Thread: synchronisation...

Post Thanks / Like

Default synchronisation...

Anyone got any good exercises to help develop a better synchronisation between left and right hands??? Sounds like a stupid question, but any help you could give would be greatly appreciated!

A

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, welcome. Second of all, make sure to introduce yourself in the proper forum. Third of all, there really is only one solution: practice. If you are having sync problems, slow whatever you are doing down until they are in sync. Then gradually increase speed. A metronome will help.
    Axen: Jackson DK2M, Fender Deluxe Nashville Telecaster, Reverend Warhawk 390, Taylor 914ce, ESP LTD Surveyor-414
    Amphen: Jet City JCA22H and JCA12S cab, Carvin X-60 combo, Acoustic B20
    Effecten: "Thesis 96" Overdrive/Boost (aka DVM OD2), Hardwire DL-8 Digital Delay/Looper, DigiTech Polara Reverb, DigiTech EX-7 Expression Factory and CF-7 Chorus Factory, Danelectro CF-1 Cool Cat Fuzz
    "I wish Imagine Dragons would be stuck in an Arcade Fire for an entire Vampire Weekend."--Brian Posehn

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Numero Uno: Practice with a metronome (or drum groove) !!! Do it as slow as needed in order for you play it perfectly, only then should you increase the speed.

Metronomes are dead boring though, get a drum machine, backing track, or whatever else that has some fun groove.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

The replies are much appreciated. I think a small drum machine would be ideal for practicing with, and hopefully overcoming my sync issues. Just got a valve junior off the gf for xmas so playing through that clean would help no end too, no gain to disguise my shortcomings Ironically I feel my first post here betrayed my single worst flaw with my playing, getting way ahead of myself due to impatience ha!

Again your replies were much appreciated and thank you for the warm welcome to the forum.

Andy

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Slow is the key. Try doing different scales (slow) and then increase your speed.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by just strum
    Slow is the key. Try doing different scales (slow) and then increase your speed.
    Yeah, I'm just an immensely impatient person (artistic temperament) hahahhaaa. I know you're right though, I've seen some of the videos on here, you guys KNOW how to play, so i'm willing to listen to any advice

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I've always done that helped me is when I'm just sitting around I turn my thigh into a drum and make beats with my hands. You'll develop full body syncopation that way. It transfers to the guitar.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    One thing I've always done that helped me is when I'm just sitting around I turn my thigh into a drum and make beats with my hands. You'll develop full body syncopation that way. It transfers to the guitar.
    Does that work??? I drum surfaces nonstop, I must be broken somewhere I think i just need to slow down in everything i play for a few months.

Post Thanks / Like

Funny Andy,you must be broken somewhere nyuk nyuk nyuk but yes it does work especially if you have and use various drum beats.4/4,3/4.etc.however The most important factor has not been mentioned.Have Fun doing what you're doing

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by player
    Funny Andy,you must be broken somewhere nyuk nyuk nyuk but yes it does work especially if you have and use various drum beats.4/4,3/4.etc.however The most important factor has not been mentioned.Have Fun doing what you're doing
    I love playing so much, but it can just feel frustrating when you're stuck in a rut. Ya ever get that?

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Andy we all go thru ruts however if and when I do a simple scale excercise works for me.what I try to do and succeed at it is, jump off any note in a given riff/scale run then experiment using other scales going where you normally would not then try to find ways to get back to that note to continue the riff/scale.at the same time discovering other areas of interest to investigate,sort of a that sounded good let me see what I can do with it thing
    try that you might like it

Post Thanks / Like

If you get stuck in a rut do a search here on the forum. We have already posted some great ideas that might help you.

"No Tele For you." - The Tele Nazi

Ha! Tele-ish now inbound.

Post Thanks / Like

I have to say, all the advice about geting a metronome and playing along with it has really helped. My synchronisation is alot better, I've just been endlessly running through alternating chromatics and throwing in string skipping and its helped me enormously. I'm alot faster than I was 2 weeks ago, think i'll keep up this little exercise regimen.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by andyl
    I have to say, all the advice about geting a metronome and playing along with it has really helped. My synchronisation is alot better, I've just been endlessly running through alternating chromatics and throwing in string skipping and its helped me enormously. I'm alot faster than I was 2 weeks ago, think i'll keep up this little exercise regimen.
    Great Andy,if you found a formula that works,do stick with it :

Northern Ohio - Near Cleveland - Home of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame http://www.rockhall.com/
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Spudman
    If you get stuck in a rut do a search here on the forum. We have already posted some great ideas that might help you.
    Spuds right, there is all kinds of advise here regarding the "rut" subject. However, I will throw one quick piece of advise out - I was one of the people that started a "rut" thread and after reading all the advise and stories of other fretters own experience, I realized how it's just part of the journey. Although I can't avoid being in a rut, I no longer let it discourage me. I look at it as just another part of the learning experience and just enjoy the hell out of it.
    Mark
    * Loud is good, good is better!

Post Thanks / Like

May the Rut be with You.

It's part of every activity on this earth & ain't worth fretting about. Keep on keeping on & let the rut take care of itself.
    I pick a moon dog.