate).

I actually have a bit of experience with real Sitars. I used to own one, but had to ditch it as I just didn't have room for it in the move from Chicago to Oregon a few years back.

Anyway, yeah....if you ever play a real one, you'll take one look at this electric sitar thing here and know it's just someone's silly workshop project that they (or some other clown) wrongly decided it would be a good idea to market.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I think Steve Miller brought out a combo guitar electric sitar he had bought years ago in new york at his show here recently. He did some cool stuff with it. Go after it for us Tone!
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Know someone that bought a Hohner Coral Electric Sitar off of Ebay.
    they know it is not like the real thing but it serves them well in some
    projects.they like the challenge of learning to play it plus incorporating it in their music styles.below is the picture of it.

Post Thanks / Like

Duane Allman played an electric sitar on one of his muscle shoals studio sessions(king curtis??) What kind of sitar does derek trucks play??(both regular sitar and electric) The electric sitar is made for guitar players and rock,jazz,fusion, r&b,blues,world,americana,genres of music not for classical ,indian eastern,music and unlike "real sitars".The sympathetic strings or resonant strings are really meant to just resonate vibrate when playing the regular stings on the fretboard.(usually a lipstick pup or other s.c. is used to amplify these strings) I think they resonate one octave lower. Born in the 60's it was never intended or pretended to be a "real sitar" but a completly different animal electrified and built for guitar players not classical sitar players.(not that there is anything wrong with these players) Sitar is a fairly complicated instrument not much use for southern longhairs
    Last edited by mrmudcat; January 14th, 2008 at 08:04 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sitar in Da Blues...

Psssst tone.. $299.00 at MF.. umm and that 20% discount coupon
    ..hmmm..there's still room in our gigtruck
    http://www.musiciansfriend.com/produ...tar?sku=519273

Jimmie Vaughan Strat , Squire 51
    Epi 56 GoldTop, SX "Vintage" Jazz Bass
    Zager 50, Guild GAD30R (Excellent)
    G-Dec 3 Thirty, Valve Junior & Cab
    Crate PowerBlock, Crate V33H
    JamVox, Studio GX With Mods/Farm 2.0.

Post Thanks / Like

"Anyway, yeah....if you ever play a real one, you'll take one look at this electric sitar thing here and know it's just someone's silly workshop project that they (or some other clown) wrongly decided it would be a good idea to market."

Really??? You might want to check this statement Are you talking about all electric sitars or are you just reffering to this particular one because I think your confusing what the original design was meant to be and again it was never meant to be a traditional sitar!: There are also sitars that are electric but made the traditional way(body shape neck) and played the sameway ,tradional eastern music. Are these real or fake!!:

Santana, Duane,Steve Miller,Robert johnsoin,Derek Trucks(among others) all have used electric sitars.Or electric guitar with the resonant strings The newer design sitars of some electric guitar makers are just trying to appeal to the mainstream by making the bodies resemble sitars sort of.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mrmudcat
    Santana, Duane,Steve Miller,Robert johnsoin,Derek Trucks(among others) all have used electric sitars.Or electric guitar with the resonant strings The newer design sitars of some electric guitar makers are just trying to appeal to the mainstream by making the bodies resemble sitars sort of.
    Not to mention that in his early-mid 1970's bands Miles Davis had an electric sitar player. It is a completely different instrument from the indian classical instrument, but this hardly makes it useless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast