Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
Trying to decide between three Strats, buying in a month
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Trying to decide between three Strats, buying in a month

Post Thanks / Like

Default Trying to decide between three Strats, buying in a month

Oh, and btw, howdy all. I've been away for quite a while, just trying to survive and get them good grades in college while retaining something resembling a life (though not a social one; if I can just sit down for a couple of hours every night after homework to play some guitar or games, I'm happy).

Anyway, sorry this is a long post but it DOES involve 3 guitars. The three Strats I'm looking at are: A Strat Standard MIM SSS, a Deluxe Players Strat, and a Lonestar Strat. The one I'll get would be a Sunburst with Rosewood fretboard.

I initially wanted the Deluxe Players, but I haven't been hearing the nicest things about the Vintage Noiseless pickups- it's said that they can be on the harsh/shrill side and they don't have that "true Strat sound". When I played one versus a Standard, I did notice that the sound seem a bit thinner next to the Standard. Also, I hear they're actually humbuckers (I'm getting a Strat in the first place because I want a single coil pup guitar) and I've even seen someone mention something about them being gated (this surprises me). I've also seen complaints about the Standards and that the pickups there aren't great, but perhaps closer to that whole "Strat sound".

The Lonestar represents the middle ground to me. Yes, it has a humbucker, but it's a Pearly Gates and unlike its Roadhouse Strat brother, you can get it with a rosewood fretboard. I'm worried about the Texas Specials, though, because I do want to be able to get a nice clean sound out of it, too. However, I'm mainly a low volume player, so maybe the extra push might help me when I finally plunk down the money for a Fender Blues Jr. and want to get some overdrive. I just don't know if the Texas Specials are the most versatile of pickups and while I'd love something like a Stevie Ray sound, I don't want it to be the only thing I have.

The only other considerations I have is I like the 12" radius neck on the Deluxe Players over the 9.5" of the Standard and Lonestar, as I don't have huge hands and it feels comfortable to me (but that could also be because I'm used to my Epi Les Paul, which also have 12" radius necks) and for some reason, the $400 tag on the Standard has me wondering where they're cutting corners in build quality.

Input?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd go roadhouse, but if you want the rosewood instead, I guess lonestar. I get nice cleans out of my Tex Mex pups. Listen to StingX's clean clips on this forum. The Peavey Classic 30 threads have some. I think those pups give a great sound.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Amphs: Peavey Classic 30, '61 Fender Concert
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

love is the answer, at least for most of the questions in my heart. . .
    - j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I have Texas Specials at the neck and middle positions in my Strat, and have no problem getting good clean tones. Roll down your volume or the amp gain, and it will sound nice and clean, and unmistakably Strat-ish. You can also adjust the pickup heights to control how hotly they behave. So I wouldn't be scared off the Lonestar by the pickups....
    DVM's Ever-Expanding Gear List:

Guitars - W-A-A-A-Y-Y too many to list. Check 'em all out HERE

Amps & Cabs - "Kap'n Kerrang-aroo" BYOC 18W TMB kit amp head; Mojave Coyote head; Fender Hot Rod Deluxe Lacquered Tweed Ltd. Ed.; Allen Sweet Spot kit amp; BYOC Tweed Royal kit amp; Epiphone Valve Jr. combo + mods; Drive 2x12 cab / Celestion G12M Greenback + G12H30; AB Custom Audio 1x12 cab / Celestion Alnico Blue

Pedals/Effects - ZILLIONS, including DVM's Home-built Pedals - See some HERE and HERE, TOO!

DVM's Gear Photos
    Visit MY WEBSITE!

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, SVL, I was looking at the Roadhouse, but I just have this thing about rosewood fretboards, so I'm willing to go with a Lonestar w/humbucker in the bridge to get that (it doesn't hurt that it's a Pearly Gates, which I hear are very nice; correct me if I'm wrong or want to add what kind of sound I'm looking at in one of those). Also, I'll be spending a lot of time on the neck and mid pups, so it's good to hear the TS's will still get a nice Strat sound, per VoodooMan.

The reason I even brought the MIM Strat into the equation is because I figured at $400 or so bucks, I could throw the extra $200 in and get whatever pups I like, perhaps a set of vintage-type pickups (and a black pickguard, which I'll probably add to ANY of the three I end up getting).

However, and this brings me back to the $400 build quality, what's up with the MIM's and these other two? Can anyone with experience (first or second hand) speak on how the Roadhouses and Deluxe Player's are built in comparison to the Standard MIM's or in general? Are the other two actually better or just the same basic guitars with that extra cost sunk into a thicker pickguard and upgraded pickups and schmancy names? *scratches head*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't have direct or indirect experience with those two models. I will say my 60th MIM did seem to be a step above the standard MIM's I tried. And that was true with a few different 60th MIM units in different stores that I tried as compared to the std. MIMs. I would go check out the Lonestar/Roadhouses vs. the other MIMs and see. Robert could comment on the Deluxe Player's. I think his review here and on Dolphinstreet would help you there.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

Guitars: Fender 60th Anniversary Std. Strat, Squier CVC Tele Hagstrom Viking Semi-hollow, Joshua beach guitar, Martin SPD-16TR Dreadnought
    Effects and such: Boss: DS-1, CE-5, NS-2 and RC20XL looper, Digitech Bad Monkey, Korg AX1G Multi-effects, Berhinger: TU100 tuner, PB100 Clean Boost, Line 6 Toneport UX2, Electro Harmonix Little Big Muff Pi, DuhVoodooMan's Rabid Rodent Rat Clone, Zonkin Yellow Screamer Mk. II, MXR Carbon Copy Delay

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's one thing I love about this place. I originally found it when I was looking into amplifiers, a Vox ADXXVT in particular, and Google pulled it up. It was perfect- so many people to ask about that amp.

Now, I've been looking into Strats and was set on a Standard, but then saw the Deluxe Players online and got hearts in my eyes. I've been researching the two and happened to come here after an extended hiatus to see what's up and boom- Robert recently bought that very guitar. Crazy, man. Hopefully he'll find time to address the Deluxe Players questions I posted since they were posted with him in mind (no need to hurry, Robert; I know you're a busy dude ).

Here, just for kicks in the meantime: if I got the Standard MIM and did a pickup upgrade, what's everyone's favorite Strat pickups and why? What do they do for your sound that you like?

Post Thanks / Like

Ooook....didn't get much in the way of replies. Kind of surprising for such a "Stratty forum", especially considering I see that people do own some of these models I mentioned.

Anyway, I went to the store tonight and was trying them out again. I didn't care much for the Lonestar. Something about the feel threw me. I really liked the Deluxe every time it hit my hands and liked the sounds that came out of it for the most part, though they did have a bit of a sterile tone to them.

In the end, the Standard MIM just did me a little bit better as the whole package goes. After playing for a while, my hands came to terms with the feel of a 9.5" radius board (I've always been a Gibson feel sort of guy) and it started feeling right. So, I laid down the $400, I saved a bit of bread on the Standard and I can throw in whatever pickups I'd like down the road.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like a good route. For me, the tex mex pups are the right ones. These are different than the texas specials.

Like these:

http://www.aampselectricguitarstore....mex_strat.html

I tend to camp out on the neck pup right now. YMMV.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

69 set(fender c.s.) is sweet also! No reverse wound.I love them over my other custom shop sets.Noise and all!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I should mention, I ended up getting an HSS MIM. So for sets like, say, the two you guys listed, can you buy just the neck and middle pickups, instead of all three, or did I back myself into a corner here having to buy all three and leave the bridge unused?

Post Thanks / Like

I think the pearly gates(make sure you get the fender spaced version) and texmex or texas specials middle/neck combo is awesome and raunchy!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mudcat sounds like he has come up with a good option. I don't know about getting the tex mex ones separately, but they do give you some heat, and clean up really nicely in my opinion.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

To add ive not tried the tex mex set.They are cheaper than the other sets.(not sure if ya can get seperate except used) The texas specials to me are right on for raunchy blues and I love pearly gates,have and used them both !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

The tex mex ones are the ones in my guitar and any of the recent clips I posted were with those pups on the neck. The Bm collab shows them pretty clean, the Santana collab has them dirtied up with the fuzz pedal. For a better player showing what they do, look for StingX's clips. The Peavey C-30 appreciation thread has some good ones I think. Nothing against the texas specials at all, just what works for me.
    Steve Thompson
    Sun Valley, Idaho

- j. johnson

Post Thanks / Like

I'm kinda shocked no one brought up Seymour Duncan, Lace Sensors and Hot Stack Single coil pups,not that there is anything wrong with the tex mex
    there's not,just suprised the others were not brought up.consider all options before a final choice is made or decided on.nothing written in stone that says you have to get three single coils either.I have an hSS pup config myself and love it although MIJ it rocks however my pre CBS semi acoustic thinline Coronado Fender does too

Post Thanks / Like

Player, Pearly Gates is a Seymour Duncan and Danzego does have a H/S/S/ setup going.(Fender has a Seymour Pearly Gates model spaced for fender bridges and 4 wire for coil splitting)I think the DANZ has budget in mind.That is why I havent suggested any hand wound options.(Kinman,Lollars,Bare Knuckles, Stan Hinesley)
    Personally I never liked Lace but they are a good choice as I know others do like them(the red,blue,gold combo)

For cheaper alternatives Guitar Fetish has some great sounding pups.
    Last edited by mrmudcat; January 16th, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I have Texas Specials in my strat and surprising to me I can get a pretty good Skynyrd sound out of the guitar. I mean, it isn't dead on, but darn close. The tone is in the fingers and I'm just not THAT good. Sometimes it sucks to have so many choices, doesn't it?
    Gear:
    Guitars:
    1980 Gibson Les Paul Custom - Black w/Gold hardware
    Fender "Custom Shop" Stratocaster - Black
    2010 Martin D-1
    2002 Silver Satin Pearl Ovation CK057 Celebrity Acoustic-Electric Guitar
    70's Aria 12-String Acoustic
    Old Parlor Guitar
    Several Fullertons...LOL.

Amps:
    Pre 1980 Peavey Rhythm Master 400
    1996 Marshall Valvestate VS265
    Marshall MG-15RCD 15 Watt Combo with Reverb

Post Thanks / Like

A Pearly Gates is one of the 'buckers I had in mind when I'm going to change the Standards out. In fact, the Lonestar (one of the guitars I was looking at) already has one of those and two Texas Specials in it, but I was a bit weary about it due to Robert's experience (as seen in his review). I did give it a go yesterday, but it just didn't feel right for some reason. Power of suggestion, perhaps? I don't know.

I'm definitely on a budget, as mudcat correctly assumed. I mean, I wouldn't have been looking in the $400-$600 range if money wasn't a consideration; I would have just picked up a US made one and that would have been that. Someday, when I'm out of college and get a teaching position, I'll be ready to start thinking about putting a grand or so into a new axe. But this is just my first Fender for now.

Anyway, so many choices. Thanks for the suggestions so far, gents. I'm going to keep all these in mind and start looking into them when I have a chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about the miscue Mr. Mud,just that Seymour Duncan has so many different ones out there including several hand wound you mentioned.(perhaps not those named)but wound nonetheless.
    Danz: stay within your means for now as you put it.as things get better in the future one day you will see your way clear to upgrade.by then you should have a fair to midland idea of what's what and how they sound

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast