Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Douglas Les Paul copies

Thread: Douglas Les Paul copies

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Douglas Les Paul copies

Rondo has these Douglas Les Paul copies - see http://www.rondomusic.com/electricguitar-ss2.html

Anyone know anything about them?

$109.95
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't have any direct experience with 'em, but here's what I'd say: MIC bolt-neck, no doubt ceramic magnet HBs, probably comparable to the Epi LP Special II. No mahogany body or neck, no maple cap, just an alder body with maple neck.

I wouldn't go there if you're looking to replicate an LP at all. With an alder body and bolt-neck it'd probably sound more like a double fat Strat (rosewood board) than an LP.

As you may already know Kurt at Rondo is a good guy, however. But if I was gonna get an LP knockoff I'd want a setneck and mahogany body at a minimum. Unfortunately at Rondo that puts you at almost double the Douglas, up to a MIK Agile.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Krashpad
    ....But if I was gonna get an LP knockoff I'd want a setneck and mahogany body at a minimum. Unfortunately at Rondo that puts you at almost double the Douglas, up to a MIK Agile.
    Then again, compared to $2,300 for a Gibson LP Standard, even the more expensive Agile models look like a steal....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

I played a couple of "les pauls" with surprisingly similar headstocks the other day. They were branded "GTR Custom" and the shop, Guitarium in Wellington imports them direct. Not bad but not LPs in anything but approximate shape. They did have a P90 loaded special type that had a certain brash charm though.
    Electric: Fat strat > Korg PB > TS7 > DS1 > DD-20 > Cube 60 (Fender model)

Acoustic: Guitar > microphone > audience

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know anything about them, Robert, but I'd agree saving for a higher-end Agile would be a wiser investment in the long run.
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Camrose, Alberta, Canada - used to be Umea Sweden.
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I never said I was intending to buy one! Just interesting to know more about them in case someone asks.
    The Law of Gravity is nonsense. No such law exists. If I think I float, and you think I float, then it happens.
    Master Guitar Academy - I also teach via SKYPE.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Robert
    Well, I never said I was intending to buy one! Just interesting to know more about them in case someone asks.
    You want me to buy one and make another "popping noisy" video?
    I don't have a real LP to compare it to, tho........: :
    Guitars
    Wilburn Versatare, '52 FrankenTele(Fender licensed parts), Fender USA Roadhouse Strat, Fender USA Standard B-bender Telecaster, Agile AL 3000 w/ WCR pickups, Ibanez MIJ V300 Acoustic, Squier Precision Bass,
    Amps
    Ceriatone Overtone Special, Musicman 212 Sixty-Five, Fender Blues Jr., Peavey Classic 30, Fender Super Reverb, Traynor YCV-40 WR Anniversary w/ matching 1x12 ext. cab, Epiphone SoCal 50w head w/ matching 4x12 cab (Lady Luck speakers), Avatar 2x12 semi-open back cab w/ Celestion speakers
    Pedals
    Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech Jamman, DVM's ZYS, Goodrich volume pedal

Post Thanks / Like

We already had a thread about the best Les Paul copies for very low money.

http://www.jhs.co.uk/vintageelectric.html

Great guitars. They have a distributor in the USA ans maybe in Canada, too.

Robert, although you are absolutely not interested in buying one , go and check one out. If I hadn't a beautiful Les Paul, I would have come home with one or maybe two of these.
    "A lot of people in the industry want to blame downloading for the state of the business. But I think if most music wasn't shit to begin with people wouldn't be downloading it for free," - Corey Taylor (Slipknot)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Douglas LP Copy

I just got one of these from Rondo , what a cool guitar for the money. I took it down to my friends music shop and all he did was stare with his mouth open. We compare it better than the Epi. If you want a Gibson LP buy one nothing will satisfy you if that is what you want. This guitar cooks the humbuckers are not too hot just right for me. I had Gibson LP double cutaway a few years ago and actually the Douglas plays just as well and sounds good. Myself and three other guitar players looked this guy over and all of us gave it a thumbs up . 109.00 buys a lot of guitar from Douglas.